• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Why do people have rose tinted views of British Rail?

Status
Not open for further replies.

delt1c

Established Member
Its not rose tinted specs, BR had many shortcomings and problems. However it is Public transport run for the public and not the profit. If government could put the same resources into operating a public transport system which was efficient and cost effective. Then profits could be reinvested in the network and not the shareholders. Yes it is controversial but what is better a £1 given to a shareholder or a £1 reinvested for the public and the countries economy

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Veteran Member
Latecomer to this thread, with some thoughts.

1. A perspective that no-one else has mentioned: BR compared with its West European competitors - and here my early 70s impressions were very much pro-BR: even Switzerland (which then was the most impressive of the systems I used) disappointed by the barely-upholstered seats of its standard stock - and it was a pleasant surprise to discover the Austrian Transalpin EMUs which had soft cushions - in contrast to the 4-wheelers on some branch lines!
Even a few years later, when I could afford to travel abroad again, SNCF was still operating non-gangwayed MUs on long cross-country routes, even though expresses were airconditioned Corail stock. DB by then had decent air conditioned IC stock too, on an impressive regular-interval timetable.
But all in all, I felt that BR was still ahead of the game (though that was about to change...), which may have influenced my views. However, that's a bit OR.

2. Obviously personal experience is significant. For me the formative period was roughly 1967-84, either as an SR commuter or travelling much further afield. Obviously this means I avoided some run-down areas but overall I think I had a reasonable sample of BR. So:
The railway was steadily modernising with improving (faster, more frequent, better rolling stock...) services. Provincial lines on the whole had usable services because of the PSO grant. Stations too were being modernised (even if basically) and even reopened.
Against that, I recall - run-down stations (Snow Hill in its last days...), drastic economy cuts to SR evening and Sunday services, large numbers of cancellations due to staff shortages in the late 70s, major industrial relations issues and how poor communication could be when things went wrong (I had two years in a Telephone Enquiry Bureau...)
Then there was unsuitable rolling stock on long journeys (Birmingham-Pwllheli by suburban DMU...) - and how difficult it was to get anywhere from Cambridge (I spent a fair bit of time helping colleagues find routes to interviews all over England...),

Astute readers (if anyone gets this far) will realise that every one of these topics could be recent thread titles on RUK - so I don't fall into either camp - rose-tinted or anti-BR.

WesternLancer

Established Member
Its not rose tinted specs, BR had many shortcomings and problems. However it is Public transport run for the public and not the profit. If government could put the same resources into operating a public transport system which was efficient and cost effective. Then profits could be reinvested in the network and not the shareholders. Yes it is controversial but what is better a £1 given to a shareholder or a £1 reinvested for the public and the countries economy
But there isn't really a profit is there anyway - the railway needs more subsidy than it brings in (globally) - so the profit is taken by a contractor for running part of it (in the same way that the company that builds the photocopier in the network rail office makes a profit when they sell the photocopier - that profit could have been re-invested in Ntwrok Rail if NR could build photocopies for themselves more cheaply, let us say)

When BR was nationalised in 1948 it did make a profit and it was thought that that would carry on - and the state cream off the profits (as they did with say Royal Mail for many years), like a dividend - the 1945 Lab Govt felt that essential public services should not make profits for shareholders, but make profits for 'society' aka govt. Those profits were declining so the Modernization Plan of 1955 was meant to turn things around, it didn't. The Beaching Report was then meant to turn things around, but it didn't. There were still losses.

So the system is not about profit - there isn't any - it's about the least level of subsidy required to run it.

Which is why it's pretend capitalism.

So that begs the real question - which is 'can a private contractor run the railway for less than a government owned organisation?'

It should be possible to compare say DoR run LNER with a private TOC to find out - well that is what DfT should have been doing these last few years anyway, and that is what the Williams Review ought to have looked at. I suspect Williams was not allowed to do that however.

Mind you I tend to agree with your view personally - and it should be perfectly possible for a govt owned operation to run a good quality service, and if it is feasible to do so, generate a dividend. As others have said, BR was a mixed bag, but more good than bad on balance I would say. Most private operators have been weak, and only upped their game when they got Br trained leaders leading, or so it often seemed. The worst of the private operators have been shocking, with very poor customer service and a poorly presented product.

Last edited:

Meerkat

Established Member
That makes the usual assumption that the £1 in profit would still exist under nationalisation, particular as time goes on. No incentive to make profit soon leads to no profit.
Didnt the German local governments find that private operators saved them 20-30% on what DB had been charging?

delt1c

Established Member
That makes the usual assumption that the £1 in profit would still exist under nationalisation, particular as time goes on. No incentive to make profit soon leads to no profit.
Didnt the German local governments find that private operators saved them 20-30% on what DB had been charging?
Which is why BR needed a serious restructuring and revamp.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member

Yep, same in many other european operations. Key difference in Germany is that many staff don’t transfer to the new operator, and therefore it’s new terms and conditions for the staff.

However, perhaps the biggest point is that these cost reductions didn’t happen when BR was privatised. Which rather shows what it was best at in the latter days, and that is ruthlessly cutting costs.

Meerkat

Established Member
Yep, same in many other european operations. Key difference in Germany is that many staff don’t transfer to the new operator, and therefore it’s new terms and conditions for the staff.

However, perhaps the biggest point is that these cost reductions didn’t happen when BR was privatised. Which rather shows what it was best at in the latter days, and that is ruthlessly cutting costs.
So the best option is a Tory run nationalised system. I will let you break that to the RMT :lol:

yorksrob

Veteran Member

Which is better than large scale closures.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Noting what @30907 said about railways on the continent in post #122 - I remember being told in the 1980s (or maybe early 1990s) that BR ran more trains per day at 100mph or over than any other European country.
Was there any truth in that would anyone know?

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Noting what @30907 said about railways on the continent in post #122 - I remember being told in the 1980s (or maybe early 1990s) that BR ran more trains per day at 100mph or over than any other European country.

Reasonably sure that was the case before 1983 when the full LGV SE opened, and probably until 1989 with LGV Atlantique

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I'd suggest anyone who had rose tinted spectacles about latter day pre-privatisation BR should try to get hold of a copy of the Victoria Wood Great Railway Journey. It was on YouTube at one point but I think it was taken down. It is really depressing - it was a picture of a railway in severe decline.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Reasonably sure that was the case before 1983 when the full LGV SE opened, and probably until 1989 with LGV Atlantique

The claim was made in a BR advert for the Intercity 225 - so about 88/89 or so.

Don't know the exact numbers, but the early PSE LGV timetable wasn't particularly intensive, AIUI.

And, in BR's favour, "100mph" probably included allsorts like Class 442s?

I'd suggest anyone who had rose tinted spectacles about latter day pre-privatisation BR should try to get hold of a copy of the Victoria Wood Great Railway Journey. It was on YouTube at one point but I think it was taken down. It is really depressing - it was a picture of a railway in severe decline.

A great documentary. Filmed in 1995 and depicting a railway that nobody seemed to care about any more. Probably about the low point before fortunes reversed about the time of privatisation.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
A great documentary. Filmed in 1995 and depicting a railway that nobody seemed to care about any more. Probably about the low point before fortunes reversed about the time of privatisation.

Indeed. When I watched that, I would have doubted many of the lines featured (e.g. Whitby and the Cumbrian Coast) had any chance of still being open now (even if COVID might threaten them again).

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
The claim was made in a BR advert for the Intercity 225 - so about 88/89 or so.

Don't know the exact numbers, but the early PSE LGV timetable wasn't particularly intensive, AIUI.

And, in BR's favour, "100mph" probably included allsorts like Class 442s?

Well it included everything that travelled at 100mph at any point in its journey. So basically everything with n InterCity badge in it, save the few Midland /XC / Western services with a 47 on the front (and the Gat Ex), plus the Clactons, some Scotrail services, and a few other bits and bobs.

I wouldn’t be surprised if it was still the case today, given how many commuter services will touch 100 somewhere.

tbtc

Veteran Member
Re-reading some of this thread, the pro-BR camp seems to be split between "we should bring back BR so we'd get droplights, guards vans, MotorRail and full restaurants on most lines" and "we should bring back BR so that the Government would be able to determine fare increases, order new trains and insist upon the liveries"...

It's not really surprising that the Gatwick Express didn't have the same restaurant facilities as the Highland Chieftan. It was a bit of a short journey for a full sit down meal.

Okay, so you agree that it's a bit naive to suggest there should be one identical standard for all InterCity journeys, or that there ever was one identical standard?

Don’t remember any BR intercity service being done with anything other than 125s and other assorted loco hauled stuff

You could have InterCity services run by 47s, 73s, 158s - all much slower than 125mph - it certainly wasn't all HSTs.

Apart from 2 anomalies where I had a trip from Kings cross to Leeds on a WYMetro branded 321 EMU and a trip From Birmingham to Manchester on a very old commuter EMU but can’t remember the class. Both of these were obviously unscheduled changes but it does highlight what some have said earlier that the BR system did have some flexibility when things went wrong unlike today, as all the stock and staff were working for the same organisation. Don’t think you’d get much cooperation to fix things like this today

You mean like FGW/GWR putting a 143 on a Devon - Paddington service when there wasn't a fit HST available? From what people have said, the Pacer ran as far as Reading, rather than continuing as a 75mph train all the way into London, but such things do happen (I've mentioned earlier the way that EMT ran HSTs to Lincoln and Skegness each year, or 222s to Liverpool).

Even if you had a nationalised railway, you'd still need to deal with the fact that staff are only trained on so many types of train and routes - if you want the flexibility to run the same stock that does the Leeds - Doncaster stopper all the way to London in the event of disruption then that's going to require a lot of route/stock knowledge retention, to ensure that sufficient staff kept their boxes ticked. All this "resilience" comes at a price.

The 158 workings on XC (introduced under BR but extended to the privatised era) were effectively an overlay to the underlying core IC routes, a flexible way of allowing through connections to be retained that matched the demand on routes that were not so core to the operation at the time.

It made a lot of sense(to run the service with 158s), but BR didn't pretend that all InterCity services had the same level of comfort/speed/ facilities - twenty five years later though, some people like to pretend that InterCity meant a consistent level of such things.

That's probably true, tho I was mainly considering BR's high fare increases, but they have to be seen in the context of the prevailing inflation at the time. The only really valid comparison is how much above or below inflation fare increases are year on year or course, over time. But there were indeed BR increases above inflation during that period as the govt sought to increase passenger share of costs, as they have done again in recent years of course

That's fair.

All too often people blame the Government of the day for all of the "bad" under BR (e.g. it wasn't BR's fault, the nasty Government made them increase fares, slash services and only order two new carriages for every three that were being scrapped) whilst praising BR for all of the "good" that happened (even if that was just an artist's impression of stock that they wanted to order but didn't)

Where does that logic end up though? The money used to give staff a pay rise could be used to spend on infrastructure instead, the money used to improve safety could have been used on buying new trains...

Are you so politically biased that you'd rather have BR-run newsagents at big stations, or are you okay with WH Smith taking profits from running such shops (that is money that could have been used for the public good)? Is it okay for the buffet cars to buy food from catering companies or should "the railway" grow its own food to ensure that no money leaked out into the dreaded private sector? Should BR own its own clothing company or is it okay to buy uniforms from a third party? Or is it okay for some private sector involvement, because that is cheaper/ more efficient than everything being provided by the state?

But there isn't really a profit is there anyway - the railway needs more subsidy than it brings in (globally) - so the profit is taken by a contractor for running part of it (in the same way that the company that builds the photocopier in the network rail office makes a profit when they sell the photocopier - that profit could have been re-invested in Ntwrok Rail if NR could build photocopies for themselves more cheaply, let us say)

When BR was nationalised in 1948 it did make a profit and it was thought that that would carry on - and the state cream off the profits (as they did with say Royal Mail for many years), like a dividend - the 1945 Lab Govt felt that essential public services should not make profits for shareholders, but make profits for 'society' aka govt. Those profits were declining so the Modernization Plan of 1955 was meant to turn things around, it didn't. The Beaching Report was then meant to turn things around, but it didn't. There were still losses.

So the system is not about profit - there isn't any - it's about the least level of subsidy required to run it.

Which is why it's pretend capitalism.

So that begs the real question - which is 'can a private contractor run the railway for less than a government owned organisation?'

It should be possible to compare say DoR run LNER with a private TOC to find out - well that is what DfT should have been doing these last few years anyway, and that is what the Williams Review ought to have looked at. I suspect Williams was not allowed to do that however.

Mind you I tend to agree with your view personally - and it should be perfectly possible for a govt owned operation to run a good quality service, and if it is feasible to do so, generate a dividend. As others have said, BR was a mixed bag, but more good than bad on balance I would say. Most private operators have been weak, and only upped their game when they got Br trained leaders leading, or so it often seemed. The worst of the private operators have been shocking, with very poor customer service and a poorly presented product.

Fair points.

