• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Which is best?

Status
Not open for further replies.

freetoview33

Established Member
I admit I don't know a lot about this so thought I would ask!

Which current double decker is best?

Metrodecker, Streetdeck, E400MMC and any others.

Performance
Space
Comfort
Cost

and any other factors.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
I prefer the Enviro400 myself, I like the design and their interiors are really bright and spacious.

the101

Some of those criteria are subjective, and it is not likely that cost will be revealed, given that bus manufacturers rarely 'do' retail prices as a coach manufacturer will.

I think the only verifiable 'best' is fuel consumption. Reading Buses has tried all of the models named and its CEO went on record to say that the Metrodecker is the best in this regard. The Daimler engine used by Optare and Wrights at Euro 6 is apparently slightly more efficient than the Cummins on a specific power/fuel consumption basis - but overall fuel consumption in modern buses is influenced by many other aspects, such as 'smart' auxiliaries, power 'boost' on takeoff as recently revealed by ADL, gearbox oil pressures, and other such minutiae.

Strathclyder

Established Member
The only current-gen decker I've been on has been the E400MMCs, so my vote goes to them. Stylish, comfortable, spacious/bright interior & reasonably quick off the mark. The First 'Olympia' livery suits them well.

Last edited:

randyrippley

Established Member
any design which doesn't have the heads of failed rivets rattling inside the handrails........its too common a problem in all new buses even nowadays

nerd

The Leigh - Salford - Manchechester bus rapid transit route provides an interesting competition between the X34/34 service, operated by Stagecoach with E400MMCs (with upgraded seating); and the V1 service, operated by First with Vantage-branded Eclipse Gemini 3 (with upgraded seating and Streetdeck styling). Only the Vantage buses get to use the guided busway service; but the East Lancs road buslanes are available to both; and consequently there is very little difference in timings between the competitor services, except maybe in the morning peak.

The X34/34 service seems to be holding its own - but the explosive growth in patronage has been on the V1 services - even outside the peak. Partly, no doubt this must be due to regular peak period weekday passengers with First weekly tickets, using them outside peak hours; but it does seem that on this route at least; the Streetdeck style and branding is preferred. Maybe the E400MMCs are insufficiently distinct from standard Stagecoach services; and passengers from Leigh are buying into the premium brand. But personally, I think the Vantage buses are classier; and I also think their balance of accommodation - 63 seated, 28 standing - is better for a route that mixes long-distance rapid transit characteristics with city-centre hop-on/hop-off trips.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.