• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Which European country has the best railways?

johnnydoe

I agree about Germany, but Finland would be much lower in my opinion.
I probably elevated them higher due to their night trains - which I think are the best in Europe and extremely cheaply priced if you can book early. I see that Sweden has nearly 3x the freight volume at less than 2x the population.

The UK would certainly be in the top 5 if not for their very low rail freight volume, given their population. I put their passenger services well above France.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
There's some clever engineering in Spain to accommodate standard and broad gauge networks (with some dual gauge sections).
But it's sometimes just too complicated to deliver a simple service.
The next big thing will be completion of the "Basque Y" in the north east.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Renfe doesn't have a journey planner. It's just a train database with a crappy user interface, that doesn't even contain all their trains.
Well, that's part of the problem! You generally can't search for journeys that involve a mixture of Cercanías and other train types.

paul_munich

Best railways in Europe, and maybe worldwide, is, hands down, Germany! :)
We have a continuous high speed network between the mayor cities (from 2030 2tph) on the on hand an on the other hand Takt-scheduling for local trains, it is very cheap if you book a couple of days in advance (Sparpreis) and not to mention the 49€ Deutschland-Ticket. Overall reliability with only 90% off trains with less then 6' delay has seen better days, but DB is always getting you there. Looking forward when the general renovation of the mayor network, that will start with the Fra-Mannheim line this June is over, and the punctuality will be back to Swiss levels.
I know that I'm most likely the only one with this opinion but anyways... xD
Have a nice evening gentlemen!

rf_ioliver

I agree about Germany, but Finland would be much lower in my opinion.
You've said that twice about Finland, I'm curious to specifically know why?

I tend to rate those countries highest that do a lot with little investment
Based on that, probably Albania is the best :)

Personally, Netherlands and Belgium (and probably Luxembourg) are the best - admittedly they're run as giant commuter services.

Portugal always struck me as a country that's starting to get things in the right direction - lots of investment in electrification, the new line to Spain. OK, some connections could be better, eg: towards Vigo, but overall a good functional system I found.

Finland - I'm biased, but good trains, some lines could have better frequencies and more going out of Helsinki in the mornings.

nwales58

... Sweden has nearly 3x the freight volume at less than 2x the population.
Take care with freight tonnages where bulk minerals are involved.

Sweden's freight could be dominated by a certain group of iron ore mines in a remote region with a tiny population.

Similarly, most of Morocco's freight tonnage was carried on about 10 miles of track between a phosphate mine and port.

Intermodal container tonne km, not tonnes, is a better measure of real impact of rail freight.

johnnydoe

Sweden's freight could be dominated by a certain group of iron ore mines in a remote region with a tiny population.

Similarly, most of Morocco's freight tonnage was carried on about 10 miles of track between a phosphate mine and port.

Intermodal container tonne km, not tonnes, is a better measure of real impact of rail freight.
I'd imagine a lot of Finnish freight is comprised of logs.

eldomtom2

On Moderation

But of course even then there are lots of external factors affecting rail use that the railways themselves have very little control over.

rf_ioliver

I'd imagine a lot of Finnish freight is comprised of logs.
You can play with the data here: https://stat.fi/en/publication/cktybu3081xir0c52vhkkv724
The best I could do was 2022: 31.2 million tonnes of freight, average journey length 283km. There's a map here of freight flows: https://vayla.fi/documents/25230764...uljetusvirrat+2022_150223.pdf?t=1676465887106
I think a couple of good examples might be the pulp mills at Kemi and Äänekoski - on the map these show 1.560 and 2.091 million tonnes. I guess half of that is probably wood. Sorry couldn't find a breakdown of freight volumes by type.
Just also noting a few others, mills at Riistina and Toijala: 112,000 and 277,000 tonnes. Lines such as the Seinkäjoki-Kaskinen line with 145-271,000 tonnes of frieght - most of which is probably wood.

JonasB

You've said that twice about Finland, I'm curious to specifically know why?

The trains are great, especially the double deckers. But the question was about the best railways, and there is a lot lacking in many areas. Frequencies can be really horrible. And local and regional trains are more or less non-existent outside the capital region, many towns have no train service despite having a major rail line running through the the town.

stadler

Not much to elaborate on this question, it is quite simply a case of asking you the reader which European country has the best railways? Criteria could include it's efficiency of services, the maintenance of it's infrastructure, it's rolling stock, and the services themselves including ease of access, buying a ticket, value for money, punctuality, connectivity with other transport options, and the quality of customer service such as on-board catering and staff attitudes and behaviour. It might be easy to say that the British network doesn't particularly excel in any of these areas, and to an extent that is true, but I think to the UK's credit we have started picking up on the rolling stock side of things. I cannot think of many trains running on the network that are over 20 years old, especially in the south, and some major cities have good levels of connectivity. Notable examples for me include London, Liverpool and Newcastle where you can easily find taxi ranks or bus terminals outside major terminus stations.

I haven't travelled a lot on Italy's rail network, but I did experience a similar kind of delay that you might in Britain, which kind of gave me some perspective seeing as a lot of people might find it easy to compare the flaws of the UK network to those on the continent when they might also do things worse than we do. I can't quite say which European country has the best railways, but based on what I know about a lot of them as well as hearing the experiences of other people, it seems that Switzerland and quite possibly even the Czech Republic tend to perform the best in most areas. Switzerland in particular is known for it's density, punctuality and integration with other transport networks, and even if it may be somewhat expensive at first there are several travel passes that make it more affordable to travellers.

However, I can't quite be so confident in giving an answer, so I want to hear your ones. For anyone whose travelled on different European networks, which ones do you find to be the best? If you know anyone who has travelled on them, which ones did they find to be the best? I'm very interested to hear some of the opinions here and look forward to reading your posts.
That is difficult question to just pick one. Different countries do different things better. There are some countries railways which are excellent at some things but very poor at other things.

If we are including Northern Ireland as a country than i would say Northern Ireland wins easily. It is very hard to find another railway network in any country that even comes close to being as good as them. Translink Northern Ireland Railways is a perfect example of how to run a railway. Nice clean modern reliable trains. Delays and cancellations are very rare. I visit Northern Ireland every year and i do not think i have ever seen any delays or cancellations. Everything runs smoothly. Amazing integration between trains and buses with railway stations and bus stations located right next to each other. Bus tickets are valid on trains and train tickets are valid on buses in the evening. Everything is well maintained. Customer service is excellent and staff are very helpful. Tickets are very cheap compared to the mainland. None of this penalty fares and prosecutions for innocent mistakes and no TVMs either. You simply buy your ticket from a ticket office or from the Guard onboard the train. They make ticketing very simple and fair. It helps that Translink is just one company that runs all public transport and infrastructure. They operate the trains and buses and coaches. They maintain the tracks and infrastructure and carry out engineering works. So having one company that does everything rather than splitting it up in to hundreds of companies certainly helps. So i would say Northern Ireland easily wins if we are including that as a country.

Ireland is decent too but nowhere near as good as Northern Ireland though. Their branch lines frequency is very poor and last trains of the day are too early. But the fares are certainly better value than ours.

Otherwise my vote would go to Russia for the best in Europe i think. Their railways are certainly better than any other mainland European railway. Their network is incredibly reliable. In all my visits to Russia over the decades i do not think i have ever had a delayed or cancelled train. Even the very extensive Elektrichka suburban train networks in Moscow and St Petersburg and other cities run perfectly. The fares are very cheap. Huge investment in new trains in the last decade. Overall it just seems like a very well run railway. Belarus is similarly very good too and has improved a lot recently.

Luxembourg is very good too and is definitely one of the best ones. This is easily the best railway within the EU/EFTA/EEA area. It is a simple network that runs very well. It seems to be reliable and most trains run frequently. Best of all it is free of charge.

Estonia wins by far when it comes to accessibility. Estonia is the only country in Europe (and probably even the only country in the world) to have a 100% step free railway. Every station is fully step free from street to platform and every platform is full level with the trains meaning wheelchair users can simply wheel straight on with no ramps or assistance from staff required. So when it comes to accessibility Estonia easily wins. But the frequency of their trains outside of the Tallinn suburban area is very poor.

Latvia and Lithuania are very good too in terms of having a nice simple and reliable network with cheap fares. But again frequency outside of Riga and Vilnius is very poor. So the frequency is not great.

Austria, Belgium, Germany, Netherlands, Switzerland, are all good in terms of having very extensive networks with railways serving almost everywhere. Frequency is mostly good too. But these railways do also have their downsides such as Germany having very poor reliability especially on long distance trains and Switzerland having very high fares. The networks are also rather confusing these days with hundreds of private companies and every line being operated by a different company.

Denmark, Finland, Norway, Sweden, are quite decent too with fairly extensive networks. But again they have their downsides. Sweden in particular probably has the most passenger unfriendly network in all of Europe and they seem to go out of their way to make it impossible to buy tickets. No ticket offices or ticket machines or onboard sales meaning you are forced to buy from a nearby supermarket or convenience shop.

France and Italy are decent on the main high speed and intercity and suburban services. But on rural lines the frequency can be very poor. They both also have very complicating ticketing with France making you stamp your tickets before boarding and Italy often making you buy tickets from a nearby shop when travelling from smaller stations and branch lines.

