• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Which films have been shown the most times over the Christmas period ?

Willie Bee

Just watching The Great Escape for the umpteenth time made me think .. which other films seem to be shown almost every Christmas.

The Bridge over the River Kwai and Home Alone are also 'candidates' I think

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Peter C

Established Member
Chitty Chitty Bang Bang and Mary Poppins are always on at Christmas. The former felt like I was watching some bizarre fever dream when I saw it yesterday! :lol:

-Peter

dangie

Established Member
Are there any films which you own (or stream) which you religiously watch over Christmas?

For me, when the wife goes out with her sister, I watch Mel Brooks’s Blazing Saddles. That’s my traditional Christmas film.

brad465

Established Member
In Germany it's "Dinner for one", an old comedy show that apparently is repeated every year on New Year's eve on every channel.

scarby

In Germany it's "Dinner for one", an old comedy show that apparently is repeated every year on New Year's eve on every channel.
There is a similar thing in Sweden and other the Nordic countries with the Disney animated Christmas special "From All of Us To All of You" made in 1958, which in Sweden has been shown (with some slight amendments) every Christmas Eve since 1960. In 2019 it attracted an estimated 3.3 million viewers, with is about one third of the population.

Bevan Price

Established Member
Looking at Radio Times for the main Freeview Channels (BBC1&2, ITV, Channels 4 & 5, for the period between 23 - 27 December, plus 1 January, we find the following often-shown films - many likely to have been shown at Christmas and/or Easter:

The Big Sleep
Casablanca
Paddington
It's A Wonderful Life
Die Hard
The Dirty Dozen
The Sound of Music
White Christmas
Home Alone (1 and 2)
Chariots of Fire
The Italian Job
Forrest Gump
West Side Story
The Wizard of Oz
Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
The Great Escape
Raiders of the Lost Ark
The Dam Busters
Where Eagles Dare
Meet The Fockers
The Heroes of Telemark
Seven Brides for Seven Brothers.
For A Few Dollars More
High Society

Plus numerous others on other channels (free or subscription), and other days not listed above.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
I find it quite amusing some see the original Die Hard as a Christmas movie,:E for me it's not a Christmas movie but an action movie, the plot just happened to be set on Christmas eve.
"Now I have a Machine Gun. Ho-Ho-Ho".

The fact that it's Christmas is quite critical to the plot- if it wasn't for his wife being at a work Christmas bash, Bruce Willis's character would not have been there.
Die Hard is more of a Christmas movie than East 17's "Stay Another Day" is a Christmas song.

jumble

Just watching The Great Escape for the umpteenth time made me think .. which other films seem to be shown almost every Christmas.

The Bridge over the River Kwai and Home Alone are also 'candidates' I think
National Lampoon Christmas Vacation