• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

White Rose Station

Grumpy

I was in the area and took few photos yesterday. Difficult to get close enough to get good photos but should give some idea of progress.
The first photo shows the westbound platform as seen from street level ie the A643 Aka Cherwell Hill

The second and third are general shots of the site works

The fourth is taken from the existing footbridge near the rear entrance to the White Rose shopping centre and shows the works compound and eastbound platform. Near the top left hand corner the green footbridge at Cottingley station can just be seen

Attachments

• 6FAE06A8-102B-4F7F-B115-605E60BF45B8.jpeg
    6FAE06A8-102B-4F7F-B115-605E60BF45B8.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 385
  • D47A79D9-660F-4C10-92C9-5A1AD9071685.jpeg
    D47A79D9-660F-4C10-92C9-5A1AD9071685.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 390
  • DD53C65C-96BE-4BC0-9626-0FFBE845C5DD.jpeg
    DD53C65C-96BE-4BC0-9626-0FFBE845C5DD.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 365
  • 64F6BE2A-9AC0-4DE3-ADF3-4B24B9B2F708.jpeg
    64F6BE2A-9AC0-4DE3-ADF3-4B24B9B2F708.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 393
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
ORR has now issued its ratification for closing Cottingley (link here). It does not explicitly state that it's conditional on White Rose opening, though that seems to be the accepted reason :)
Could a comparison be made with what was scheduled to happen at Sankey for Penketh, when the new Warrington West station was opened?

Spencer Group - the contractor building the station - is posting regular update videos on progress.
Four months have now elapsed since that posting above was made.

Last edited:

BeijingDave

Could a comparison be made with what was scheduled to happen at Sankey and Penketh, when the new Warrington West station was opened?

Four months have now elapsed since that posting above was made.
Sankey for Penketh, although I never understood quite why.

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
Opening pushed into 'early' 2024.

I've cut out all the adverts, sponsored links, other links and irrelevant video clips etc, so you don't have to suffer them!
But if you really enjoy that kind of thing the full story, in all it's glory, can be viewed on Leeds Live here.

First look at brand new Leeds train station as pictures released​

The White Rose Rail Station is scheduled to open in 2024.

The first images taking a look at the brand new White Rose Rail Station show the station beginning to take shape.

With a cost of £26.5 million, the station, located between Morley and Cottingley is on the main trans-pennine route to Manchester through Huddersfield. Near to the White Rose Office Park, the White Rose Shopping Centre and the bus interchange, the station will provide access to a number of facilities.

It will have two platforms to provide access to the area and will also be "fully accessible". The station will also include cycle storage and improved walking and cycling routes between Cottingley, Churwell and Millshaw as well as the White Rose Shopping Centre and the bus interchange.

The station will replace Cottingley Rail Station and is expected to be completed later this year, with an opening in early 2024. Joe Bennett, Operations Director at Spencer Group, who are developing the site, said: "We’ve been working closely with key stakeholders to bring the White Rose Rail Station to fruition and, as a local contractor, are pleased to play our part in helping our infrastructure in the North.

"Over the coming months, the commitment and hard work the partnership and key stakeholders have demonstrated in getting the scheme to this point will be rewarded with significant physical progress on the site.

"The erection of the lift cores and link bridge walkways, connecting the platform works already undertaken, will transform the look of the project and enable people to see the facility for the first time. It’s an exciting time for all involved."

The Mayor of West Yorkshire, Tracy Brabin, visited the site to see the work being done. This includes the steel frames for the new buildings, these will include two lifts and stairs to reach the platforms.

Station platforms have already been installed along the railway line. Tracy Brabin said: "We’re determined to create a stronger, fairer and better-connected region so that everybody has the same opportunity to get on in life. Investing in transport that supports economic growth is absolutely vital.

"I’m proud that together we’re investing £26.5 million in a new White Rose Rail Station.

"This investment will bring new opportunities for people in Cottingley, Churwell, Millshaw, Morley and beyond by boosting transport links and local regeneration, including housing and job growth."

Funding for the plans has come from the Leeds City Region Transforming Cities Fund, the Leeds Public Transport Investment Programme and £5 million came from the Department for Transport and their New Stations Fund, alongside some contributions from the owners of White Rose, Munroe K.

David Aspin, CEO of Munroe K, said: "For a long time now I’ve had the ambition to bring a fully accessible new station to White Rose Park and to see it nearing completion is immensely rewarding.

"Delivering the UK’s very first railway station through public and private sector partnership has been a real testament to everyone involved.

"The new station can be the catalyst to unlock real economic development in this area of south Leeds, providing our local communities with better links to education and employment opportunities. Its location at the White Rose Park makes it accessible to many more people living in the area and beyond."

Some students from the nearby Elliot Hudson College have taken part in work experience at the site. The Vice Principal of the college, Rosie Quashie, said: "Work experience placements such as those our students have been able to access at the White Rose Rail Station construction site are so important.
"Working with the staff at Spencer Group has provided our students with a wide range of transferable employability skills and enabled them to gain invaluable experience of the scheme and the different career opportunities in engineering and construction, and this has really supported them in deciding their career destinations after leaving Elliot Hudson College.

"Many of our students rely on public transport and will benefit from the new station when it opens next year."

YorksLad12

Established Member
Opening pushed into 'early' 2024.

I've cut out all the adverts, sponsored links, other links and irrelevant video clips etc, so you don't have to suffer them!
But if you really enjoy that kind of thing the full story, in all it's glory, can be viewed on Leeds Live here.
Jeepers. £26.5m? Apperley Bridge and Kirkstall Forge combined came in at around £16m, and they opened in December 2015 and June 2016 respectively! Can't believe it would have cost as much as that to make Cottingley accessible...

JKF

Suspect that’s a combination of inflation and site condition - isn’t White Rose on an embankment?

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Still think "White Rose" is a silly name for the station, given that it isn't particularly close to the eponymous shopping centre and doesn't specify what "White Rose" is to the uninitiated. Sure, the adjacent business park is also called White Rose, but unless you're one of the few hundred people that work there the name is a bit abstract.
I thought that "White Rose" has a special significance for anywhere in Yorkshire, noting that battles had once been fought with its name.

YorksLad12

Established Member
Suspect that’s a combination of inflation and site condition - isn’t White Rose on an embankment?
True, but that just makes it worse. I don't for a moment believe that building a new station on a viaduct worked out better than making Cottingley step-free. Cottingley would have the larger catchement area, and patronage at White Rose will be tidal. Okay, it's a-coming, but I'm not holding out hope that it deliveres a step-change in patronage figures.

Grumpy

True, but that just makes it worse. I don't for a moment believe that building a new station on a viaduct worked out better than making Cottingley step-free. Cottingley would have the larger catchement area, and patronage at White Rose will be tidal. Okay, it's a-coming, but I'm not holding out hope that it deliveres a step-change in patronage figures.
£27 million on this plus £46million being blown on the messing around at the front of the station would just about have paid for the electrification of Armley jn to Skelton jn via Harrogate (assuming £750k/stkm)

Last edited:

deltic08

On Moderation
£27 million on this plus £46million being blown on the messing around at the front of the station would just about have paid for the electrification of Armley jn to Skelton jn via Harrogate (assuming £750k/stkm)
Not quite. It was costed at £99m in 2015?. I would say due to civil engineering inflation that it would be nearer £120m. I have seen figures of £1m stkm.

59CosG95

Established Member
Not quite. It was costed at £99m in 2015?. I would say due to civil engineering inflation that it would be nearer £120m. I have seen figures of £1m stkm.
A RouteView survey of the station site from above does show a few possible OLE piles further down the embankment slope compared to the smaller diameter platform piles.
Wouldn't surprise me if they were got out of the way early due to their difficult location.

snowball

Established Member
A RouteView survey of the station site from above does show a few possible OLE piles further down the embankment slope compared to the smaller diameter platform piles.
Wouldn't surprise me if they were got out of the way early due to their difficult location.
I seem to remember some discussion of this on here at the time. I think the team working on Victoria-Stalybridge made an excursion to do it.

deltic08

On Moderation
I was replying to Grumpy on the cost of electrifying the Harrogate loop. Did you think I was quoting North Transpennine electrification around White Rose station?

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Can we please stick to actual updates relating to the new White Rose station please?

If anyone wishes to discuss anything else (such as whether money should have been spent on other things) please create a new thread (or use an existing one, if there is one); thanks :)

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Can we please stick to actual updates relating to the new White Rose station please?

If anyone wishes to discuss anything else (such as whether money should have been spent on other things) please create a new thread (or use an existing one, if there is one); thanks :)
The discussion about the naming which was clipped off into the Speculative section would probably be appropriate for other "what if" type discussion related to this station. I'll modify the title of that thread in order for it to serve that purpose.

Leeds1970

the press release is questionable-- Munroe K hasn't made any financial contribution as yet - Leeds city council have paid Monroe's share by way of of a Loan of around £420k :?:
most people in south Leeds questioned the building of the station as it DOES NOT serve the white rose shopping centre or its bus hub. why the bus hub is cited is anyone's guess is anyone really going to get off a train in either direction to catch a bus from the white rose shopping centre.?
in addition i cant see many people walking 15-20 mins from station to shopping centre when buses and cars go straight to site. lets hope it does not turn out to be the white elephant station.

bluenoxid

Established Member
Is it only £420k they’ve taken? My understanding was that the loan facility was for up to £4.5m.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
the press release is questionable-- Munroe K hasn't made any financial contribution as yet - Leeds city council have paid Monroe's share by way of of a Loan of around £420k :?:
most people in south Leeds questioned the building of the station as it DOES NOT serve the white rose shopping centre or its bus hub. why the bus hub is cited is anyone's guess is anyone really going to get off a train in either direction to catch a bus from the white rose shopping centre.?
in addition i cant see many people walking 15-20 mins from station to shopping centre when buses and cars go straight to site. lets hope it does not turn out to be the white elephant station.
If I had the time and the means, I suspect that a Freedom of Information request regarding the decisions and funding of this station would be rather illuminating. The nickname of "White Elephant" I fear will be entirely appropriate, and if I was a Leeds ratepayer (particularly a city centre retailer) I'd be rather angry at the apparent shenanigans that may have taken place. Wasn't the initial funding part of the settlement related to the axing of the trolleybus plan?

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
Is it only £420k they’ve taken? My understanding was that the loan facility was for up to £4.5m.
Correct.

The scheme, which is being led by the Combined Authority and Munroe K, will receive money from the Leeds City Region Transforming Cities Fund (up to £12m), the Leeds Public Transport Investment Programme (£5m), the Department for Transport’s New Stations Fund (£5m) and Munroe K (£4.5m). Quoted as up to £4.5m for Munroe K.

https://www.leeds-live.co.uk/news/leeds-news/work-22m-train-station-near-20887397
24 June 2021
Stated (extract):
Leeds City Council plans to provide a loan facility to Munroe K to finance the company’s “maximum contribution to the scheme”.

Meerkat

Established Member
Is all that grey the final colour scheme? It’s somewhat lacking in elegance…..

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
Old news, from 19 March, didn't realise it hadn't been posted here.

MSN

White Rose railway station: Building work on a new railway station halted after 'unforeseen increase in costs'

Building work on a new railway station in Leeds has been halted after an “unforeseen increase in costs.”

Workers at the White Rose railway station project on Elland Road, south of Leeds downed tools last week, while a timescale on work re-commencing remains unknown.

A joint statement to The Yorkshire Post on behalf of the West Yorkshire Combined Authority, Network Rail, developers Munroe K and principal contractors Spencer Group, describes “a temporary pause” in construction of the new station, but provides no indication of how long the pause may last.

“This decision comes in light of an unforeseen increase in project costs, prompting a thorough evaluation of future funding sources to ensure the project's successful completion,” they said late yesterday.

The £26.5m project broke ground in March 2022 and was due to see the new rail station open for passengers in early 2024. However, previous delays had already moved the expected opening date back to the end of this year.

David Aspin, CEO and owner of Munroe K told The Yorkshire Post, “it’s a pause to recalibrate.”

Private funding for the new station has come from Munroe K, who own the adjacent White Rose Park business park. Meanwhile public sector investment comes from the Leeds City Region Transforming Cities Fund, a capital grant from central government to the West Yorkshire Combined Authority, the Leeds Public Transport Investment Programme, which represents £173.5m from the Department for Transport (DfT) over a period of six years, and an additional £5m from the DfT’s New Stations Fund.

The stakeholders say in their statement that they, “remain committed to finding a speedy solution to the present difficulties encountered and continue the progression of this critical infrastructure project.

“The White Rose Railway Station will not be just a transport hub; it is envisioned as a catalyst for regeneration, promising to unlock new education and employment opportunities, foster economic growth, and enhance connectivity within South Leeds and beyond.

“Recognising the importance of this project to the local community and economy, all parties involved have agreed that taking the time to reassess financial strategies is a prudent step forward. This pause will allow for a comprehensive review of funding options to ensure the project is delivered on the most sustainable and cost-effective basis possible.

“The project team is dedicated to minimising any delays, with the goal of resuming construction as swiftly as feasible,” the statement says.

Mr Aspin added: “We understand the disappointment this news may bring, especially given the anticipation for the station's opening. However, we firmly believe that taking this step now is in the best interest of ensuring the project's long-term success and sustainability.

“Our focus remains on delivering a state-of-the-art railway station that will serve as a cornerstone for economic development in South Leeds."

If completed, construction of the new rail station is hoped to improve access to White Rose Park, as well as to the White Rose Shopping Centre and Millshaw Industrial Estate. Nearby Cottingley station, less than half a mile away, is planned to close once the new station is operational.

Mayor of West Yorkshire Tracy Brabin said on a visit to the construction site in June last year that the new station was “part of our commitment to improve the public transport network across West Yorkshire.”

A spokesperson for the mayor said there would be no comment from her amid the news of the project’s uncertain future, referring only to the joint statement issued.

Geeves

Established Member
I saw a video on YouTube recently for TRU works and it looked like work was going on again at White Rose. To be fair at least at platform level it looked relatively complete.

Here's a link the video as requested :)

Last edited:

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Old news, from 19 March, didn't realise it hadn't been posted here.

MSN
There was a fair amount of recent discussion about White Rose that was hidden in plain sight in the Transpennine electrification thread:
As someone suggested in the replies, it’s not directly connected to TRU, but it’s where most discussion occurred.