Eastern Europe (Albania, Bosnia & Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Estonia, Croatia, Czech Republic, Hungary, Kosovo, Macedonia, Montenegro, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Romania, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia) varies greatly with some countries (Albania, Bosnia & Herzegovina, Macedonia, Montenegro) operating very few trains these days and others (Czech Republic, Poland, Slovakia, Slovenia) having very extensive networks. But the one thing that unites all of these countries is cheap good value fares. The fares in all these countries are still very cheap and excellent value.

This might not be a popular opinion but the UK is still rather good too. We are not as good as back in British Rail days and our railways have a lot of problems but there are a lot of things that we do better than other European countries. Most of our rural branch lines run far more frequently than in the mainland. Our trains run far later in to the evening. For example in the South East the last trains of the day from London to all over the Home Counties are at around 00:00 to 01:00 in the morning where as in the mainland last trains of the day are often as early as 20:00 in the evening. We have no compulsory reservations. You can buy one ticket between any two stations in the country. Our tickets are a lot more integrated as we have Any Permitted tickets allowing you to use any operator which is something that many other countries do not have.

Greece is quite poor with so many closed lines and only a few major mainlines and suburban networks still in operation.

Portugal is decent and a lot better than the Spanish railways but again the frequency is rather poor on the branch lines.

Spain is probably the worst. They run their entire operation like an airline. Security checks before boarding. No timetables published. Awful frequency outside of urban areas or major routes. Other than high speed there are almost no services outside of cities. They really have a severe lack of local regional trains.

Armenia, Azerbaijan, Georgia, Moldova, Ukraine, are great when it comes to having cheap fares. But otherwise the railways are awful with old trains that are falling apart. These countries have invested in newer trains for some of their intercity long distance routes but the regional branch lines have been completely neglected. The branch lines also have very poor frequencies.

Within the European Union and particularly Western Europe i find that the railways have been constantly going downhill every year. If you go back say fourty years to the 80s everything was so much better. I remember travelling around in the 80s and most of the European railways were a lot better compared to today. Even in the 00s it was better. These days reliability is so poor (with Germany being a good example) and prices are getting more expensive and more and more lines are being closed or the frequency is being reduced.

In the past every country in Europe had one railway company that ran all trains and all infrastructure but now the EU has forced privatisation i think this has made it a lot worse with multiple private companies (and far worse integration than the UK) and seperate companies running trains and infrastructure and signalling and tons of open access operators and you end up with a million different companies.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
The EU hasn't forced "privatisation", but it has clipped the wings of the state monopoly operators to allow new entrants and competition.
In most countries there is now a split between regional/local services (largely funded locally), and long distance services (funded centrally).
We chose to balkanise the GB network into 20-odd regional railways (much like pre-grouping) with roughly equal rights of access, and doubled usage.

Your "was better 20/40 years ago" seems to overlook the development of high speed rail in most western countries, often with cross-border operation.
The railway scene would be pretty grim without them.

duesselmartin

Established Member
Lets not forget travel was a lot more expensive 40 years ago.
Travelling has become so cheap that the systems are often a victim of their own success. Esp if investment did not keep pace.

rvdborgt

They're compulsory on "express" TERs in Normandy, but not anywhere else as far as I'm aware.
Not yet. I've heard the Grand Est region would be planning to make reservations mandatory on the Basel-Strasbourg TERs :/

Austriantrain

Established Member
Not yet. I've heard the Grand Est region would be planning to make reservations mandatory on the Basel-Strasbourg TERs :/

They really should know better, with Switzerland and Germany next door. Really, some countries can’t be helped.

DominoP

Swiss resident here… seems to me that Swiss trains seem to run on a reputation of the past.

Whilst the connections and network are fantastic, my daily trains to work are often late, cancelled or running with significantly fewer carriages. And even when running the correct amount of carriages, standing on a packed R9 is an everyday occurance.

Some of the trains on the network are and it seems to be a recurring problem of door failures on the older trains.

I have ta half fare card, but for those don’t it it prohibitively expensive IMO.

duesselmartin

Established Member
As mentioned before, western European trains have all suffered and are not what they use to be. Switzerland although still stands out compared to its neighbours.

alex397

Established Member
Id hardly say the Belgian network was the best, but I’ve always been impressed with my journeys with SNCB/NMBS.

I’m surprised how elderly some of the stock is (though as an enthusiast, very pleased!). And often badly covered in graffiti. Some of the stations leave little to be desired too (big contrasts between incredible stations like Antwerpen Centraal or Liege Guillemins, and less busy stations like in Bruxelles with Schaerbeek or Chappelle which are in a poor state)
But most of the main intercity routes have clean comfortable modern coaches, often double-deck.

