• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Whitby Branch, Castleton bridge replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ploughman

Established Member
Apparently Network Rail are replacing the bridge near Castleton Moor station, which was the one which was damaged after it was struck earlier this year by a lorry.

I'm not sure if this will shut the Middlesborough to Whitby line for the duration of the works or just for a short time whilst the new deck is installed.

The North Yorkshire Council web site has the road closed from 10th Jan to 30th May for rail bridge repairs.
Nothing that I can see on National Rail Enquiries.
Or on Realtime trains.

Can anyone else provide any more detail?
Is the railway going to be closed for that duration or just for when lifting operations are occurring?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ploughman

Established Member
Apparently Network Rail are replacing the bridge near Castleton Moor station, which was the one which was damaged after it was struck earlier this year by a lorry.

I'm not sure if this will shut the Middlesborough to Whitby line for the duration of the works or just for a short time whilst the new deck is installed.

The North Yorkshire Council web site has the road closed from 10th Jan to 30th May for rail bridge repairs.
Or on Realtime trains.

Is the railway going to be closed for that duration or just for when lifting operations are occurring?

Not foreseeing any problems with NYMR services other than movements of loco's or ballast trains to and from the NYMR.
Autoballaster trains due for the Esk Valley relay site in Feb and March.
With Union of S Africa due for specials in March.

bearhugger

That seems an awful long time for the road closure. It was only a few years ago that 3 bridges along the line were replaced during the school summer six weeks holidays.
Will it affect any of the NYMR pullman diners that go to Battersby?

John Webb

Established Member
That seems an awful long time for the road closure. It was only a few years ago that 3 bridges along the line were replaced during the school summer six weeks holidays.
Will it affect any of the NYMR pullman diners that go to Battersby?
Road closure notices on many County Council websites only give an indication of the period during which a road may be closed, rather than the actual closure dates, which can be much shorter.
Looking on the NYMR website regarding Pullman diners, I can't see any listed for 2019 that are running otherwise than between Grosmont and Pickering.

Piers Elias

Or on Realtime trains.

The project will only require a closure of the railway during the weekend over which the new main deck for the bridge is lifted into place, which will mean no services will run from the evening of Friday 29th March until the morning of Monday 1st April. The school train will therefore not be affected by the suspension of the weekend rail service. The speed restrictions will remain throughout the repair. The road is closed to traffic, though open to pedestrians and emergency vehicles.

DPWH

On Moderation
Is anything being done to reduce the likelihood of future bridge strikes?

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Presumably they built the new deck on site from near scratch (well from pre-fab bits anyway)? I know that area reasonably well and there's no way you'd get anything near that size in there without some brave manoeuvring from a plucky HGV driver!!

Spartacus

Established Member
There's something that amuses me about the height restriction already being on before the bridge is put in place!

John Webb

Established Member
Is anything being done to reduce the likelihood of future bridge strikes?
Looking at Piers Elias's photos just below your posting, it looks as if they've got a protective beam in front of the bridge deck....

DelW

Established Member
Looking at Piers Elias's photos just below your posting, it looks as if they've got a protective beam in front of the bridge deck....
That may be its function, but I suspect it's more likely to be part of the temporary works rather than a permanent feature, had it been part of the permanent works I would have expected it to be painted to match the deck, not be left as bare steel.

Looking at the third photo, I think the concrete abutment sections (bearing shelf and ballast wall) are actually hanging from that cross beam, which is itself supported off the jacking frames on the modular transporters. That way the bearing shelves would pass over the cut-down abutments, and there would be nothing in the way underneath them when the jacks were lowered.

The beam is orientated with its stronger axis vertical, which makes sense for supporting the bridge sections but not for resisting lateral impact loads. It also has web stiffeners just above the transporter's frames, which would be needed for carrying concentrated forces at those positions.

Admittedly I can't see any attachments at the end of the steel beam, but they could be cast-in bolts fixed through the bottom flanges.

Status
Not open for further replies.