• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Which is your favourite and least favourite station announcer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who voiced the previous announcements on the FGW 165s and 166s before they got changed a couple years ago?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

greaterwest

Established Member
Who voiced the previous announcements on the FGW 165s and 166s before they got changed a couple years ago?

"Michelle", one of the drivers did it before it became GWR. There's an article about it somewhere, I believe it was called "The voice of the Turbo"

"Michelle", one of the drivers did it before it became GWR. There's an article about it somewhere, I believe it was called "The voice of the Turbo"

Thanks for the info. I have had a look and have found these articles about Michelle Beazley.

http://www.freelancemum.co.uk/2013/09/19/459/

http://www.freelancemum.co.uk/podcast/a-look-at-this-weeks-news-with-the-voice-of-the-turbo/

The podcast in the second article is Faye Dicker (the current GWR voice) interviewing Michelle Beazley (the previous GWR voice)! It seems so strange that the new GWR announcer was interviewing the previous GWR announcer!

I have then found this website of Faye Dicker.

http://www.fayedicker.com

Which has a sound clip video of her voice which includes some of her GWR announcements.

I then found this website which has a very useful (but a bit out of date) list of which on train and station announcements are used where.

http://automatedannouncements.wikia.com/wiki/Trains

http://automatedannouncements.wikia.com/wiki/Stations

These lists say that the FGW 165s and 166s use Anne. So i am wondering before Michelle Beazley was Anne actually used on the FGW 165s and 166s? If so was this Anne Jermy (who does the platform announcements at many stations such as those on the North Downs line)?

I have also found an old sound clip that i have attached of "Michelle Beazley" saying "Bletchworth" instead of "Betchworth"! I have no idea why she pronounced it with an "L"!

Attachments

• b(l)etchworth.mp3
    101.1 KB · Views: 53

greaterwest

Established Member
I don't believe that Anne ever announced on a F/GWR Turbo, that list is wrong about that.

Most of the things there are in fact correct, however.

I don't believe that Anne ever announced on a F/GWR Turbo, that list is wrong about that.

Most of the things there are in fact correct, however.

Ah ok. I didnt think so either. I have been using FGW 165s and 166s almost every day for many years and have only ever heard these two announcements. Has the "Anne" announcements ever been used on board any trains?

I dont suppose anyone knows the names of the voices on the First Trans Pennine Express class 185s and the Northern Rail class 319s?

greaterwest

Established Member
Ah ok. I didnt think so either. I have been using FGW 165s and 166s almost every day for many years and have only ever heard these two announcements. Has the "Anne" announcements ever been used on board any trains?

Thankfully not.

I dont suppose anyone knows the names of the voices on the First Trans Pennine Express class 185s and the Northern Rail class 319s?

"Unnamed Female" seems to be the only suitable name right now. The 185s/350s are a TPE member of staff. No idea about Northern's.

Thankfully not.

"Unnamed Female" seems to be the only suitable name right now. The 185s/350s are a TPE member of staff. No idea about Northern's.

There seems to be a lot of people that dislike her. I personally dont really mind "Anne" announcements. They seem clear and easy to understand. Her announcements are a thousand times better then those robotic Achapela Rachael announcements which are creeping up at many of the smaller rural Southeastern stations recently.

I could see Amey being a good voice to use on board trains and at more stations.

Also just one other question. Is the male voice who says "please mind the gap between the train and the platform" the same person on the 700s and S stock? If so is his name known?

louis97

Established Member
Also just one other question. Is the male voice who says "please mind the gap between the train and the platform" the same person on the 700s and S stock? If so is his name known?

I think its Matt, the Thameslink Male auto announcer.

greaterwest

Established Member
That's Acapela Rachel. Some of the Welsh pronunciations leave a lot to be desired.

I like Ruth, Celia and Phil as well though. Also the "Amey" lady (at London Victoria etc)

hibtastic

The automated announcements at Edinburgh Waverley sound very much like they were recorded by the station manager Juliet. I was never entirely sure if it was her though.

The announcer at Stalybridge annoys me when Liverpool services are announced as being for "Livpool"!

abn444

To me the "mind the gap" man thats now on the S-Stock (not sure about the 700s, I haven't been on one yet) sounds a lot like the guy that used to do the announcements on the class 458s

Thanks for the info. I have put together a summary of which announcements are used where.

Acapela Rachael
• Arriva Trains Wales stations (mainly the smaller more rural stations)
• East Midlands Trains stations (mainly the smaller more rural stations)
• Great Western Railway stations (mainly the smaller more rural stations)
• Southeastern stations (mainly the smaller more rural stations)

Alison Mckay (Fiona)
• Scotrail stations

Amey
• Blackpool North station
• Brighton station
• Crewe station
• East Croydon station
• Gatwick Airport station
• Lancaster station
• London Victoria station
• Oxenholme Lake District station
• Penrith North Lakes station
• Wigan North Western station
• Warrington Bank Quay station

Andrew Smith (Andy)
• Birmingham New Street station (now removed)

Andy Pope
• Sheffield Supertram Blue Line

Anita
• London Underground Jubilee Line 1996 stock

Anne Jermy (Atos Anne)
• Abellio Greater Anglia stations
• C2C stations
• East Midlands Trains stations
• Great Northern stations
• Great Western Railway stations
• London Overground stations
• Northern Rail stations
• Southeastern stations
• TFL Rail stations
• Thameslink stations
• Translink Northern Ireland Railways stations

Celia Drummond
• Chiltern Railways (almost all stations)
• Great Western Railway stations (now removed)
• London Underground Jubilee Line 1996 stock
• London Underground Northern Line 1995 stock
• Northern Rail stations
• South West Trains class 158
• South West Trains class 159
• South West Trains class 444
• South West Trains class 450
• South West Trains class 455
• South West Trains class 456
• South West Trains class 458
• South West Trains stations (almost all stations)
• Southern stations (almost all stations)

Claire Towers
• Nottingham Tram onboard announcements

Elinor Hamilton
• London Underground Circle Line stations
• London Underground District Line stations
• London Underground Hammersmith & City Line stations
• London Underground Jubilee Line stations
• London Underground Metropolitan Line stations
• London Underground Northern Line stations
• London Underground Picadilly Line stations
• London Underground Victoria Line stations

Emma Clarke
• London Underground C stock
• London Underground D stock
• London Underground Bakerloo Line 1972 stock
• London Underground Central Line 1992 stock
• London Underground Victoria Line 1967 stock

Emma Hignett
• London Overground class 172
• London Overground class 378
• London Overground stations

Faye Dicker
• Great Western Railway class 165
• Great Western Railway class 166
• Great Western Railway class 387

Fletcher Mathers
• Scotrail class 156
• Scotrail class 158
• Scotrail class 170
• Scotrail class 314
• Scotrail class 318
• Scotrail class 320
• Scotrail class 322
• Scotrail class 334
• Scotrail class 380

Glyn
• Arriva Trains Wales stations

Julie Berry
• Abellio Greater Anglia class 170
• Abellio Greater Anglia class 315
• Abellio Greater Anglia class 317
• Abellio Greater Anglia class 321
• Abellio Greater Anglia class 360
• Abellio Greater Anglia class 379
• C2C class 357
• C2C class 387
• Chiltern Railways class 165
• Chiltern Railways class 168
• Chiltern Railways class 172
• Gatwick Express class 387
• Gatwick Express class 442
• Great Northern class 317
• Great Northern class 321
• Great Northern class 365
• Great Western Railway class 387 (short platform "coach number x of x" announcements only)
• Heathrow Connect class 360
• Heathrow Express class 360
• London Midland class 170
• London Midland class 172
• London Midland class 319
• London Midland class 321
• London Midland class 323
• London Midland class 350
• London Overground class 315
• London Overground class 317
• London Overground class 321
• London Overground class 378 (short platform "coach number x of x" announcements only)
• London Underground Piccadilly Line 1973 stock
• Merseyrail class 507
• Merseyrail class 508
• Nottingham station (now removed)
• Southeastern class 375
• Southeastern class 376
• Southeastern class 395
• Southeastern class 465
• Southeastern class 466
• Southern class 171
• Southern class 313
• Southern class 377
• Southern class 455
• Southern class 456
• TFL Rail class 315
• Thameslink class 319
• Thameslink class 377
• Thameslink class 387
• Thameslink class 700

Karen
• Edinburgh Waverley station
• Glasgow Central station
• Glasgow Queen Street station

Kathy Clugston
• Translink Northern Ireland Railways class 3000
• Translink Northern Ireland Railways class 4000

Marie Harrison
• Sheffield Supertram Yellow Line

Martin Oldfield
• Northern Rail class 333

Matt
• Great Northern stations
• London Underground S stock (only the "please mind the gap between the train and the platform" announcements)
• South West Trains class 458 (now removed)
• Thameslink class 700 (only the "please mind the gap between the train and the platform" announcements)
• Thameslink stations

Michael Meech
• London Underground Jubilee Line 1996 stock (now removed)

Michelle Beazley
• Great Western Railway class 165 (now removed)
• Great Western Railway class 166 (now removed)

Mike
• Southeastern stations

Nicholas Owen
• Croydon Tram onboard announcements

Paul Timmins
• Sheffield Supertram Purple Line

Pauline Cavilla (Charlotte)
• London Underground Bakerloo Line stations
• London Underground Central Line stations
• Southeastern stations (now removed)

Phil Sayer
• Chiltern Railways stations (almost all stations)
• Great Western Railway stations (now removed)
• London Underground S stock (now removed [except for a few units])
• London Underground stations (the "mind the gap" and other safety announcements)
• Northern Rail stations
• South West Trains class 444 (now removed)
• South West Trains class 450 (now removed)
• South West Trains stations (almost all stations)
• Southern stations (almost all stations)

Rob
• First Trans Pennine Express stations
• Northern Rail stations

Rodger
• Great Western Railway stations

Roger
• Southeastern stations (now removed)

Ruth
• Arriva Trains Wales class 150
• Arriva Trains Wales class 153
• Arriva Trains Wales class 158
• Arriva Trains Wales class 175
• Arriva Trains Wales stations
• First Hull Trains class 180
• Grand Central class 180
• Great Western Railway class 180

Sarah Parnell
• London Underground C stock
• London Underground D stock
• London Underground S stock
• London Underground Victoria Line 2009 stock

Sonya
• Scotrail class 314 (now removed)
• Scotrail class 318 (now removed)
• Scotrail class 320 (now removed)
• Scotrail class 322 (now removed)
• Scotrail class 334 (now removed)

Theo Spring
• Croydon Tram onboard announcements

Unknown "DLR" Female
• Docklands Light Railway on board announcements

Unknown "FTPE" Female
• First Trans Pennine Express class 170
• First Trans Pennine Express class 185
• First Trans Pennine Express class 350

Unknown "Northern Rail" Female
• Northern Rail class 319
• Northern Rail class 321
• Northern Rail class 322

I might have missed out some?

Also who was the female voice who did the Gatwick Express class 460 announcements?

I am pretty sure that abn444 is correct that the male voice on the - 458/0s / 700s / S stock / Great Northern stations / Thameslink stations - is the same person.

Last edited:

greaterwest

Established Member
Nice list, seems to be mostly accurate from my experiences. Just a few things.

I wasn't aware Phil was at any SouthEastern stations. Which stations have you heard him at?

Celia does Eurostar announcements at St Pancras but I'm not aware of any other place on the SouthEastern network she is.

Ruth is also on some unrefurbished ex Wessex Trains (now GWR) 142s, 150s and 158s making a generic safety announcement every now and again. Not sure about the 153s.

Also as above, the Amey system at Crewe has been recently switched on.

I wasn't aware Phil was at any SouthEastern stations. Which stations have you heard him at?

Celia does Eurostar announcements at St Pancras but I'm not aware of any other place on the SouthEastern network she is.

Don't think I've ever heard Phil at Southeastern stations. He was at Victoria before Amey was introduced.

I don't believe Celia is found anywhere else on the Southeastern network.

This site may be of use:

http://automatedannouncements.wikia.com/wiki/Automated_Announcements_Wiki

greaterwest

Established Member
Yes, that site is correct in terms of stations. I've seen it a fair few times before.

Parallel

Established Member
Ruth is also on some unrefurbished ex Wessex Trains (now GWR) 142s, 150s and 158s making a generic safety announcement every now and again. Not sure about the 153s.

Ruth has generic automated announcements on the 143s. Interestingly, her voice only appears on one or two of the 153s, I've never heard her on most. I'm not sure which ones were with Wessex Trains. I've also heard the generic announcements on refurbished 150248 when the PIS is switched off, on two occasions. But they seem to be removed on the other refurbed 150s.

Considering how unreliable the modern autoannouncements on trains can be, it does amuse me that the generic Ruth safety announcements seem indestructible. I once heard a guard trying to talk over them but the announcements just kept playing over the top of him. :lol:

Acapella Rachel is also at some GWR stations that have recently received electronic display boards. I.e. Keynsham.

Thanks for the info. I will update my list. For some reason i thought that Phil Sayer and Celia Drummond were at some Southeastern stations but you are correct that they are not. Maybe i was thinking of Nutfield / Godstone / Edenbridge / Penshurst / Leigh which used to be Southeastern stations.

Some of the "Ruth" announcements such as this one i found - https://youtu.be/c23vixysHT0 - are quite impressive with all the difficult Welsh pronounciations.

I also just found a post on this thread - http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=65252 - which says that "Matt" is a member of this forum! Im not sure what his username is?

All Line Rover

Established Member
Aw no, instead of the 'live' announcer? He was brilliant, I always visualized him with his feet on the desk, copy of the Torygraph open and cricket on a telly in the corner, breaking off occasionally to make announcements. He sounded a class act.

Yes, he was not best suited to announcements, but the female announcers were / are excellent.

The automated announcements are particularly ill-suited to platform alterations. A manual announcement would say:

"Platform alteration. Platform alteration. The eleven fifty six service to London Euston will now be departing from platform eleven."​

And presumably for three alterations in succession would say:

"Platform alterations. Platform alterations. The eleven fifty six service to London Euston will now be departing from platform eleven. The twelve o one service to London Euston via Birmingham New Street will now be departing from platform six. The twelve eleven service to Manchester Piccadilly will now be departing from platform one."​

Whereas the automated announcements are along the lines of:

"May I have your attention please... This is a platform alternation... The eleven... fifty six... Virgin Trains... service to... London Euston... which was originally scheduled to depart from... platform six... will now be departing from... platform eleven."​

...then ten seconds later...

"May I have your attention please... This is a platform alternation... The twelve... o one... Virgin Trains... service to... London Euston via... Birmingham New Street... which was originally scheduled to depart from... platform five... will now be departing from... platform six."​

...and so on.

By the time the first announcement has finished, a passenger may have missed their train, let alone by the time the second or even third announcement has finished!

Last edited:

Shinkansenfan

What a great thread!

As someone who lives across the "Pond" I've always wondered who was that woman with the piercing voice who made many of the station announcements in the Southeast in the late 1970's/early 80's?

Example: "Ashford! This is Ashford! The train standing on Platform 1 is the..."

On a foggy Kent morning, that voice would (to my ears) pierce through the fog.

I find Phil Sayer's voice a pleasant blend of tone, diction and authority.

Status
Not open for further replies.