• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Who has been to Miniworld (Rotterdam)

Justin Smith

Has anyone been to Miniworld in Rotterdam ?
We must have been four or five times and I think its brill (there's a word you haven't heard since school....) !
It's one of the biggest model railways / model worlds I have seen. Most of it so scenes round Rotterdam (which every now and then goes to dusk with all the internal lights coming on), but downstairs they are about 90% through building a huge layout made up of loads of famous scene from Great Britain, from the Saltburn Cliff Tramway, to (part of) the Forth Bridge, to the Groudle Glen Waterwheel !

Tip : It's right next to Rotterdam Centraal station, and also where the transfer bus drops off / picks up from the P&O ferry from Hull. So it fits in well with a trip on the ferry.

1 - Miniworld Rotterdam 'Holland' 1500W L20.jpg

2 - Miniworld Rotterdam 'at night' 1500W L20.jpg
3 - Miniworld Rotterdam 'Great Britain' 1500W L20.jpg
Right bottom is Nessie, she "swims" out across the lake and as she passes the tourist boats their camera flashes go off !

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Shaw S Hunter

Established Member
Has anyone been to Miniworld in Rotterdam ?
We must have been four or five times and I think its brill (there's a word you haven't heard since school....) !
It's one of the biggest model railways / model worlds I have seen. Most of it so scenes round Rotterdam (which every now and then goes to dusk with all the internal lights coming on), but downstairs they are about 90% through building a huge layout made up of loads of famous scene from Great Britain, from the Saltburn Cliff Tramway, to (part of) the Forth Bridge, to the Groudle Glen Waterwheel !
So they've stolen a march on Hamburg's Miniatur Wunderland whose British section is only scheduled for opening in 2028 or 2029. The Falkirk Wheel being next to the Forth Bridge is a little incongruous (but in a good way).

TheTallOne

Yep, I’ve been there a few years back. They were building some big hill or mountain thing when I was there.

sprunt

Yes, I've been a couple of times. Not quite on the scale of Miniatur Wonderland, but still excellent. Good to hear the UK section's almost finished, always happy to have an excuse to go back to Rotterdam.

Justin Smith

Yes, I've been a couple of times. Not quite on the scale of Miniatur Wonderland, but still excellent. Good to hear the UK section's almost finished, always happy to have an excuse to go back to Rotterdam.
We like going to Rotterdam on the ferry, the coach transfer is much shorter than the one to Amsterdam. Also we sometimes go to see friends in Utrecht and the transfer drop off is right next to the central station (as well as near Miniworld ! ).

You can still but a reasonable amount of "duty free" wine on the ferry, though not as much as pre Brexit. It's now 24 bottles per person and if the wine is bought in cases of 6 they have decent saving : 6 bottles of Barefoot Malbec for £21 (even "on offer" in Morrisons it's about twice that price ! ). They lend you a luggage trolley to take it to your car.

Cheshire Scot

Established Member
One to note for our next visit to Rotterdam.
Madurodam in Den Haag is also worth a visit, basically The Netherlands in miniature, buildings and landmarks from around the country including an extensive railway network and on our most recent visit (2023) we noted they had added a High Speed Line albeit the Thalys set was a few trailers short of reality.

Last edited: