• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Who would you like to share a train journey with?

MotCO

Established Member
Similar to the thread of what famous people have you met on a train, who would you like to share a train journey with, whether alive or dead?

I will kick off with Michael Palin - he must have a lot of fascinating tales to tell - and Michael McIntyre for laughs. Maybe the late Duke of Edinburgh for telling it as it is!

What are your suggestions?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ashley Hill

Established Member
Spike Milligan in one of his better moods. I can imagine people watching with him would be hilarious.
Or for someone alive,Johnny Vegas.
Or female,Julia Breck or Donna Fielding,just because.

Railsigns

Established Member
I was thinking Rishi Sunak, just to give him a piece of my mind.

But he wouldn't get past the ticket barrier, trying to open it with a bag of crisps.

Purple Train

Established Member
What are your suggestions?
Assuming I'm not allowed fictional characters (in which case I would have a whole host of suggestions), probably Canute the Dane, partially to quiz him about turning back the tide, and partially to see his reaction to this new-fangled train thing.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Assuming I'm not allowed fictional characters (in which case I would have a whole host of suggestions), probably Canute the Dane, partially to quiz him about turning back the tide, and partially to see his reaction to this new-fangled train thing.

In that case I think I’d have Brunel, just to show him how well his 7 foot gauge, sea hugging, Atmospheric Railway was working (I’d ask him about some other stuff too obviously). ;)

dgl

Established Member
Trump on one of the remote Scottish lines, pick a station without even one man and his dog and accidentally leave him there (I apologise in advance to the people of Scotland for leaving him there).

In seriousness Rowan Atkinson would be a good one as he likes mechanical things and would be good entertainment, or perhaps even Jay Leno, again as he'd probably be more interested in the motive power than the scenery!

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Never meet your heroes, I'd say. Besides, you may want to meet them, but why on earth would they want to meet you?!

Purple Train

Established Member
In that case I think I’d have Brunel, just to show him how well his 7 foot gauge, sea hugging, Atmospheric Railway was working (I’d ask him about some other stuff too obviously). ;)
On the subject of showing people things, I'd also like to show Joseph Paxton what modern-day Crystal Palace is like (and share a banana while we're at it).

On the subject of the atmospheric railway: yes, that wasn't spectacularly thought through, was it? Recently I had to write a magazine article (not aimed at rail enthusiasts) in which I had quite a difficult time distilling Oliver Bulleid's work into a single comprehensible sentence - I should have just compared him to Brunel really (both equally prone to ideas that were both very clever and totally impractical).

And finally, back on topic (sorry): I'd rather like to share a train ride with Elon Musk, that would be quite fun!

alex397

Established Member
They’d have to be fairly quiet for a start. Cant be doing with loud people. So, sorry Brian Blessed, you’re out!
They would also have to enjoy or at least tolerate rail travel. I’ve travelled with people who arn’t used to trains or don’t like trains and it’s quite irritating.

I’d also like to share a train with Michael Palin. I’ve read a few of his travel diaries so I’d love to chat to him about some of that as well. He of course also likes rail travel, so he would be a good companion.

Lucan

Established Member
I'd rather like to share a train ride with Elon Musk,
Musk would never get on a train. He hates railways with a vengence and has taken it as one of his life missions to destroy them.

Last edited:

Established Member
James May, because we both have similar interests and I think some very interesting conversations could be had.

Ivor

Originally Balham & now The West Sussex Coastway
As the OP gave us the option of ‘alive or dead’ for me it would be…
THE FOUR TOPS unfortunately three have passed on.

Can’t sing a note but I couldn't resist joining in whilst they covered their hits, I probably wouldn’t be their most popular fan with my voice :lol: