• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Which tramways have you used?

Which tramway networks have you travelled on?

• Birmingham West Midlands Metro

Votes: 250 42.3%
  • Blackpool Tramway

Votes: 339 57.4%
  • Croydon Tramlink

Votes: 309 52.3%
  • Manchester Metrolink

Votes: 423 71.6%
  • Nottingham Express Transit

Votes: 267 45.2%
  • Sheffield Supertram

Votes: 306 51.8%
  • Crich Tramway

Votes: 185 31.3%
  • Heaton Park Tramway

Votes: 53 9.0%
  • Seaton Tramway

Votes: 107 18.1%
  • Wirral Tramway

Votes: 54 9.1%
  • Cliff Tramways: please tell which ones in the comments (includes Shipley Glen).

Votes: 127 21.5%
  • Museum Trams: such as Beamish or Black Country Living Musuem.

Votes: 204 34.5%
  • A now defunct tramway: please tell which networks in the comments.

Votes: 20 3.4%
  • Douglas (Isle of Man)

Votes: 99 16.8%
  • Edinburgh (Scotland)

Votes: 253 42.8%
  • Great Orme (Wales)

Votes: 150 25.4%
  • Amsterdam (Holland)

Votes: 175 29.6%
  • Dublin (Ireland)

Votes: 137 23.2%
  • One or more not on the list: please tell which tram networks in the comments.

Votes: 147 24.9%
  • Docklands Light Railway (included as some consider it's vehicles as trams)

Votes: 428 72.4%

• Total voters
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

dazzler

Outwith the above, I have used the following:

France
Nantes
Grenoble
Lille
Marseille
Strasbourg
Mulhouse
Saint-Étienne

Germany
Düsseldorf
Köln
Frankfurt
Karlsruhe
Berlin

Czech Republic
Praha
Italy
Milano
Torino
Roma

Switzerland
Zürich
Belgium
Gent
Kusttram
Antwerpen
Brussel/Bruxelles
Netherlands
Rotterdam
Den Haag
Amsterdam
Utrecht
Austria
Innsbruck
Wien

johnnychips

Established Member
Those not on the list:

UK: Babbacombe, Scarborough
Netherlands: Amsterdam, Den Haag
Belgium: Antwerpen, Gent, Brussel, Kusttram, Thuin
Italy: Milano, Roma
Austria: Wien
Switzerland: Basel, Geneve
Slovakia: Bratislava
Germany: Frankfurt am Main, Frankfurt an der Oder, Berlin, Brandenburg, Dresden, Mannheim/Heidelberg
Spain: Soller, Barcelona
Portugal: Lisbon, Oporto
Czechia: Brno
Poland: Poznan, Katowice
Hungary: Budapest
Latvia: Riga
Japan: Nagasaki

Last edited:

Ianigsy

Not on the list: Melbourne, Bendigo, Christchurch, Berlin, Prague, Vienna, Milan, Stockholm, Bergen, Toronto, Cologne, Calgary

Off the list:

Debdale Park trial prior to Metrolink
Milan
Gothenburg
Helsinki
Stockholm
Hannover
Berlin
Bremen ( driven a tram round the depot too)

GrimsbyPacer

Established Member
Sheffield Supertram, and I really enjoyed it.
I am glad to hear it :) , those are cool trams.

Thanks everyone who replied so far, this has been more interesting to read than I expected, lots of tramways I never even heard of are included, and some interesting details.
The poll results are surprising in that the West Midlands Metro looks to be a lot less likely to be ridden than any of the other six major tramways, so far.

I've used trams in Santos, Brazil. Was there on a work trip in 2011.

View attachment 108582
Nice picture :) .

Seemed to have omitted the Manx Electric and Snaefell which are essentially tramways or are they included in Douglas?
The were considered but omitted, it appeared the wheels on the vehicles were not covered as on trams, and the railway didn't appear to have any street running sections as far as I could tell. The vehicles are partially based on old Blackpool Tramcars that had the corner doors though. The border between trams and trains is murky at times, and it is fine for anyone to mention anything which is not clear. Both those Manx lines were mentioned before your post, so I might be wrong.

John Luxton

Established Member
The were considered but omitted, it appeared the wheels on the vehicles were not covered as on trams, and the railway didn't appear to have any street running sections as far as I could tell. The vehicles are partially based on old Blackpool Tramcars that had the corner doors though. The border between trams and trains is murky at times, and it is fine for anyone to mention anything which is not clear. Both those Manx lines were mentioned before your post, so I might be wrong.
The MER/SMR trams are very much based on the Blackpool and Fleetwood Tramroad design.

