• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Why do British licence plates use both O and 0?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The exile

Established Member
German number plates use umlauts, and suffixes E, electric, H, historic.
And their standard typeface differentiates clearly between I and 1 and O and 0. I hadn't realised / noticed till now that ours were absolutely identical. The "entering into a computer" problem didn't of course exist when the original number plate font saw the light of day in 1935!
The problem with zero is compounded by the fact that "oh" can mean both 0 and O. Is the registration of the Lord Provost of Edinburgh's official car "SO" or "S0"?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

stuart100100

I think the old ABC123A and A123ABC systems didn't generally use the letters O or I in any position, although Northern Ireland had some with I in them.

I have it in my head they didn't use Z either, maybe so not to be confused with 2? (although Northern Ireland did). The current format does though

dosxuk

Established Member
If we're removing numbers because of the potential for confusion, we'd better also remove: 2 - Z, 5 - S and 8 - B; and give special consideration to 3 - E, 6 - G and 7 - T.

Maybe we should remove numbers entirely?

Or, as it's not causing any major issues right now, just carry on as we are?

XAM2175

Established Member
If we're removing numbers because of the potential for confusion, we'd better also remove: 2 - Z, 5 - S and 8 - B; and give special consideration to 3 - E, 6 - G and 7 - T.

Maybe we should remove numbers entirely?

Or, as it's not causing any major issues right now, just carry on as we are?
Or perhaps there's a genuine difference between glyphs that might appear similar to others and glyphs that are identical to others?

etr221

Or perhaps there's a genuine difference between glyphs that might appear similar to others and glyphs that are identical to others?
That is the point: O/0 and I/1 do - intententionally - use the same glyph, so they are identical; for others some effort has been made to make them different.

But as it is, when O/0 or I/1 are used, they can only be told apart by context (i.e. understanding the format and restrictions), not by looking at the plate...

I have it in my head they didn't use Z either, maybe so not to be confused with 2? (although Northern Ireland did). The current format does though
Before the current (2001) system, the letter Z was only used in Ireland,

Last edited:

XAM2175

Established Member
That is the point: O/0 and I/1 do - intententionally - use the same glyph, so they are identical; for others some effort has been made to make them different.

But as it is, when O/0 or I/1 are used, they can only be told apart by context (i.e. understanding the format and restrictions), not by looking at the plate...
Yeah, so the OP's question is reasonable - unlike the absurd premise of the post I quoted.

TheSel

Around 1962/3, Chester issued registration numbers with four digits, followed by FM (their two letter area code) - for example 1234 FM. Great care was taken to ensure that no four digit number ending in zero was issued (for example 1230 FM - not issued), in order to avoid confusion with the 1960 issue of three digits followed by OFM - for example 123 OFM. I'm sure other vehicle licensing offices took a similar position.

This had a knock-on effect on Crosville's inability to obtain "complete" batches of registration numbers, so although they had all available instances of 1198-1247 FM registrations, they did not have 1200/1210/1220/1230/1240 FM. Thus, this batch which could have been expected to comprise 50 registrations, only comprised 45, and (for example) consecutive vehicles with fleetnumbers DFG120 / DFG121 - which also had consecutive chassis and body numbers - were registered 1199 FM and 1201 FM respectively.

johncrossley

Established Member
As an aside, the term 'number plate' (sometimes spelt 'numberplate') is the preferred term in British English. 'License plate' is used in the US, 'licence plate' is used in Canada.

geoffk

Established Member
Before the current (2001) system, the letter Z was only used in Ireland,
Under the 1903 scheme, the letters I and Z were reserved for Ireland and this practice continued after partition, until 1987 when the Republic of Ireland introduced a completely new system. Northern Ireland marks still contain I or Z. The registration mark OO was not originally issued, presumably to avoid confusion with zeros, but in 1961 it was allocated to Essex, which otherwise would have run out of available combinations.

Established Member
The letter I is only ever used on dateless plates and those issued in Northern Ireland - no mainland British plates using either the old prefix and suffix system or the current system can have the letter I in them.

The problem with zero is compounded by the fact that "oh" can mean both 0 and O. Is the registration of the Lord Provost of Edinburgh's official car "SO" or "S0"?
In that particular case, it could only be S 0, as all plates have at least one letter and one number.

The small number of x 0 plates are also something of an anomaly, since they would never be issued under normal circumstances but were special issue in cases where the x 1 plate had already been issued.
I believe there are only 8 of them, all being in Scotland used on cars of the Provost/Lord Provost of a particular area, with the exception of LM 0 which is on the car of the Lord Mayor of London.

ExRes

Established Member
As a result, people frequently enter their licence plates wrong into computer systems (for example, when renewing road tax).

I'd have to say that if someone can't tell the difference between 0 and O on their keyboard when entering their own vehicle registration, they should have their driving licence removed with as much speed as possible

jp4712

Many years ago I was a manager on the London congestion charge, in fact at the time it was being designed and implemented. My gricer knowledge was put to good use by sitting with a programmer to define all valid registration number formats, that was an interestig week. For example AAAnnnn isn't a valid combination; unless it's a Northern Ireland plate in which case it's valid so long as the alpha characters include the letters I or Z... But there are, theoretically, some quite unusual formats that are valid such as nnnnA or Ann (the latter being rather expensive).

I could tell you a LOT of stories about that time, having been an insider on that project...

Ediswan

Established Member
But there are, theoretically, some quite unusual formats that are valid such as nnnnA or Ann (the latter being rather expensive).
I recall seeing R22 once. I was not sure if it was genuine, or somebody had left a show plate on by mistake.

jp4712

A couple of plates from that time stand out. One was A4 - I forget what it was on at the time, but these days it's on a Volvo; and ER11, which was a cracking plate for Her Maj but it was on something really crappy like a Sunbeam Alpine. I just looked it up and it's continuing the tradition by being on a Ford.

At that time we issued a penalty charge notice to Y99, which turned out to be a veteran car that hadn't left its home in a Bristol museum since 1947 - if you read the amusing BBC story about it from 2003, the unnamed spokesman for the congestion charge was me.

BBC NEWS | England | Vintage car's congestion fine

Ediswan

Established Member
I see AV8 is still going. In the 1970s, it was owned by a BA pilot who lived locally.

TheSel

In similar vein - presumably owned by a Shakespearian Actor?

1625501269755.png

[Image - my own - shows a Bentley with the registration '2 BE' (or not to be!). 10/10/2009]

Gloster

Established Member
In the town where my parents used to live there was a (large) mobility scooter with a personalised number plate.

I did once see a small hatchback with a personalised number plate. However, it was A1BSM and appeared to be owned by the British School of Motoring, so it was probably intended to be put on their stand at trade events, county shows, etc. What it was doing wandering the backroads near Sixpenny Handley is another matter.

miklcct

On Moderation
I'd have to say that if someone can't tell the difference between 0 and O on their keyboard when entering their own vehicle registration, they should have their driving licence removed with as much speed as possible

Sorry but how is this relevant? People enter their vehicle registrations wrongly because they can't tell the difference between 0 and O on their licence plate!

87 027

Sorry but how is this relevant? People enter their vehicle registrations wrongly because they can't tell the difference between 0 and O on their licence plate!
What is your evidence that there is a substantial problem caused by UK residents not understanding the UK registration number scheme and therefore entering details incorrectly online, especially where the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) apply edit checks to prevent invalid registration numbers being accepted by their online systems?

Last edited:

ExRes

Established Member

I'm sorry as well, if you can't read the number on your own plate then you've got a serious eyesight problem as well as a serious lack of understanding

letter letter number number letter letter letter

what's the problem understanding that?

87 027

letter letter number number letter letter letter
Spot on. In the current UK numbering scheme there is no ambiguity. There are no positions where the letter O and the number zero are validly interchangeable.

@miklcct I challenge you again - please provide evidence that this is an actual problem in everyday UK life, rather than something theoretical prompted by your experiences of moving from a different jurisdiction

Last edited:

miklcct

On Moderation
Spot on. In the current UK numbering scheme there is no ambiguity. There are no positions where the letter O and the number zero are validly interchangeable.

@miklcct I challenge you again - please provide evidence that this is an actual problem in everyday UK life, rather than something theoretical prompted by your experiences of moving from a different jurisdiction

Even the council can't distinguish O and 0 properly that it issued a parking permit with the wrong characters that the owner didn't realise as well, leading to a series of parking charge notices.

TheEdge

Established Member

Even the council can't distinguish O and 0 properly that it issued a parking permit with the wrong characters that the owner didn't realise as well, leading to a series of parking charge notices.

A single Quora answer with an anecdote about a fastidious council parking inspector is evidential proof that the UK number plate system is broken beyond use? Do you not think the DVLA or police would have raised this as an issue if it actually was one?

You'll be interested to know I managed to survive ownership of a car with a number plate that started with AO14 for several years without a single issue, with an O and 1 directly next to each other. Thinking about it my last three cars, all being originally registered in Norwich, have begun with AO, and the amount of times is caused an issue? 0. Oh, and that 0 not O as much like on a number plate context should make that abundantly clear.

Status
Not open for further replies.