• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Why do all of DB's cross-channel freight services run as VSTP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

distinctratio

I was just taking a look at some of the workings over at Dollands moor and I noticed nearly every single working going either to Calais or back is a VSTP, at first I thought it maybe due to the irregularity of the service, but every day there seems to steady flow of trains, so why did they choose not to timetable them. Also I noticed in some cases they have a tendency to run very early.

here's an example https://live.rail-record.co.uk/live.php?t=DOLLANDS MOOR SDGS&p=on&e=on&f=on&s=on&d=2023-09-14

Any ideas as to why?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Wilts Wanderer

Established Member
I was just taking a look at some of the workings over at Dollands moor and I noticed nearly every single working going either to Calais or back is a VSTP, at first I thought it maybe due to the irregularity of the service, but every day there seems to steady flow of trains, so why did they choose not to timetable them. Also I noticed in some cases they have a tendency to run very early.

here's an example https://live.rail-record.co.uk/live.php?t=DOLLANDS MOOR SDGS&p=on&e=on&f=on&s=on&d=2023-09-14

Any ideas as to why?

I know there‘s some specific rules regarding the permanent timetabling of international train services, is it possibly that DB just haven’t yet gone through the process?

trainmania100

Established Member
Seems the 2311 runs as headcode "4427" most days, as others also similarly run to the same headcode. So there's obviously some sort of regular timetable thing here, and not just some random train ID.

My guess is it's to stop people checking train times in France and trying to get a lift into the UK...or Brexit has somehow prevented timetables from becoming WTT?

Adrian Barr

There's a simple answer - for trains through the tunnel the relevant WTT will be a Eurotunnel document with the Eurostar and shuttle paths in it, in addition to freight to and from Dollands Moor. Realtime trains or similar websites don't show these WTT paths and they don't exist as schedules in TRUST (except for Eurostar trains, which obviously run over Network Rail infrastructure on the CTRL).

I don't think the Eurotunnel WTT is a public document, but there is some technical documentation on the Eurotunnel website (the infrastructure operator "Groupe Eurotunnel" is now known as Getlink) going into the details of the access conditions, timetabling process and charges for using the tunnel. PDF documents titled "Fixed Link Usage Annual Statement" for 2022 to 2024 are available from this page:
https://www.getlinkgroup.com/en/our-group/eurotunnel/eurotunnel-railway-network/

For example it says this about the general timetabling process and allocation of paths:

4.2.1 Schedule for Working Timetable

Capacity is allocated essentially within the context of operations to prepare an annual working timetable, taking account of the operation of rail transport in programmed mode17 and the applicants’ commercial requirements. The applicant presents its request dossier for train paths before the 8th month preceding the date of commencement of the working timetable. Between the 8th and 5th months preceding that date, Eurotunnel analyses these requests, wherever required in cooperation with adjacent infrastructure managers, and implements the co-ordination process as laid down in Section 4.3.1 below. During the 5th month, Eurotunnel communicates to the applicants the list of train paths proposed. Applicants have one month in which to submit any comments. After this one month period, Eurotunnel will inform the applicants of the definitive proposals for train paths. The applicants then have a two week period in which to confirm their reservation requests or raise any complaints to Eurotunnel. The process laid down in Section 4.3.3 below is then implemented. Eurotunnel produces the definitive timetable 3 months before commencement of the working timetable and informs the applicants of the train paths in the working timetable that have been allocated to them (see Annexe 5 for the full calendar for processing of capacity requests).

4.2.2 Schedule for Requests outside the Timetabling Process

In order to satisfy the rail freight market’s requirements for flexibility and reactivity, Eurotunnel implements a second accelerated timeline for requests for pre-established weekly paths for rail freight trains: applicants may submit their path requests as little as 2 weeks before the start of the working timetable, and Eurotunnel will endeavour to process these dossiers in order to allow the reservation and programming of paths 1 week before the start of the working timetable. Eurotunnel will respond as quickly as possible to ad-hoc requests for individual train paths (passenger or rail freight) received outside the timetabling process. Information on available spare capacity within a specified time period will be provided to any applicant requesting it. On request by applicants, Eurotunnel can carry out technical feasibility studies for non-standard paths outside of the catalogue (special paths at lower speeds, or with special operating requirements, etc.), subject to availability.

Schedules for freight within the tunnel don't really concern Network Rail too much, as they only briefly touch Network Rail infrastructure next to the Eurotunnel boundary on their journey to or from Dollands Moor Yard. For the same reason, you have Eurostar schedules along the CTRL that have a timing point at the Eurotunnel boundary and then nothing until Paris or Brussels.

The VSTP tunnel schedules that appear in TRUST (and therefore Realtime trains and so on) are created by the staff at Dollands Moor Yard, mainly for the purpose of allowing a TOPS wagon consist to be input for tunnel freight, which in turn allows visibility on TOPS of wagons being in the UK or not. Once wagons arrive at Frethun yard they are automatically shown as being "off TOPS" with a description of "TO CONTINENT." Internationally registered wagons which left the UK years ago, never to return, can sometimes be found in TOPS with a last reported location of Dunkerque, arriving on a date prior to the end of train ferry operations (the ferry had regular schedules created for it like a train and was probably in the British Rail WTT somewhere).

GBRF (who have a separate DOLMGBF location for Dollands Moor schedules) don't work quite the same way, for example the Antwerp - Irvine china clay service (which has now ceased) was not normally entered onto any schedule through the tunnel, since the control of trains within the tunnel is not based on TRUST. On Network Rail, TRUST schedules are firmly linked to control of trains, signalling and track access but this doesn't apply to Eurotunnel, so DB tunnel schedules are entered as required, based on what has already been agreed with Eurotunnel either ad hoc or using an existing WTT path.

The regular tunnel freight services will have WTT slots (and regular headcodes) but given the obvious potential for late-running of trains coming long distances over international borders, the actual time they run may differ on the day. One consideration is that it is obviously preferable to take a train to France and bring one back, rather than needing to run light engine in one direction, another is that there would probably be more freight paths available during the night, depending on engineering work. Light engine paths through the tunnel can be distinguished by the second digit of the headcode (tunnel headcodes don't have letters in them) being a 5, such as 4501. From what I can remember reading somewhere, I think Eurotunnel actually refer to trains by a 5-digit headcode similar to continental practice, but only 4 digits appear in TRUST.

Back when there was more channel tunnel freight, in the era of Railfreight Distribution for example, it's quite possible that tunnel trains appeared in UK WTT documentation as they had to be carefully co-ordinated with SNCF. Schedules to Dollands Moor still have a UIC code associated with them which is (or at least was) intended to be the 5-digit European headcode for the train's onward journey into Europe (e.g. 47414). These days, with a handful of distinct regular freight flows operating through the tunnel, there is less potential for confusion.

There's a Cinerail DVD (originally released on VHS) available for £10 which gives a good historical insight into tunnel freight operations back in the days when pairs of SNCF electrics worked through the tunnel:
https://www.videoscene.co.uk/the-channel-tunnel-gateway-to-europe

littledude

There's a simple answer - for trains through the tunnel the relevant WTT will be a Eurotunnel document with the Eurostar and shuttle paths in it, in addition to freight to and from Dollands Moor. Realtime trains or similar websites don't show these WTT paths and they don't exist as schedules in TRUST (except for Eurostar trains, which obviously run over Network Rail infrastructure on the CTRL).

I don't think the Eurotunnel WTT is a public document, but there is some technical documentation on the Eurotunnel website (the infrastructure operator "Groupe Eurotunnel" is now known as Getlink) going into the details of the access conditions, timetabling process and charges for using the tunnel. PDF documents titled "Fixed Link Usage Annual Statement" for 2022 to 2024 are available from this page:
https://www.getlinkgroup.com/en/our-group/eurotunnel/eurotunnel-railway-network/

For example it says this about the general timetabling process and allocation of paths:

Schedules for freight within the tunnel don't really concern Network Rail too much, as they only briefly touch Network Rail infrastructure next to the Eurotunnel boundary on their journey to or from Dollands Moor Yard. For the same reason, you have Eurostar schedules along the CTRL that have a timing point at the Eurotunnel boundary and then nothing until Paris or Brussels.

The VSTP tunnel schedules that appear in TRUST (and therefore Realtime trains and so on) are created by the staff at Dollands Moor Yard, mainly for the purpose of allowing a TOPS wagon consist to be input for tunnel freight, which in turn allows visibility on TOPS of wagons being in the UK or not. Once wagons arrive at Frethun yard they are automatically shown as being "off TOPS" with a description of "TO CONTINENT." Internationally registered wagons which left the UK years ago, never to return, can sometimes be found in TOPS with a last reported location of Dunkerque, arriving on a date prior to the end of train ferry operations (the ferry had regular schedules created for it like a train and was probably in the British Rail WTT somewhere).

GBRF (who have a separate DOLMGBF location for Dollands Moor schedules) don't work quite the same way, for example the Antwerp - Irvine china clay service (which has now ceased) was not normally entered onto any schedule through the tunnel, since the control of trains within the tunnel is not based on TRUST. On Network Rail, TRUST schedules are firmly linked to control of trains, signalling and track access but this doesn't apply to Eurotunnel, so DB tunnel schedules are entered as required, based on what has already been agreed with Eurotunnel either ad hoc or using an existing WTT path.

The regular tunnel freight services will have WTT slots (and regular headcodes) but given the obvious potential for late-running of trains coming long distances over international borders, the actual time they run may differ on the day. One consideration is that it is obviously preferable to take a train to France and bring one back, rather than needing to run light engine in one direction, another is that there would probably be more freight paths available during the night, depending on engineering work. Light engine paths through the tunnel can be distinguished by the second digit of the headcode (tunnel headcodes don't have letters in them) being a 5, such as 4501. From what I can remember reading somewhere, I think Eurotunnel actually refer to trains by a 5-digit headcode similar to continental practice, but only 4 digits appear in TRUST.

Back when there was more channel tunnel freight, in the era of Railfreight Distribution for example, it's quite possible that tunnel trains appeared in UK WTT documentation as they had to be carefully co-ordinated with SNCF. Schedules to Dollands Moor still have a UIC code associated with them which is (or at least was) intended to be the 5-digit European headcode for the train's onward journey into Europe (e.g. 47414). These days, with a handful of distinct regular freight flows operating through the tunnel, there is less potential for confusion.

There's a Cinerail DVD (originally released on VHS) available for £10 which gives a good historical insight into tunnel freight operations back in the days when pairs of SNCF electrics worked through the tunnel:
Absolutely fantastic post - I liked to think I had a pretty good understanding of UK-EU freight ops, but I’ve just learnt plenty there!

I hope you’re not on commission, as I’ve just had to open my wallet for a tenner for that DVD! :lol:

Cheers,
Tom

distinctratio

Excuse the late response but thanks for the very detailed response, it's quite interesting knowing how these things work.

Adrian Barr

I hope you’re not on commission, as I’ve just had to open my wallet for a tenner for that DVD!

I've got far too many railway DVDs but that one stands out as a good documentary on freight, using access that isn't available to the public. I bought it on DVD to replace an old VHS copy, it's definitely overdue for a re-watch. From what I can remember, they film trains in Dollands Moor Yard, take a look inside the traffic office where TOPS e.t.c. is done, and take a cab ride through the tunnel to Frethun on a 92.

It makes a good companion, of comparable quality, to the excellent Telerail "Rail Freight Today" series filmed in the late 80s/early 90s, which features footage from terminals and other normally inaccessible locations. At some point Telerail must have licensed that series out to one of the DVD companies that sell the generic "Steam trains in the UK" type box sets, because years ago I found the complete set of 10 available as a box set (on double-sided discs) in "The Works" for £15 or some ridiculously cheap price. In fact you can still find that box set second-hand on Amazon for just over £20 if anyone is interested - https://www.amazon.co.uk/10-Pack-freight-including-Freight/dp/B000OCYFDC

Status
Not open for further replies.