• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Which tramways have you used?

Which tramway networks have you travelled on?

• Birmingham West Midlands Metro

Votes: 251 42.4%
  • Blackpool Tramway

Votes: 340 57.4%
  • Croydon Tramlink

Votes: 310 52.4%
  • Manchester Metrolink

Votes: 424 71.6%
  • Nottingham Express Transit

Votes: 267 45.1%
  • Sheffield Supertram

Votes: 307 51.9%
  • Crich Tramway

Votes: 186 31.4%
  • Heaton Park Tramway

Votes: 54 9.1%
  • Seaton Tramway

Votes: 107 18.1%
  • Wirral Tramway

Votes: 54 9.1%
  • Cliff Tramways: please tell which ones in the comments (includes Shipley Glen).

Votes: 127 21.5%
  • Museum Trams: such as Beamish or Black Country Living Musuem.

Votes: 205 34.6%
  • A now defunct tramway: please tell which networks in the comments.

Votes: 20 3.4%
  • Douglas (Isle of Man)

Votes: 99 16.7%
  • Edinburgh (Scotland)

Votes: 254 42.9%
  • Great Orme (Wales)

Votes: 152 25.7%
  • Amsterdam (Holland)

Votes: 176 29.7%
  • Dublin (Ireland)

Votes: 138 23.3%
  • One or more not on the list: please tell which tram networks in the comments.

Votes: 147 24.8%
  • Docklands Light Railway (included as some consider it's vehicles as trams)

Votes: 429 72.5%

• Total voters

Melbourne, Le Mans and Amsterdam tramways
Lynton- Lynmouth funicular

Funicular railway at the Centre for Alternative Technology in Powys

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

raafif

It was so long ago :frown:, I forgot that I'd been on the the Lynton & Lynmouth water-powered Funicular Railway, also the "tram" inside the Jungfrau in Switzerland.

Attachments

• lynton1.jpg
    lynton1.jpg
    323.3 KB · Views: 8
  • lynton2.jpg
    lynton2.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 7
  • lynton3.jpg
    lynton3.jpg
    330.2 KB · Views: 6
  • lynton4.jpg
    lynton4.jpg
    556.9 KB · Views: 8
  • lynton5.jpg
    lynton5.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 8

Western 52

It was so long ago :frown:, I forgot that I'd been on the the Lynton & Lynmouth water-powered Funicular Railway, also the "tram" inside the Jungfrau in Switzerland.
I last went to Lynton about 1975. At the time the fare was just a few pence each way, but a higher fare to go up than down ! What are the fares nowadays?

jumble

In the last 10 years or so

Vintage Tram Running specials on public streets
Basel
Geneva
Prague
Stockholm
Brussels
Darmstadt ( Steam train)
Dresden
Kusttram
Blackpool

Classic trams in normal service
San Francisico
Boston Ashmont Mattepan
Lisbon
Porto
Sintra

Normal Trams
San Diego
Mulhouse
Ghent
Update
Toronto
Kenosha
In 2 weeks Thuin ( Belgium) Museum but runs on Public streets
Berlin

route101

Established Member
Edinburgh, Manchester, Nottingham, Croydon, West Midlands and Blackpool in the UK.

87electric

I last went to Lynton about 1975. At the time the fare was just a few pence each way, but a higher fare to go up than down ! What are the fares nowadays?
Lynton is £3.30 each way now. My first time was this year which is shocking (call myself an enthusiast?), it propped up the bucket list for decades.

100andthirty

Brussels,
Leipzig,
Dresden,
Amsterdam,
Brno,
Prague,
Pilzen,
Barcelona,
Bologna,
Milan,
Mont Blanc Tramway (rack railway)
Zurich,
Bern,
Basel,
Vienna,
Linz,
Porto,
Lisbon,
Bordeaux,
Peak Tram (Hong Kong),
Sydney

ElBoiii

I use the Sheffield Supertram but not that much. My last trip on it was about a month ago from Infirmary Road (?) to Cathedral.

eoff

Funny how Brits will say "ooh, watch out for pickpockets!" if you mention that you're visiting pretty much any city in Europe from Prague to Barcelona...
I had no concerns myself about Prague as I knew nothing about it, it was a local resident who told me to be careful about specific areas when I let them know my travel plans.

Mikey C

Established Member
Lynton is £3.30 each way now. My first time was this year which is shocking (call myself an enthusiast?), it propped up the bucket list for decades.
Wow, yes it's an historic marvel, but hadn't realised it was so expensive now. Kids are £2.20, and no discounts for OAPs either.

As of today I can add the Volks Electric Railway which I’d forgotten about having last been on it about 50 years ago

AndrewE

Established Member
Was on Prague trams last week, notable for being free for over 65s/under 15s and cheaper for over 60s.

Sorry I don't know, I was more worried about watching for pickpockets than looking at the trams.
we were warned by locals in Sofia too, maybe 15 years ago! Didn't suffer though, maybe we looked too poor!

geoffk

Established Member
Wow, yes it's an historic marvel, but hadn't realised it was so expensive now. Kids are £2.20, and no discounts for OAPs either.
Yes, £3.30 each way. I rode on it this week, having previously done so in around 1949 or 50 when a little lad on a family holiday (that was before the great flood of Lynmouth). Earlier this year I rode on the Ebbw Vale cableway, not a funicular, very modern and free, so a big contrast. Babbacombe is quite near so I might try the cliff lift/railway there next year.

Not many for me - Blackpool, Crich, Manchester Metrolink, West Midlands Metro, Douglas, Great Orme, San Francisco, Kraków.

Scarborough Cliff Tramway
Also: Rotterdam, the Belgian coast tram and the one in Bergen which I forget the name of!

DanNCL

Established Member
Updated list for me, now in chronological order:

pre 2011 - Beamish museum
pre 2011 - Sheffield Supertram
pre 2011 - Nottingham Express Transit
pre 2011 - Croydon Tramlink
pre 2011 - National Tramway Museum Crich
2011 - Manchester Metrolink
2011 - Blackpool Tramway
2011 - West Midlands Metro
2012 - Manx Electric Railway
2012 - Snaefell Mountain Railway
2012 - Douglas Horse Tramway
2013 - Frankfurt am Main Straßenbahn
2013 - Frankfurt am Main Stadtbahn
2014 - Edinburgh Trams
2015 - Seaton Tramway
2015 - Stuttgart Stadtbahn (standard gauge)
2015 - Stuttgart Zacke (rack railway with street running)
2015 - Stuttgart Heritage Trams (narrow gauge)
2016 - Munich Straßenbahn
2017 - Staten Island Tramway Roosevelt Island Tramway (bit cheeky including this as it's actually a cable car, but as it's got the word tramway in it's name...!)
2022 - Wien Straßenbahn
2022 - Bratislava Tramway
2022 - Graz Straßenbahn

Last edited:

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Manchester Metrolink
Sheffield Supertram
West Midlands Metro
Blackpool Tramway
Great Orme Tramway
Heaton Park Tramway
Seaton Tramway

Incidentally, in 1976 when we travelled for the first time on the Great Orme tramway, we were staying in a B&B first floor apartment directly across the way from the terminus in Llandudno which gave excellent views.

bluegoblin7

Established Member
The whole point is that they SHOULDN'T have included it, because the DLR is NOT a tramway.
It’s a fairly arbitrary line. The DLR is unequivocally a light railway; most so-called ‘second generation tramways’ are also light railways with on-street running. The DLR has a lot in common with Metrolink, for example.

What would you call the former line from Weymouth to the Harbour? The erstwhile link between Grimsby and Immingham?

FWIW I wouldn’t consider the DLR as a tramway either, but its vehicles, as made clear in the poll, are tram-derived. They’re no less trams than, for instance, the M5000 (and by extension CR4000) vehicles on the Metrolink (/Croydon) systems.

Needless pedantry screaming your personal opinion isn’t helpful when it is fairly universally accepted in professional tramway/light railway circles that definitions and practices overlap, resulting in grey areas. There is nothing wrong with a grey area in this context.

Sunil_P

It’s a fairly arbitrary line. The DLR is unequivocally a light railway; most so-called ‘second generation tramways’ are also light railways with on-street running. The DLR has a lot in common with Metrolink, for example.

What would you call the former line from Weymouth to the Harbour? The erstwhile link between Grimsby and Immingham?

FWIW I wouldn’t consider the DLR as a tramway either, but its vehicles, as made clear in the poll, are tram-derived. They’re no less trams than, for instance, the M5000 (and by extension CR4000) vehicles on the Metrolink (/Croydon) systems.

Needless pedantry screaming your personal opinion isn’t helpful when it is fairly universally accepted in professional tramway/light railway circles that definitions and practices overlap, resulting in grey areas. There is nothing wrong with a grey area in this context.
Except there are no "grey areas".

There is NO STREET RUNNING on London's DLR.

Not at Stratford, not at Canary Wharf, not at Bank/Tower Gateway, not at Greenwich, not at Lewisham, not at Woolwich, not at Beckton. Nowhere on the system.

bluegoblin7

Established Member

Not at Stratford, not at Canary Wharf, not at Bank/Tower Gateway, not at Greenwich, not at Lewisham, not at Woolwich, not at Beckton. Nowhere on the system.
There is absolutely no requirement for a tramway to have street running. By strict definition the IFS Cloud Cable Car could be considered as a tramway. Which part of the Shipley Glen Tramway has on-street running?

Grey areas, grey areas and more grey areas, which date back, at this stage, centuries. The term ‘tramway’ significantly pre-dates the first on-street, town tramway system in Blackpool in 1884. There are countless more contemporary examples that do not have, and have never had, street running.

You are getting far too upset and irate about something that really is not that deep.

Last edited:

AM9

Veteran Member

As far as this thread is concerned, the DLR is included along with what you insist are tramways. You are of course free to start your own thread defining exactly what qualifies and what doesn't.

Ken H

On Moderation
As far as this thread is concerned, the DLR is included along with what you insist are tramways. You are of course free to start your own thread defining exactly what qualifies and what doesn't.
I think the confusion is because when first mooted T&W and DLR has some idea of later street running extensions and some passive provision was designed in.