• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Why do people have rose tinted views of British Rail?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darandio

Established Member
But I’ve met plenty of railway workers from those days that were proud of the work they did (there’s a fair few on here), and to just rip it to pieces and make the work they did seem null and void seems a bit unfair on them somehow...

You won't see many that were working the track singing the praises of BR, certainly from a financial perspective, at least not my dad!

42 years he was on the northern ECML, saw steam move to diesel and then electric and he has great memories of innovation. What he doesn't have great memories of is a flat 5 day week not being enough to make ends meet and having to work a 12 hour shift every Saturday night to make the money up, he did this right until 1996 when he retired. I'm not even sure that would be allowed now, maybe someone can answer?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Journeyman

Established Member
You won't see many that were working the track singing the praises of BR, certainly from a financial perspective, at least not my dad!

42 years he was on the northern ECML, saw steam move to diesel and then electric and he has great memories of innovation. What he doesn't have great memories of is a flat 5 day week not being enough to make ends meet and having to work a 12 hour shift every Saturday night to make the money up, he did this right until 1996 when he retired. I'm not even sure that would be allowed now, maybe someone can answer?

Certainly that would have been problematic after the Clapham Junction crash, which was of course caused by a wiring mistake made by someone working ridiculous hours.

BR could never afford to pay decent wages or employ enough staff to keep going without overtime. I did some work experience with them in 1989 in the middle of an overtime ban, and the service descended into absolute chaos. They desperately needed people to work crazy hours to keep things going until surprisingly recently. Also, the generous travel perks were primarily given to attract and retain staff in the face of poor wages.

Employment conditions and pay have improved beyond all recognition since privatisation, and the unions have made it work to their members' advantage. It's one of the odd unintended consequences.

randyrippley

Established Member
On the WCML before Virgin the broiled venison was excellent and the wine list even better

WesternLancer

Established Member
Moderator note: Split from https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/rail-franchises-to-be-replaced-with-fixed-fee-contracts.209076/

kind of off topic but if i may ask, whats with the rose tinted views on BR?
That question does make you realise what a hash the privatised operators have made of it in the sense that people generally reckon they are worse than BR was...when BR was never considered that great by the avg passenger - rightly or wrongly.

Can't think of any other privatised industries where people generally think that - tho I personally find BT pretty poor, and although I've not flown for years I get the feeling British Airways have been heading downhill for a long time.

But I do feel the sheer amount of addiotnal funding the privatised railway has had has simply not delivered the level of value that would have been achieved with the same money spent either by (maybe) BR or some other better form of structure. By value I guess I mean 'outcomes' achieved for £'s spent.

On Moderation
Employment conditions and pay have improved beyond all recognition since privatisation, and the unions have made it work to their members' advantage. It's one of the odd unintended consequences.
So, given that the unions supposedly act in their members' interests, why are the unions wanting re-nationalisation?

trebor79

Established Member
In many ways, BR were absolutely dreadful, and if anything went wrong, you'd be absolutely screwed.
True. I recall once I was out for the day with my mother. The last train home was cancelled.
"Wait until the morning" was the helpful reply when she enquired how we were meant to get home.

Although the customer service was lacking, BR did achieve some remarkable successes with very limited resources. I think on balance with sectorisation and some open access operators much of the improvements seen in privatisation could have been delivered under BR, and probably more cost effectively (I doubt there would be nearly brand new fleets of trains being replaced with yet more new stock and stored, for example) and reliably. It's clear that the formation of Railtrack in particular was poorly concieved and implemented.
I also believe destroying the research and engineering side of BR was a huge mistake.

WesternLancer

Established Member
True. I recall once I was out for the day with my mother. The last train home was cancelled.
"Wait until the morning" was the helpful reply when she enquired how we were meant to get home.

Maybe, but that policy didn't endure until the end of BR and change to 'we will get you home if last train goes wrong' type policy overnight when privatised. BR existed for 45ish years and over that time changed in various ways, customer service wise. Poor service culture may well have set in with private operators during the war for example, when various factors impacted on service. That certainly happened with rationing and the retial trade for example, by way of a comparison.

Journeyman

Established Member
So, given that the unions supposedly act in their members' interests, why are the unions wanting re-nationalisation?

Good question. It's always struck me as rather hypocritical. The RMT have seen their members benefit enormously from playing TOCs against each other, and agreeing to some things in some places they refuse to even consider elsewhere.

tbtc

Veteran Member
BR did a lot of good, BR did a lot of bad - given the size of the organisation and its fiftyish year lifespan, of course there are shades of grey - and a lot of people will cherry pick the bits they want to remember to suit their political agenda.

A lot of things have to be seen against a benchmark of what was acceptable at the time - e.g. you could build a station with a few planks of wood once upon a time at the cost of 1% of what a modern station would cost and that would be okay - they could cut corners in safety/ customer service/ reliability that modern TOCs couldn't get away with but that was the way things were - not BR's fault.

I think that "the railway" will always be an easy target for people/ politicians to complain about - and "bring back BR" will always look like a simple solution, without having to explain what that would actually mean, what practical differences that would make that we couldn't do under privatisation (e.g. the Government could have cut fares and ordered new trains if they'd wanted to).

But we've seen how a few months of Government-controlled "Northern" hasn't allowed a magic wand to be waved and has actually made a few things worse (bigger Covid cuts than other TOCs, effectively scrapping some services/lines).

I think that it's a lot easier to find out about things going wrong now - you see people on the Forum (or on Twitter etc) complaining about every significant delay, you have access to exactly how late every train is - all of these things that people would have been unaware of under BR unless it happened to be a train they were on or it got mentioned in a monthly magazine that you paid for - people used to be blissfully unaware of problems.

Also, I think that BR's legacy is quite a carefully balanced one, where they seem to get praise for every improvement that was made but any negativities were the fault of the Government for not handing over enough money - so people praise the new trains BR introduced but it was the Government's fault that they only ordered two carriages for every three that they scrapped - people remember the proposals for various different types of train that BR wanted to order but blame the Government for the fact that there was only enough money to choose one option (e.g. 90s for the WCML or more Networkers for the Southern Region?).

"BR were great for ordering two coach 155s" but "it was the Government's fault that they had to be chopped into single 153s". That kind of thing.

There was a lot of "robbing Peter to pay Paul", where BR didn't have enough locos/units to go round, so would rotate some stock around the country to try to hide it.

How do you have a balanced argument when people absolve BR of blame for anything bad (singling lines when they "rationalised" junctions) and remember all of the proposals that came to naught (e.g. the Pic-Vic tunnel under Manchester).

I think that a lot of BR's reputation comes from the focus they had on marketing, design, liveries. I have a copy of that coffee table "Designed 1948-97" book that I occasionally dip into - they were really ahead of their time at this kind of thing (in an era where organisations like the National Bus Company paid little attention) - I think that BR's marketing/design was much better than the actual running of trains. But it's difficult to have a quantifiable discussion about how things compared, because there's so much emotion/politics involved - easy to moan about modern stats that show 90% punctuality on your local line but we don't have the equivalent figures from thirty/forty/fifty years ago to compare with.

The privatised railway got a lot more public money than what BR got

True, but a lot of the reasons for this are down to...

• The Government stopping cuts from being made (e.g. British Rail would have scrapped a number of failing lines by now - they were closing lines like Woodhead in the 1980s, it certainly didn't stop after the Beeching report), so deeply unprofitable lines are kept, frequencies of lines are preserved in aspic at the level that they were in the mid 1990s (e.g. BR may have turned a route like Burnley to Colne down to just a peak hour service but each new franchise sees the winning bidder having to commit to retaining the hourly frequency all day) - BR had a free hand to slash such things (Blauneu Ffestiniog would have been abandoned many years ago, if BR were able to.
  • TOCs can only put up most fares once a year in line with inflation (plus one percent), rather than being able to increase fares whenever they wanted like BR were
  • Construction industry costs have risen by a lot more than retail prices inflation over the past generation
  • Safety standards have increased significantly, you can't get away with the practices that were acceptable in the 1980s - all of this pushes a lot of costs onto the railway
  • TOCs are paying for things like "delay repay" that BR didn't have to - so of course that has to be accounted for somewhere
  • Staff wages/costs have gone up by a lot more than RPI (are the people arguing privatisation has been bad suggesting that we should have carried on the conversion of lines to DOO at the rate that BR did, removed final salary pensions, imposed the same pay freezes that the rest of the public sector have had?)

Under a nationalised railway system at times of busy services their was always relief services to take the strain of the already full main services

This is the problem with these threads - people have this idealised view of BR, in which all connections were always held (not that trains were ever late in the first place!) and additional carriages were always rustled up at the last minute to extend any service with insufficient seats etc etc

It's true that it was considered. There was a lot of discussion around what form privatisation would take before the final version was settled on.

There's discussion about a lot of things whenever the Government come up with a "big" policy - they generally suggest several different flavours of policy (some of which will be leaked to "friendly" newspapers to gauge reactions) before they settle on a final policy to go into the manifesto or before parliament - I think people fall into this trap whenever new policies are proposed - e.g. there'll be some option in a Tory proposal to send troops in to solve any minor problem but that doesn't mean it was ever the actual policy).

Makes sense to at least review different options and be seen to reject some (in the way that, before re-open the next old railway, the Government will have to be seen to have at least paid lip service to some rather flimsy proposals) ...

...but then people "remember" that some of these and believe that a bit of "blue sky thinking" (that was only ever proposed to it could be rejected by a Government that wanted to have assessed all options) was ever a manifesto commitment or part of a White Paper.

I'm not saying privatisation has been perfect, but criticising a version of privatisation that never actually happened seems a bit of a straw man argument (when there are many serious targets that you could be aiming your fire on)

Journeyman

Established Member
I'm not saying privatisation has been perfect, but criticising a version of privatisation that never actually happened seems a bit of a straw man argument (when there are many serious targets that you could be aiming your fire on)

Absolutely, there were a lot of doom-laden prophecies about in the run-up to privatisation, none of which have come to pass. We were being told to brace ourselves for Beeching Mark 2 and an inability to buy through tickets, and none of it happened. TOCs are now legally obliged to provide minimum standards of service, and it's almost impossible to cut trains or close lines and stations, which BR did frequently, whenever they were strapped for cash.

I think if this pandemic had happened forty years ago, you'd have seen an almost total shutdown of the network, with only parts of it fully reopening afterwards. That's not slagging off BR, that's simply being realistic.

Last edited:

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
BR did quite well on a relatively small fraction of the network, and on its pet projects, but never had the money to keep the whole railway up to date.
The network as a whole was in a very poor state by 1990, especially regional lines - the main money went to Inter City and NSE.
The privatization regime did at least channel investment into all regions, publicly reviewed every 5 years, and the early safety lapses led to massive spend on renewals - money that BR never had.

BR as a corporate entity was considered to be closed and inward-looking, in a world which was rapidly changing (outsourcing, globalisation, low-cost airlines, e-commerce etc).
The government didn't believe BR could be modernised without major surgery, but they chose a public/private business model which turned out to be unworkable after 2-3 franchise cycles.
I'm still not sure they have much idea about what to do next, and could still choose an unworkable business model.
They (all parties) want the arm's length of BR but also the direct control control of all the funds for political ends.
Andrew Adonis said this week that the current cost-plus system is the "worst of both worlds", but I don't remember him doing much about it when he was in office.

AlbertBeale

Established Member
I appreciated the integrated system - though I didn't realise there was any other option until privatisation ... and then I realised what had been lost. Other pluses years back included perfectly good hot food on trains (snacks as well as meals), and things like Red Star parcels, good-sized luggage vans for bikes, etc. And never being called a "customer".

Sean Davidson

British Rail could have been a great thing if the government had not been so tight fisted with funds, pacers were bought because they were cheap instead of a genuine replacement for first generation DMUs, lines were cut to save a few quid, some stations were left in a terrible condition and in the southeast ancient rolling stock was left in service for far too long.
I remember the intro Have I Got News For You used to have that had a CEP slowley rocking its way being overtaken by a sleek TGV, that sumed it up for me, the government didn't give a Donald Duck about the railway.

yorksrob

Veteran Member

If you look back through my posts, you'll see that I was pointing out that the opprobrium caused by the more loony suggestions for privatisation influenced the Government to institute a more regulated form of privatisation. Our less dislocated form of privatisation was developed because of the opposition to privatisation, not in spite of it.

delt1c

Established Member
BR had its good and bad points as have private TOC's. However I am sure if goverment had put the effort and finance into correcting the problems I am sure it could have been fixed, however it was not to be. What BR had was a joined up Network. Maybe if goverment had gone for system like London buses where fares , service and vehicle requirements are set by TFL and a standard livery we have got a more joined up service.

Meerkat

Established Member
I appreciated the integrated system - though I didn't realise there was any other option until privatisation ... and then I realised what had been lost. Other pluses years back included perfectly good hot food on trains (snacks as well as meals), and things like Red Star parcels, good-sized luggage vans for bikes, etc. And never being called a "customer".
I remember the choice of food being terrible, and the subject of much mirth from comedians!

BR had its good and bad points as have private TOC's. However I am sure if goverment had put the effort and finance into correcting the problems I am sure it could have been fixed, however it was not to be. What BR had was a joined up Network. Maybe if goverment had gone for system like London buses where fares , service and vehicle requirements are set by TFL and a standard livery we have got a more joined up service.
“joined up network” - this keeps being mentioned without explaining what the benefits of this are.
Air travel is very much not a joined up network yet seems to be very popular and I don’t hear anyone suggesting we nationalise it.

alexl92

Established Member
Although I am too young to remember BR, what I do like is the idea of a national rail operator with an in-house engineering department that designs, builds and repairs its own rolling stock, keeping things consistent and joined-up. I'm not saying there's no place for private companies on our railways and I know that the DfT still specifies a great deal but I think that's part of the problem - the people specifying the trains aren't the people using or operating the trains. Therefore we end up with the horrific seats on IETs because the DfT went for the cheap option.

nlogax

Established Member
From what I've seen in the forum a few things stand out about how BR was positively viewed - they seem relatively superficial things but I can understand the nostalgia.

- Stock flexibility and the ability to have x, y or z unit or carriage unexpectedly turn up on your service
- Comfiness of seats in old stock
- Alignment of seats to windows
- Locos + carriages in favour of units
- Parcel vans and space for bikes
- Relief services

My memories of BR (outside of NSE which was an entirely different set of experiences) involved waiting on cold platforms waiting for a dirty multiple unit to show up which may or may not have working heating..if it showed up at all. Occasionally there'd be a shiny HST to get somewhere quickly but the period where I'd really appreciate ageing stock and locos was a relatively short one in my early to mid teens.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Therefore we end up with the horrific seats on IETs because the DfT went for the cheap option.
What on earth makes you think that a nationalised rail operator under Treasury control to keep costs down would not make similar decisions. Even BR didn't manufacture its own seats in its latter days or indeed specify them to necessarily be comfortable.

Read Hansard in the early 1990s to see the struggle BR had to justify the Networker fleet and witness how the 12-car railway that BR wanted on the relevant lines never materialised.

On some of the other points:
* where is the big luggage van in a 158, 465 or 165?
* do people really think that the railway would still be carrying parcels today?
* fares could easily have increased as much as they have in the last 25 years with a premium on many of the Intercity routes.

Last edited:

Non Multi

Although I am too young to remember BR, what I do like is the idea of a national rail operator with an in-house engineering department that designs, builds and repairs its own rolling stock, keeping things consistent and joined-up. I'm not saying there's no place for private companies on our railways and I know that the DfT still specifies a great deal but I think that's part of the problem - the people specifying the trains aren't the people using or operating the trains. Therefore we end up with the horrific seats on IETs because the DfT went for the cheap option.
Thankfully the past can be viewed online:

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
I’m quite enjoying the multiple references to NSE.

It was in existence for less than 8 years, and for the first two of those the implementation of it were variable.

It was also the but of many, many jokes.

Journeyman

Established Member
Therefore we end up with the horrific seats on IETs because the DfT went for the cheap option.

Uncomfortable seats are not a new thing at all. Take a look at the Southern Railway 2-HAL units of 1939 - they were absolutely brutal inside, with cramped, poorly cushioned seats and miserable, spartan compartments. Care to explain how that worked?

Meerkat

Established Member
7% fare rise - imagine the squealing now!!
Demonstrates the nationalisation problems - spending and wages based on Treasury plans, not on industry reality.
Why was it novel for guards to become drivers - wasn’t this allowed before?

Uncomfortable seats are not a new thing at all. Take a look at the Southern Railway 2-HAL units of 1939 - they were absolutely brutal inside, with cramped, poorly cushioned seats and miserable, spartan compartments. Care to explain how that worked?
I remember the slam door seats. Too bouncy, and every time you bounced a cloud of dust came out!

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

How do you then explain that same awful seat being found:
1. On TPE's CAF stock, the specification of which was done by TPE;
2. On TfW's Class 197s, the specification of which was done by the Welsh Government/TfW?

They are not, by the way, the cheap option, "ironing boards" are cheaper.

radamfi

Established Member
On the fares point, NS and SNCB still have cheap maximum fares despite being nationalised. DB and SBB still have the cheap national annual tickets and national 50% off cards. So just because a system is nationalised doesn't mean it has to be expensive.

Welly

I remember when KX was shut for engineering works over a Easter weekend a few years ago and ECML trains were terminating/starting at Finsbury Park station!

The inevitable queues and crowds brough media attention and the TV news crew did a vox pop of an old geezer screaming "Bring back BR!"

JonathanH

Veteran Member
On the fares point, NS and SNCB still have cheap maximum fares despite being nationalised. DB and SBB still have the cheap national annual tickets and national 50% off cards. So just because a system is nationalised doesn't mean it has to be expensive.
Who said it did? The point is more about how much the government is prepared to pay to meet the difference in costs between fare income and what is needed to run the railway and how much the operator has to pay to maintain the system. It isn't just a matter of the railway being nationalised.

Status
Not open for further replies.