• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Who will buy the DRS Class 37 engines

RobShipway

Established Member
I was wondering as to who will buy the DRS class 37 loco's that are for sale as per https://www.directrailservices.com/...announces-retirement-of-class-37-locomotives/

Not sure why, but I cannot see the class 37's going to any of the preserved railway lines, as many of them are just about getting by financially I believe. So who is likely to buy the class 37's and where would they be kept if they are not leased back to DRS?

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

There are some obvious ones;
- LSL and ROGs have just bought some from the last list
- HNRC always up for a class 37 shaped bargain

Less likely are preservation or other small player. Doubt the 37/4s will end up being scrapped, more of a risk with 37716 as heavyweights have been less in demand and it would be a good source of spares.

jamieP

Less likely are preservation or other small player. Doubt the 37/4s will end up being scrapped, more of a risk with 37716 as heavyweights have been less in demand and it would be a good source of spares.

I don't think ROG bought any. It was Europhonix

Trackman

Established Member

Yes, LSL springs to mind. Think they have trouble with spares with one of their 37's at the mo.
I was wondering as to how will buy the DRS class 37 loco's that are for sale as per https://www.directrailservices.com/...announces-retirement-of-class-37-locomotives/
They call them 'Tractors' always been known as Siphons to me! (age showing...)

D365

Veteran Member
Not sure why, but I cannot see the class 37's going to any of the preserved railway lines, as many of them are just about getting by financially I believe.
Not sure what the DRS going rate is, but the 37/4s are much more valuable as a result of ETH and TPWS/OTMR being fitted (i.e. they're serviceable, in mainline running order and useful for operating charter trains).
- LSL and ROGs Europhoenix have just bought some from the last list

These are the most probable answers.

HOOVER29

Some will be saved.

One or two will possibly be purchased for parts only

All depends on price.

Deep pockets are needed either way.

Peter Sarf

Established Member

Not sure why, but I cannot see the class 37's going to any of the preserved railway lines, as many of them are just about getting by financially I believe. ...............................
A DRS 37 might end up on a preserved line regardless as it will not be the finances of the preserved railway involved. It will be a locomotive preservation group buying one, quite possibly subsequently discovering that they cannot afford to run it though !. Which would lead to such locomotive becoming a spare parts donor.

D365

Veteran Member
A DRS 37 might end up on a preserved line regardless as it will not be the finances of the preserved railway involved. It will be a locomotive preservation group buying one, quite possibly subsequently discovering that they cannot afford to run it though !.
The only upshot is that, because DRS put so much effort into modernising their 37/4s, there are people out there who know the vehicle systems [and the DRS mods] inside out..!

RobShipway

Established Member
A DRS 37 might end up on a preserved line regardless as it will not be the finances of the preserved railway involved. It will be a locomotive preservation group buying one, quite possibly subsequently discovering that they cannot afford to run it though !. Which would lead to such locomotive becoming a spare parts donor.
But many Preservation groups don't have deep pockets either nowadays.
Some will be saved.

One or two will possibly be purchased for parts only

All depends on price.

Deep pockets are needed either way.
I am hoping that all will be saved in some way, even as you say if they are brought for parts.
The only upshot is that, because DRS put so much effort into modernising their 37/4s, there are people out there who know the vehicle systems [and the DRS mods] inside out..!
Which is good, but I do wonder if they will end up with a company like EuroPhoenix for example and then be used on rail infrastructure projects either within Europe or the USA?

D365

Veteran Member
Which is good, but I do wonder if they will end up with a company like EuroPhoenix for example and then be used on rail infrastructure projects either within Europe or the USA?
Then you will just have to wait and find out.

aem7ac

Definitely not within the USA. They would not meet Federal Railroad Administration crashworthiness standards.

Towers

Established Member
How about Newport SIMs or C F Booth of Rotherham? The Class 37s are very old, after all.
And thoroughly versatile, hence their continued use for so very long. Particularly given the difficulties of procurement of new diesel locomotives for the UK’s restrictive loading gauge, as well as the wholly unlikely prospects of full electrification of our railways within the short to medium term future, it would be a tad shortsighted to razorblade them all without consideration to whether they have further uses elsewhere. Once they’re gone it would be very difficult to replace them.

D365

Veteran Member
How about Newport SIMs or C F Booth of Rotherham? The Class 37s are very old, after all.
Hmm...
Not sure what the DRS going rate is, but the 37/4s are much more valuable as a result of ETH and TPWS/OTMR being fitted (i.e. they're serviceable, in mainline running order and useful for operating charter trains).

randyrippley

Established Member
There's still a market in the 12CSVT engines for export. For instance this company has a market in rebuilding them.
Wouldn't surprise me if someone bought them, refurbished the diesels and the rest went for scrap

They may be almost fifty years old, but the old girls were designed and produced in an era when the sole focus was on quality rather than cost and as a result these remarkable old engines will just run and run, as long as you give them the care and attention they require every now and again

Such is their on-going popularity we regularly supply reconditioned engines, short engines or engine sets of major components for ENGLISH ELECTRIC CSVT engines. One recent contract was to supply 6 x fully reconditioned 12VSCT engines to an overseas rail operator who had the engines in locos that had done over two million miles. Such was their reliability over that period they preferred fully reconditioned 12CSVT engines to the other options available to them and EDS supplied them with six fully rebuilt units, all of which were striped, overhauled and rebuilt in our workshops in Wigan.

Last edited:

CDM Transport

I was wondering as to who will buy the DRS class 37 loco's that are for sale as per https://www.directrailservices.com/...announces-retirement-of-class-37-locomotives/

Not sure why, but I cannot see the class 37's going to any of the preserved railway lines, as many of them are just about getting by financially I believe. So who is likely to buy the class 37's and where would they be kept if they are not leased back to DRS?
A believe 37425 has been sold and all the DRS 37s have been denamed.