• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Who controls level crossings?

Status
Not open for further replies.

seiryuu

I've often wondered this. Is it a signalling job? And is it done locally or remotely? Do they control the barriers directly or just oversee an automated operation?
the reason i ask is because i have witnessed trapped cars being allowed out of level crossings by the barriers being put "half up".

Sorry for all the questions!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

driver9000

Established Member
There are several different types of crossing.

Automatic crossings are operated by the presence of a train either by occupation of a track circuit or the striking of a treadle. Some automatic crossings have a white light to indicate to the driver of a train that the crossing has operated and the train may proceed.

CCTV crossings are monitored by a crossing keeper or signalman who will watch the crossing on monitors in the gate box or signal box dependant on location. Manual barriers or gates are also worked by a crossing keeper or signalman.

Trainman operated crossings are worked by the crew of a train by the operation of a plunger, pulling of a rope or whatever way the crossing is activated.

Last edited:

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
There are quite a few different types, and they are operated in different ways:

AHBC - Automatic Half Barrier Crossing - activated by the approaching train, which travel slowly enough to have sight of the crossing being clear
AOCL - Automatic Open Crossing locally monitored - lights and sound only, activated by the approaching train
ABCL - Automatic Barrier Crossing locally monitored - AOCL with barriers
MCB-CCTV - Manually Controlled Barriers operated remotely (via CCTV) by signaller or Crossing Keeper
MCB - Manually Controlled Crossing - operated by Signaller or Crossing Keeper (in view from box)
MGC - Manually Gated Crossing - operated by Signaller/Crossing Keeper, ye olde gates which must be opened and closed!

I hope thats right, but I'm sure someone will put me right before too long if not!

driver9000

Established Member

AHBC - Automatic Half Barrier Crossing - activated by the approaching train, which travel slowly enough to have sight of the crossing being clear

Not necessary to travel slowly for an AHB crossing as it will operate with enough time to complete the lowering before a train at linespeed approaches. There is one on my patch that is on a 70mph line and you don't sight the crossing until you are almost on top of it because of the curvature of the line. An ABCL/AOCL crossing has an approach speed which must not be exceeded until the front of the train is on the crossing :)

seiryuu

Very interesting stuff, i didn't realize there was such a variety of level crossings. I've often wondered how often those half barrier types get misused by impatient drivers, I'd imagine a fair bit! :|

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
Not necessary to travel slowly for an AHB crossing as it will operate with enough time to complete the lowering before a train at linespeed approaches. There is one on my patch that is on a 70mph line and you don't sight the crossing until you are almost on top of it because of the curvature of the line. An ABCL/AOCL crossing has an approach speed which must not be exceeded until the front of the train is on the crossing :)

Ah that makes more sense. I thought something wasn't quite right in my list!

O L Leigh

Established Member
I've often wondered how often those half barrier types get misused by impatient drivers, I'd imagine a fair bit! :|

I can't speak for other routes, but on my routes it's not often that a half-barrier crossing gets abused. More often it's the full-barrier CCTV crossings at places like Enfield Lock and Brimsdown that gets abused as people try to beat the barriers and end up clobbering one of the gates. When that happens it's chaos, with the crossing having to be closed for repairs and trains being authorised to pass signals at danger and then cautioned over the crossing itself.

O L Leigh

Railsigns

Established Member

AOCL - Automatic Open Crossing locally monitored - lights and sound only, activated by the approaching train
ABCL - Automatic Barrier Crossing locally monitored - AOCL with barriers
MCB-CCTV - Manually Controlled Barriers operated remotely (via CCTV) by signaller or Crossing Keeper
MCB - Manually Controlled Crossing - operated by Signaller or Crossing Keeper (in view from box)
MGC - Manually Gated Crossing - operated by Signaller/Crossing Keeper, ye olde gates which must be opened and closed!

I hope thats right, but I'm sure someone will put me right before too long if not!

There are a few other types as well, as described here and here.

Also, the recently introduced MCB-OD and AOCL+B.

Rich_D3167

AHBC's are ok for speeds of up to 100mph on the railway side. ABCL's & AOCL's are no higher than 55mph.

Last edited:
On manual operated crossings, the signalman will often record the vehicle number plate if it fails to stop at the red flashing lights. It is then, with a statement of the event, passed onto BTP. CCTV - often not possible to do this but imo should have a camera to record abuse where necessary.

There is a big difference in timings on the different crossings. On Automatic crossings the train can pass within seconds of the red lights operating, or barriers down if fitted.

Manual crossing lights start operating at least 2 minutes before the train if the signalman needs to give the distant signal off.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
How many MGC are there? I know of Elsenham on the West Anglia line (3tph each way off peak, two of which are non-stop through the adjacent station, more at peak time)

matchmaker

Established Member
Very interesting stuff, i didn't realize there was such a variety of level crossings. I've often wondered how often those half barrier types get misused by impatient drivers, I'd imagine a fair bit! :|

Unfortunately, abuse of automatic half barrier crossings is not uncommon. Some have red light cameras fitted for this reason. Some open crossings in the Highlands have red light cameras for the same reason.

Sometimes it ends in tragedy

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/highlands_and_islands/8281700.stm

and

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/highlands_and_islands/7346459.stm

Rich_D3167

How many MGC are there? I know of Elsenham on the West Anglia line (3tph each way off peak, two of which are non-stop through the adjacent station, more at peak time)

There are still a few dotted all over the country. Lincolnshire is a good example of plenty, with Pyewipe Road (Grimsby), Roxton Sidings, Goxhill, Oxmarsh (New Holland), Brigg, Northorpe, Wickenby, Saxilby, Blankney (Metheringham), Scopwick, Sleaford North, Rauceby, Heckington & Hubbert's Bridge all having Signalboxes. Furthermore, Bystaple Lane, Barton Lane (Thornton Abbey) & Barrow Road (New Holland) on the Barton on Humber branch line, Bonsall Lane on the Barnetby to Gainsborough via Brigg line, Godnow Bridge, Medge Hall & Maud's Bridge on the Scunthorpe to Doncaster line have gates worked by Crossing Keeper's.

If you know the right places, there's still a few around.

455driver

Veteran Member
We have two AHBs in a row on a 90mph section of line that we frequently pass at full linespeed.

O L Leigh

As do we and you can see traffic crossing in front of you as you approach them (at 90) as they are on a long straight, I WILL get used to that one day, honest.

boing_uk

There is one on my patch that is on a 70mph line and you don't sight the crossing until you are almost on top of it because of the curvature of the line. An ABCL/AOCL crossing has an approach speed which must not be exceeded until the front of the train is on the crossing :)

Thats one thing I've always wondered about the ABCL at Moss Side... why there is a 20mph limit on the approach to the crossing, but 35mph on the crossing itself coming from Kirkham? I am assuming it is to do with detection and operational timings of the crossing; presumably track circuit rather than treadle given the joints in the track either side of the crossing?

driver9000

Established Member
Thats one thing I've always wondered about the ABCL at Moss Side... why there is a 20mph limit on the approach to the crossing, but 35mph on the crossing itself coming from Kirkham? I am assuming it is to do with detection and operational timings of the crossing; presumably track circuit rather than treadle given the joints in the track either side of the crossing?

The 20mph restriction isn't connected with Moss Side crossing, it is for sighting of North down farm UWC due to curvature of the line and the cutting gives restricted sighting for crossing user and train driver. In the up direction the train is on a straight with excellent sighting of the crossing so there is no need for a restriction in that direction. The treadle to start Moss Side crossing in the down direction is at North down UWC and the white light flashes just as the train comes off the curve.

Last edited:

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
The level of abuse at some LX is such that only a fraction of offences are followed up, and only a fraction of those result in a conviction. However, the recent introduction of mobile enforcement vans (which automatically generate penalty charge notices) has demonstrated how effective this is in helping Joe Public comply with the highway code. Fixed installations that will be always on, and again can generate notices automatically, are about to be rolled out at a couple of hundred (eventually) LXs. The only downside is that the fines go to central Government, not the railway, but savings in delays and repairs avoided will still be considerable.

scotsman

Established Member
Some open crossings in the Highlands have red light cameras for the same reason.

Garve level crossing in Wester Ross is one of the most abused in the country, yet it sees about 8 trains a day. Need I say more.

Dalfaber Level Crossing on the Strathspey Railway is an AOCL, but appears to be an AOCR due to the CCTV monitoring it - which has been used successfully on a number of occasions to convict drivers ignoring the lights.

boing_uk

The 20mph restriction isn't connected with Moss Side crossing, it is for sighting of North down farm UWC due to curvature of the line and the cutting gives restricted sighting for crossing user and train driver. In the up direction the train is on a straight with excellent sighting of the crossing so there is no need for a restriction in that direction. The treadle to start Moss Side crossing in the down direction is at North down UWC and the white light flashes just as the train comes off the curve.

Well I never, thanks for the info. Now I know why my train slows down to a crawl... for a bloody farm track.

Was this restriction always in place i.e. when it was double track? Or was it a by-product of making the line one train only? It is a shame nothing can be done about it really without having to employ more signalling on the route. I suppose if the proposals for a loop ever got further off the ground than a local wish then it is something that could be looked at.

Anyway, thanks again :)

O L Leigh

Established Member

There's another one at Lincoln Road on the Enfield Town branch.

As a point of trivia, is that the closest MCG crossing to a London terminus? It seems to be accepted that the WA lines have the closest level crossing to a London terminus (Northumberland Park), but can we claim this one also?

O L Leigh

Brighton Bill

Garve level crossing in Wester Ross is one of the most abused in the country, yet it sees about 8 trains a day. Need I say more.

Dalfaber Level Crossing on the Strathspey Railway is an AOCL, but appears to be an AOCR due to the CCTV monitoring it - which has been used successfully on a number of occasions to convict drivers ignoring the lights.

There can't be many AOCRs left nowadays - is the one at Rosarie between Keith and Elgin still in use?

TDK

Established Member

I think AHB's are timed to a minimum of 21 seconds from red lights to passage of train all determined on line speed/distance.

Well I never, thanks for the info. Now I know why my train slows down to a crawl... for a bloody farm track.

Was this restriction always in place i.e. when it was double track? Or was it a by-product of making the line one train only? It is a shame nothing can be done about it really without having to employ more signalling on the route. I suppose if the proposals for a loop ever got further off the ground than a local wish then it is something that could be looked at.

Anyway, thanks again :)

The single track on the South Fylde line is suppressing enormous potential growth in traffic on this already busy line. The single track is occupied 50 minutes in the hour. The train to BPS at Kirkam junction is often waiting for the previous train to clear the single line.

Re on the spot fines for going through the red lights.
To avoid a court hearing and potentially smaller fine they (imo) should have to agree to do a course on road safety. It could be giving them a DVD to watch and write in their own handwriting the answers in full on a series of questions after. (It could be done at home)
A second offence of running a red light etc should be taking their driving test again.
I believe the most potentially dangerous piece of track on the railway after road crossings, are diamond crossings.

Status
Not open for further replies.