Frequencies are good, and fares good too. Not the cheapest in Europe, but certainly cheaper than the UK. And simple fares too - not having to worry about peak/off peak nonsense. The fare offers have been welcome too - 2 for 1 return tickets, as well as a 50% off Winter Fare which I used last week.

WestCoast

Established Member
Id hardly say the Belgian network was the best, but I’ve always been impressed with my journeys with SNCB/NMBS.

I’m surprised how elderly some of the stock is (though as an enthusiast, very pleased!). And often badly covered in graffiti. Some of the stations leave little to be desired too (big contrasts between incredible stations like Antwerpen Centraal or Liege Guillemins, and less busy stations like in Bruxelles with Schaerbeek or Chappelle which are in a poor state)
But most of the main intercity routes have clean comfortable modern coaches, often double-deck.

Frequencies are good, and fares good too. Not the cheapest in Europe, but certainly cheaper than the UK. And simple fares too - not having to worry about peak/off peak nonsense. The fare offers have been welcome too - 2 for 1 return tickets, as well as a 50% off Winter Fare which I used last week.

I have thought the same about Belgium with some parts of the network looking scruffy and run down especially compared to say the Netherlands yet it actually seems to function quite well as a service offering a decent quality service at fair prices.

AlastairFraser

Established Member

Completely agreed - I would defo pick it as the best value railway too.
The carnet singles ticket especially impressed me, turn up and go anywhere in the country for max 8 euro per single, incredible value even for a small country.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
The carnet singles ticket especially impressed me, turn up and go anywhere in the country for max 8 euro per single, incredible value even for a small country.

I used to have a student GO Pass - 45 Euro for 10 rides anywhere on IC and local trains! I used a few during my time there. Handy to see my then partner in Gent when I lived in Bruxelles.

rvdborgt

€9.60 now and a bit more from 1 Feb.
I used to have a student GO Pass - 45 Euro for 10 rides anywhere on IC and local trains! I used a few during my time there. Handy to see my then partner in Gent when I lived in Bruxelles.
The Go Pass is now €57/€59 (lower price in the app).

AlastairFraser

Established Member
Thanks for the correction - I remember it was somewhat more than the under 26 carnet, but not quite how much more. Still pretty good value to be fair - try buying a walkup single of any distance for 9.60 eur/£8.30 here in the UK. Your options will be very limited hahahaha.
Ah the new equivalent was the under 26 carnets me and my friend were using recently - I believe it was 59 euro for 10 rides as RVDBorgt has corroborated.

Requeststop

I'd love to say the UK but since privatisation, with ticketing issues, strikes, lack of timetabling, train cancellations galore, really bizarre fare structures, etc, etc, etc, I couldn't say the UK has the best railways in spite of the route networking etc, and to add the farces of HS2 and Crossrail, the lack of proper investment in the infrastructure of the railways in the UK, the paucity of electrification, then the UK just doesn't have it. For me, it's the Swiss that has the best by far. A pleasure to travel on, in spite of the high fares. That's my vote.

A S Leib

I'd love to say the UK but since privatisation, with ticketing issues, strikes, lack of timetabling, train cancellations galore, really bizarre fare structures, etc, etc, etc, I couldn't say the UK has the best railways in spite of the route networking etc, and to add the farces of HS2 and Crossrail, the lack of proper investment in the infrastructure of the railways in the UK, the paucity of electrification, then the UK just doesn't have it. For me, it's the Swiss that has the best by far. A pleasure to travel on, in spite of the high fares. That's my vote.
I think the UK, does, if nothing else, have the most extensive preserved railway network in Europe, unless the Isle of Man's counted separately and size taken into account.

AlbertBeale

Established Member
The EU hasn't forced "privatisation", but it has clipped the wings of the state monopoly operators to allow new entrants and competition.
In most countries there is now a split between regional/local services (largely funded locally), and long distance services (funded centrally).
We chose to balkanise the GB network into 20-odd regional railways (much like pre-grouping) with roughly equal rights of access, and doubled usage.

Your "was better 20/40 years ago" seems to overlook the development of high speed rail in most western countries, often with cross-border operation.
The railway scene would be pretty grim without them.

In fact, EU rules require franchising/competition etc, and even before they required it the political culture of the EU pushed for it. (Same with postal services.) I find that fragmentation and (largely fake) "choice" makes travel much less convenient; I certainly found international rail travel around Europe was much easier and more pleasant and more integrated when all the services were in public hands. (Yes, I know there's been modernisation since then which has made some aspects of travel more comfortable, but that's not a function of privatisation.) Commercial competition in something which could and should be a public service is financially and environmentally wasteful and introduces unnecessary complications for passengers.

bahnause

I certainly found international rail travel around Europe was much easier and more pleasant and more integrated when all the services were in public hands.
Competition was introduced for the sake of competition, not to benefit the customer.