Not sure what you mean by "covered wheels" many trams had uncovered wheels - it is only since the new generation of low bodied cars came along that wheels have been last noticeable.

Galvanize

In addition to the various UK and Irish systems…I’ve travelled on several systems Overseas:
Portugal:
Porto (both the Metro and the Heritage Systems)
Lisbon

Switzerland:
Zurich
Bern

Germany:
Essen
Düsseldorf
Berlin (including Rudersdorf and Woltersdorf systems out in the sticks)
Potsdam
Munich

Austria:
Vienna
Linz
Innsbruck

Belgium:
Ghent
Antwerpen
Brussels

The Netherlands:
Amsterdam (just for a couple of stops!)
The Hague

Czechia:
Prague
Brno

Slovakia:
Bratislava

Hungary:
Budapest

Ukraine:
Kyiv (one of, cannot remember the name of which system it was).

Latvia:
Riga

Estonia:
Tallinn

Finland:
Helskini

Out of all of those…
Vienna, Riga and one of the Berlin Suburbs Tramways score as my favourites either due to rolling stock, scenery or extensiveness, getting to see parts of the Cities that Tourists normally wouldn’t! I’m still recovering from acute Whiplash I may or may not have received from travelling on the Trams in Lisbon several years ago…my word they have such sharp brakes.

Polarbear

Established Member
The ones not on the list that I've travelled on include;

Kusttram, Paris, Bordeaux, Strasbourg, Clermont Ferrand (if that counts as it's a pneumatic tyre based system with a single guide rail), Antwerp, Zurich, Bern, Basle, Milan, Vienna, Graz, Budapest, Krakow, Bratislava, and Melbourne.

Of long closed ones I did;
Liverpool
Hamburg
Zaragoza
Blackpool (most of the back street lines such as Marton, Royal Oak and North Station)
Porto ( again the closed lines to Matasinhos and Boa Vista where there was a huge tram shed and the ng steam shed).

Of the tramways not on the list, I've travelled on:

Summerlee
Berlin
Barcelona
Potsdam
Budapest
Dusseldorf (in 2014 not long before some of the routes in the city centre were moved underground)
Cologne
Krefeld

Mikey C

Established Member
Struggling to remember all the overseas tram networks I've used, but off the top of my head

Vienna
Brussels
Amsterdam
The Hague/Rotterdam
Stockholm
Prague
Budapest
Lisbon
Lucerne

San Francisco
Hong Kong
Melbourne

AndrewE

Established Member
Riga (conductress delighted that we could use Russian to buy ticket)
Sofia
Brussels
Lisbon
Porto
Milan
Berlin - just after the wall fell
Rome
Gdansk
Budapest...

zuriblue

Off the list

Switzerland: Zürich, Basel, Bern, Geneva, Forchbahn, Bremgarten-Dietikon, Solothurn-Langenthal, Wil-Frauenfeld (the last 4 are interurbans but have a lot of street running)

Germany: Berlin, Rhein-Ruhr (Düsseldorf, Dortmund, Krefeld, Bogestra), Frankfurt, Karlsruhe, Mannheim, Freiburg am Breisgau, Köln

Belgium: Brussels, Coastal Tram,

France: Paris, Mulhouse, Strasbourg

Spain: Barcelona

US: DART, McKinley Streetcar, New Orleans,

Canada: Toronto

LSWR Cavalier

Established Member
The extensive Leipziger Strassenbahn is very good, I wonder if anyone riding notices that the gauge is actually 1458 mm, not 1435 mm.

I have an enchanting book in German by Root Leeb/Roberta Laub: TRAMFRAU (ISBN 3-905493-66-7), she was a tram driver in Muenchen.

duncanp

Established Member
I have also used the Tramway Touristique between Marquette and Wambrechies, in the outskirts of Lille, in France.

It runs on Sunday afternoons between May and September, and also Wednesdays in the peak summer season.

www.amitram.fr

Attachments

• Tramway Touristique 5.JPG
    Tramway Touristique 5.JPG
    4.7 MB · Views: 8

duncanp

Established Member
Forgot to say I have also used the trams in Strasbourg, which now extend over the border to Keil-Am-Rhein in Germany.

I have also ridden on the trams in Basel and Cologne.

Plus the tramway at the Glasgow Garden Festival in 1988.

And the tramway at the Black Country Living Museum in Dudley.

Forgot to say I have also used the trams in Strasbourg, which now extend over the border to Keil-Am-Rhein in Germany.

I have also ridden on the trams in Basel and Cologne.

Plus the tramway at the Glasgow Garden Festival in 1988.

And the tramway at the Black Country Living Museum in Dudley.
I had completely forgotten there was a tram at the Glasgow Garden Festival!

daodao

Established Member
Two closed tramways that I have travelled on, and that have not yet been mentioned in this thread, include Leeds (so I have been told - I was too young to remember) and Copenhagen (closed 1972). Other overseas tramways that I have used include Helsinki, Leningrad, Moscow and Hong Kong island (together with the Peak Tram). Other overseas systems that I recall seeing (but never used) include Aarhus (closed 1971, but now revived), Helsingborg (closed 1967 when Sweden changed to driving on the right), Berne (plus the Worb interurban) and Zurich. I vaguely recall seeing, but not using, Sheffield trams in 1960.

Fireless

Just the normal tram systems I remember...

Germany:
  • NRW: All systems, including BMB Wuppertal, easier to list where I haven't been (a single stop in Bielefeld, a short new built section in Bochum and some minor bits and bobs in and around Cologne and Bonn)
  • Bavaria: Munich, Nuremberg, Augsburg
  • Berlin: BVG, SRS (little bit in Berlin)
  • Brandenburg: All systems (Brandenburg, Cottbus, Frankfurt, Potsdam, rest of the SRS, Strausberg, Woltersdorf)
  • Hessen: Frankfurt, Kassel
  • Bremen: BSAG
  • Lower saxony: Completed (Hannover, Braunschweig, bit of the Bremen tram=
  • Saxony: Dresden, Bad Schandau
  • Saxony-Anhalt: Halberstadt, Naumburg
  • Thüringen: All systems (Erfurt, Gera, Gotha, Jena)
  • RLP: Ludwigshafen
  • Baden-Würtemberg: Mannheim and Freiburg
  • Mecklenburg-Vorpommern: Rostock
Netherlands: All systems (Amsterdam, Den Haag, Rotterdam, Utrecht (high and low floor), EMA Amsterdam and Openluchtmuseum Arnhem)

Belgium: All regular systems in the flemish region (Antwerpen, Coast, Gent, Brussel)

Austria:
  • Vienna
  • Innsbruck
  • Graz
  • Mariazell heritage tramway
Sweden: Göteborg

Czechia: Prague

Spain: Soller

Isle of Man: All recent systems, including the old Douglas horse tram

England: Croydon, Manchester, Blackpool, Beamish

Wales: Llandudno, Betws-y-Coed

Update 2022_07_22: Added Rostock to the list and realised that I can add lower saxony as well
Update 2023_11_27: Added Gotha and the rest of Brandenburg to the list
Update 2024_01_06: Added Gera, Jena, Erfurt, Naumburg, Hannover, Braunschweig and the low-floor network of Utrecht to the list

Last edited:

jumble

In the last 10 years or so

Vintage Tram Running specials on public streets
Basel
Geneva
Prague
Stockholm
Brussels
Darmstadt ( Steam train)
Dresden
Kusttram
Blackpool

Classic trams in normal service
San Francisico
Boston Ashmont Mattepan
Lisbon
Porto
Sintra

Normal Trams
San Diego
Mulhouse
Ghent

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Two closed tramways that I have travelled on, and that have not yet been mentioned in this thread, include Leeds (so I have been told - I was too young to remember) and Copenhagen (closed 1972). Other overseas tramways that I have used include Helsinki, Leningrad, Moscow and Hong Kong island (together with the Peak Tram). Other overseas systems that I recall seeing (but never used) include Aarhus (closed 1971, but now revived), Helsingborg (closed 1967 when Sweden changed to driving on the right), Berne (plus the Worb interurban) and Zurich. I vaguely recall seeing, but not using, Sheffield trams in 1960.
I not only travelled on Copenhagen's last tram route? (the 6 from memory) but stayed in a house close to its terminus for a few weeks. This was 1969.

gingerheid

Established Member
Glasgow Garden Festival (I'm realising as I type this how special that was!), Summerlee.

Bratislava, Brno, Budapest, Prague, Riga, Tallinn

PeterC

Established Member
I was too young to appreciate it, or to remember much but I don't think any body else has claimed the Mumbles Railway so far

Busaholic

Veteran Member
I was too young to appreciate it, or to remember much but I don't think any body else has claimed the Mumbles Railway so far
I missed that by weeks on my first visit to the area.

Should just mention that I travelled on Amsterdam trams while trailers were still in operation, albeit only on peak hour route 27. It helped that I lived on the route and used to wait for one to turn up, rather than use the 7 and 17 also available to me.