I'd like to keep an open mind and see whether DOR/LNER were more efficient at running the ECML franchise than GNER/ NXEC/ VTEC, based on an agreed set of benchmarks (premium repaid to the Treasury, punctuality etc) - if the State can provide things better then I've no problem with the State doing so (even if "the State" is actually some expensive Management Consultants).

I think that, for the most part, the Government has ended up with the TOCs that it deserved, given the requirements that they gave them - e.g. if you have a tight set of requirements that ScotRail's "SQUIRE" then you'll keep the TOC on its toes - if you allow the winning bidder to run the franchise for ten years with no commitment to increase the number of services/ carriages/ seats then you can't blame the private sector if they take the easy route and do the bare minimum. But the Government needs to decide what it wants to pay for and how carefully to manage the relationship.

yorksrob

Veteran Member

I didn't get that impression at all.

Okay, so you agree that it's a bit naive to suggest there should be one identical standard for all InterCity journeys, or that there ever was one identical standard?

Not at all. I think it would be sensible to have a similar offer on the core InterCity routes between London and the other cities. Perhaps something a little pared back for cross-country, but it should still be of a recognisable quality.

Anyhow, getting back to the OP, if people had a largely positive experience of travelling on BR, they will look back upon it positively. If they didn't, they won't.

Last edited:

nr758123

Why do people who praise any aspect of BR compared to the franchised train operating companies get accused of seeing BR through rose-tinted spectacles?

I got accused of that for pointing out that "cancellation due to driver shortage" was unheard of under BR, but became commonplace under First North Western and recurred from time to time under subsequent franchisees.

stj

I think the pre HST mid 70s was the worst period for BR.Most Stations were still "as built" and filthy along with old Mk1 coaches and DMUs.Rude staff and strikes did not help.Catering was awful from Ham/Cheese sandwiches to tinned food in the Restaurant Car.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
I didn't get that impression at all.

Not at all. I think it would be sensible to have a similar offer on the core InterCity routes between London and the other cities. Perhaps something a little pared back for cross-country, but it should still be of a recognisable quality.

Anyhow, getting back to the OP, if people had a largely positive experience of travelling on BR, they will look back upon it positively. If they didn't, they won't.

"Decline" is probably a bit harsh. I'd say "a railway without a clear future purpose or political will to change".

GoneSouth

You mean like FGW/GWR putting a 143 on a Devon - Paddington service when there wasn't a fit HST available? From what people have said, the Pacer ran as far as Reading, rather than continuing as a 75mph train all the way into London, but such things do happen (I've mentioned earlier the way that EMT ran HSTs to Lincoln and Skegness each year, or 222s to Liverpool).

Even if you had a nationalised railway, you'd still need to deal with the fact that staff are only trained on so many types of train and routes - if you want the flexibility to run the same stock that does the Leeds - Doncaster stopper all the way to London in the event of disruption then that's going to require a lot of route/stock knowledge retention, to ensure that sufficient staff kept their boxes ticked. All this "resilience" comes at a price.
Wow, glad I wasn’t on that pacer! Could it have gone to Paddington if required? Thought I’d read on one of the moaning about pacer threads that they weren’t cleared to any London stations but I maybe wrong.

It does sound like a logistical nightmare to have all lines cleared for all types of train, as well as staff training. Which makes me wonder how my 321 journey actually happened at all. There was normally no need to run a 321 south of Doncaster and I guess there was no real need to have ECML drivers trained on 321, so why did they go to all the trouble. I’m glad they did as I would have been stranded in London!

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Undoubtedly. Although no doubt BR would have done that had they been allowed to by the politicians.

Carefull - plenty of evidence in say Lord Faulkener's / Chris Austin book "Holding the Line" - how BR fought a tough corner to prevent large scale closures. The phrase "the crumbling edge of quality" stressed their desire to see some sort of better funding to prevent run down / closure of the regional system.

Counterbalanced of course by swathes of affordable re-openings of stations. Even the odd line - Birmingham Cross City being one "developed" if not all re-opened.

tbtc

Veteran Member

The thing is, a lot of today's regular commuters who are fed up with every minor delay that causes them to be late for work/ late picking up their kids/ late home only had experience of BR as the way of getting to their summer holidays, so will have lots of positive associations with the fun adventure of that annual journey - they weren't relying on BR to get them to/from work hundreds of times a year - so it's not comparing apples with apples.

Train travel used to be a lot of fun when I was growing up - but then I became a daily commuter and started to get ground down by each little thing that went wrong - whereas most of the people who were commuting by BR in the 1970s/1980s will have long retired by now

Why do people who praise any aspect of BR compared to the franchised train operating companies get accused of seeing BR through rose-tinted spectacles?

I got accused of that for pointing out that "cancellation due to driver shortage" was unheard of under BR, but became commonplace under First North Western and recurred from time to time under subsequent franchisees.

You're saying that there were never cancellations due to driver shortages in BR days?

Or are you saying that BR didn't have to explain themselves to the public to the same degree, so didn't have to quantify every delay/cancellation - the train simply wouldn't run (or would turn up late) - it's easy for people to complaint/laugh/sneer at the modern railway's failures, every "unusually large flow of passengers" or "late running inbound service" etc etc but I don't remember BR having to justify themselves in the same box-ticking way that TOCs do - given all of the "industrial relations" issues that BR had, there were certainly many times when there weren't sufficient drivers though!

Wow, glad I wasn’t on that pacer! Could it have gone to Paddington if required? Thought I’d read on one of the moaning about pacer threads that they weren’t cleared to any London stations but I maybe wrong.

It does sound like a logistical nightmare to have all lines cleared for all types of train, as well as staff training. Which makes me wonder how my 321 journey actually happened at all. There was normally no need to run a 321 south of Doncaster and I guess there was no real need to have ECML drivers trained on 321, so why did they go to all the trouble. I’m glad they did as I would have been stranded in London!

I'm impressed that they were able to run your 321 - I think that there were a few examples of unusual traction in the rough weeks/months following Hatfield - there's occasional examples when one type of stock is suddenly declared unfit for service.

But the real problem IMHO is twofold:

Firstly, there are so many different types of train (and so complicated nowadays, given the computers on board) that it'd be hard for any public/private railway to keep staff trained on all of the possible stock to drive/guard - that's just the nature of modern units - the move from loco hauled to units was happening under BR, and that meant significantly more classes (e.g. there were a total of over eight hundred locomotives built in just Class 37/47, whereas one individual TOC can have over a dozen different types of DMU/EMU)

Secondly, with the railway being so much busier nowadays, there's more specialisation for staff/stock, so you don't have the same trains running local/ longer distance services and you don't have the same staff working on such services - so staff tend to be focussed on a smaller number of routes - to maintain a full "route card" across a whole region of the country would take them away from the day job - so even if there was a "nationalised" railway you'd have a clear division between "Provincial" and "InterCity" drivers, even if working from the same depot (e.g. Neville Hill, Heaton).

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Carefull - plenty of evidence in say Lord Faulkener's / Chris Austin book "Holding the Line" - how BR fought a tough corner to prevent large scale closures. The phrase "the crumbling edge of quality" stressed their desire to see some sort of better funding to prevent run down / closure of the regional system.

Counterbalanced of course by swathes of affordable re-openings of stations. Even the odd line - Birmingham Cross City being one "developed" if not all re-opened.

Fair point!

Veteran Member
I think the pre HST mid 70s was the worst period for BR.Most Stations were still "as built" and filthy along with old Mk1 coaches and DMUs.Rude staff and strikes did not help.Catering was awful from Ham/Cheese sandwiches to tinned food in the Restaurant Car.
What tinned food was that? I rarely used restaurant cars but I'm sure the peas were cooked from frozen...

The cancellations I referred to upthread were put down to staff shortages. I think it tended to be guards on the SR - this being before guards could become drivers IIRC

Undoubtedly - there was some limited 200kph running before HSLs in both Germany and France, and more at 160, but 140 was the highest normal speed generally. Most of the UK mileage would have been HST or WCML electric by 1989, the 442s/309s less significant. Incidentally, I think even pre TGV/HST, BR would have led on 100mph mileage - the frequency of BR capping the longer distances in France (and Germany).

yorksrob

Veteran Member
The thing is, a lot of today's regular commuters who are fed up with every minor delay that causes them to be late for work/ late picking up their kids/ late home only had experience of BR as the way of getting to their summer holidays, so will have lots of positive associations with the fun adventure of that annual journey - they weren't relying on BR to get them to/from work hundreds of times a year - so it's not comparing apples with apples.

Train travel used to be a lot of fun when I was growing up - but then I became a daily commuter and started to get ground down by each little thing that went wrong - whereas most of the people who were commuting by BR in the 1970s/1980s will have long retired by now

Well, I've been commuting for over twenty years, and it hasn't entirely jaundiced my enjoyment of day trips, family visits etc by rail.

Status
Not open for further replies.