• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Why are no Advance singles available on 06/05/2023 from Oxford to Hereford?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SouthEastBuses

On Moderation
Planning another Oxford to Hereford journey* on Saturday 6 May 2023, but no advance singles are available (just the off peak single of £19.60**). Why?

*I'm actually going to Aberystwyth, but I will be travelling by bus after Hereford, using route 461 to Llandrindod Wells then X47 to Aberystwyth

**Price includes 16-25 Railcard discount

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Planning another Oxford to Hereford journey* on Saturday 6 May 2023, but no advance singles are available (just the off peak single of £19.60**). Why?
Most likely, the closure of the line between Didcot and Oxford, so the advance fares are withdrawn.

SouthEastBuses

On Moderation
Most likely, the closure of the line between Didcot and Oxford, so the advance fares are withdrawn.

I doubt it. My journey doesn't involve going via the closed section of the line. And the section in question is supposed to be reopened by the 23rd of April anyway

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
I doubt it. My journey doesn't involve going via the closed section of the line. And the section in question is supposed to be reopened by the 23rd of April anyway
I wouldn’t be surprised if the allocations for all advance fares around Oxford have been removed given the timetables have required modification to deal with the closure.

I’m unable to link the relevant thread currently but I believe the latest estimate for reopening is in fact June (based on what I read yesterday).

AlastairFraser

Established Member
When I try to buy the same journey with the same Railcard in a few weeks, the discount turns up (single at £7.55).
Perhaps it's just the train is booked up because of an event?

SouthEastBuses

On Moderation
When I try to buy the same journey with the same Railcard in a few weeks, the discount turns up (single at £7.55).
Perhaps it's just the train is booked up because of an event?

What date have you been looking for, and what did you use? I used the GWR app on my phone.

AlastairFraser

Established Member
What date have you been looking for, and what did you use? I used the GWR app on my phone.
LNER app. It was some date in a couple weeks.
I'll try the actual date.

Right, looked it up.
It seems to be forcing you to change at Worcester onto WMR all day, so that's probably why. Advances (most of the time) only pop on services operated as one single journey in my experience.
May be worth splitting at Worcester

Last edited:

SouthEastBuses

On Moderation
LNER app. It was some date in a couple weeks.
I'll try the actual date.

Right, looked it up.
It seems to be forcing you to change at Worcester onto WMR all day, so that's probably why. Advances (most of the time) only pop on services operated as one single journey in my experience.
May be worth splitting at Worcester

Strange, last week I had a first class advance single from Oxford to Hereford, and that particular ticket required me to change at Worcester Foregate Street onto WMR (due to the GWR service terminating at Great Malvern).

Last edited:

Benjwri

Established Member
The Coronation is happening on May 6th, so it’s fairly likely GWR have withdrawn advance tickets, or they have all sold out already.

Status
Not open for further replies.