• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Which trains still have hopper toilet that release onto the track? (2023)

Status
Not open for further replies.

thenorthern

Established Member
Earlier this week I was having a discussion with someone about the "do not flush while the train is in a station" sings in train toilets as they came across one recently.

I was wondering though which rolling stock still releases toilet waste directly onto the tracks? Also when were the last trains built that didn't have retention tanks.

I know when a lot of trains were refurbished to meet PRM standards they had retention tanks fitted.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Not sure by any means, but I've a feeling the last "new" stock without retention tanks would be the 321/9s procured by West Yorkshire PTE, or possibly the 323s.

I don't think there'll be anything in regular service that still dumps on the tracks, maybe some charter stock. Anything that didn't have the entire toilet module ripped out and replaced might still have the warning stickers in place even after tanks were fitted.

Alfie1014

Pretty sure no trains operating scheduled services have them now. They should all have been gone by Dec 2020 (in line with all trains being PRM TSI compliant), but due to external factors (including COVID) the last non compliant trains with toilets were the the non PRM GA 321s that were withdrawn last summer I think?

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
It’s just some of the private coaching stock left in use which usually runs on charter trains. Some have been fitted but some such as the vintage trains ones haven’t yet.

LowLevel

Established Member
Charter trains but they have all to be done by, if I remember rightly, May 2023.

All other trains are already done and have been for a little while.

1Q18

Charter trains but they have all to be done by, if I remember rightly, May 2023.

I believe that some charter stock has a derogation to run a short time past May but with a plan in place to fit CET* asap.

*Controlled Emission Toilets

jagardner1984

Was there not quite a concerted (and very justified) RMT campaign on this a few years back.

Always astonished me how in major terminals you would just be looking at raw sewage on the tracks whilst awaiting your train until really very recently !

fgwrich

Established Member

I'm not sure what else is left that hasn't had them fitted by now;

LSL's Mk1 rake has them, along with CDL (and additional vehicles are having them fitted at the point of rebuild)
LSL's Mk2 rake has them (Statesman Rail)
LSL's Mk3s has had them fitted with additional vehicles having them fitted at the point of repaint
WCRC's Mk1s I believe has had some fitted, SRPS likewise
125 Group is currently fitting them (currently at the prototype stage with 42111)

The only vehicles possibly not yet fitted are West Coast's ex Riviera Mk1 rake. VSOE has them.

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
I'm not sure what else is left that hasn't had them fitted by now;

LSL's Mk1 rake has them, along with CDL (and additional vehicles are having them fitted at the point of rebuild)
LSL's Mk2 rake has them (Statesman Rail)
LSL's Mk3s has had them fitted with additional vehicles having them fitted at the point of repaint
WCRC's Mk1s I believe has had some fitted, SRPS likewise
125 Group is currently fitting them (currently at the prototype stage with 42111)

The only vehicles possibly not yet fitted are West Coast's ex Riviera Mk1 rake. VSOE has them.

Vintage trains don’t have them yet.

blue87

Not sure by any means, but I've a feeling the last "new" stock without retention tanks would be the 321/9s procured by West Yorkshire PTE, or possibly the 323s.

I don't think there'll be anything in regular service that still dumps on the tracks, maybe some charter stock. Anything that didn't have the entire toilet module ripped out and replaced might still have the warning stickers in place even after tanks were fitted.
Class 323s had retention tank toilets from New they certainly do now they've be retrofitted with disabled toilets which are the vacuum type like most other trains.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Class 323s had retention tank toilets from New they certainly do now they've be retrofitted with disabled toilets which are the vacuum type like most other trains.
Cheers, wasn't sure if they had them from new.

Any advances on the OP's question on the last new stock that didn't have tanks?

(But did have toilets, before some smart-alec suggests the LO Aventras or 777s) ;)

1Q18

What about the mk2 & mk1s in the Network rail track monitoring loco hauled sets?
The last discharge toilets in the infrastructure monitoring fleet were decommissioned or replaced around two years ago. The Caledonian Sleeper vehicles were a quick fix hire to add controlled emission toilets to the ultrasonic trains. The PLPR fleet and New Measurement Train have had CET toilets for quite a few years.

And the TSOs acquired from DRS in the last year or two.
The toilets on those aren’t used, AFAIK. I don’t believe they’ve been fitted with our 415V high level jumper cables to power them, they’re just brake runners.

On Moderation
The toilets on those aren’t used, AFAIK. I don’t believe they’ve been fitted with our 415V high level jumper cables to power them, they’re just brake runners.
Ta for that. I had understood the reason for acquiring them was to allow the BUOs to be off-leased. Obviously not!

Status
Not open for further replies.