• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

why do people moan so much

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Dont worry about it, its just idiots, with very little of a life, trying to get people to agree with them when they dont understand that the work is essential, if they doid the work during the day they would be the first toi complain of train cancellations etc. they need to get a life.

Lol, one of the comments is from beeching's alegded grandchild. SOme people really do need to get out more :D

caliwag

Er didn't see any moaning. I was impressed with the kit...the noise sounded like a piece of experimental music mind! Maybe Radio 3 could comission NR for composer of the week...marvellous. Please post more, I'll download, manipulate and add a beat. Who are the boring saddies that are complaining, beats R2?

HSTfan!!!

Established Member
ah you lot come past my office door most nights making noise with your tampers when I'm trying to sleep grrr lol

Sadsmileyface

Youtube said:
Many train spotters will take pleasure from this video but anyone who lives near a railway would argue that 3.40 in the morning is a little bit unsociable twice a month especially on a week day if you have children.

Absolutely. They should do it during the day. Just cancel all passenger services. You can drive your kids to school that day. I'm sure you could use one of your holiday days to take some time off work. Or they could just not do it, and have regular massive derailments (only during office hours, mind). After all, since you have kids, the world owes you something now.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
lol, the Preston-Blackburn line runs near my house (within hearing distance) and I never hear any maintainence at night, even though I can see it. Like I said, its night, or disrupt 1,000s more people by doiung it during the day

Lampshade

Established Member
lol, the Preston-Blackburn line runs near my house (within hearing distance) and I never hear any maintainence at night, even though I can see it. Like I said, its night, or disrupt 1,000s more people by doiung it during the day

This.

At uni last year I lived pretty close to the Hope Valley Line and this year within 2 minutes walking distance of the Styal Line and... nothing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Established Member
Fantastic. I bet the rail line was there before his house

The end of a bell comes to mind :lol:

Kernowfem

If i wanted peace and quiet, i simply wouldn't live THAT close to a railway line. However having said that my house backs onto the sheffield lincoln line and i simply dont notice the trains going past anymore.

Never heard them doing repairs at night either.....so i cant complain at all. With the repetative tone to the repair in the video it would have sent me back to sleep anyway!!

My mum and dad did have a caravan at the side of the GNER at carlton on trent a few years ago. Their caravan backed right onto the line. They did get woken a fair bit in the early hours of saturday and sunday mornings with the lads working, but my mum used to make herself a cuppa and listen to some of the lads chatting and some of the stuff she heard would give her a good giggle...:)

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
At Turton on the Blackburn-Bolton line there is an open level crossing (not barriered) so all trains must slow to 10mph, as two warning light thing warble very loudly to warn cars. They have just built two very nice houses about 20 yards from the crossing. Bearing in mind the last trains over it are about 2330 and the first about 0630, don't count on getting much sleep there! Like someone else has said, they will blame trains for it, not realising the line has been there 140 years before their house! :D

moonrakerz

"why do people moan so much"

Somebody moaning about somebody moaning ?? Can I think about this one for a while ? :lol::lol:

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
If you choose to buy a house next to a railway line, then you should expect to noise (and occasional night works). In my own experience, Network Rail actually provide their "neighbours" (as they refer to you in their letters) with advance notice of any night working that is likely to involve noise, heavy machinery and lighting. The truth is, I'm so used to noise from the trains, noise from the works rarely disturb me either.

Wyvern

Established Member
Having to do that much work on the line twice a month seems a bit much surely?

On the other hand twice a month seems most unlikely.

Darandio

Established Member
Could it have been pre planned for 4 weekends over 2 months and the video OP decided to dramatise it a bit? That would be my take on it, especially after the description he added.

Not nice, but what scenario would he rather have? Maintenance done or a large incident where a train enters his living room?

jon0844

Veteran Member
Go to Boots, buy some ear plugs and you'll be hard pushed to hear anything if you fit them properly*. Job done! If you were warned in advance, there's even less excuse.

I'm sure if you moaned enough, you may even get Network Rail to pay for them! They cost a few quid at most. I always have some in my travel bag as it can help you sleep in hotels, planes etc.

Why moan when there's something you can do to make it less of a problem.

* And, if I ever use them at home I can still hear my alarm although I do have to set it louder than normal.

Geezertronic

Established Member
Having lived with the WCML at the bottom of the garden and Birmingham Airport behind it, I don't see what the fuss is about :D

tempests1

i just found this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkaipJeyqYs

I Believe the guy is well out of line and has it in for the railways.

Why are people like that can't they see we are just doing our job. <(

The guy who put the video on You Tube does not have a clue about what he is talking about! I am sure that Balfour Beatty would not run a Tamper for the sake of it. When my company works in Possessions every last detail of the work is programmed. The other problem is the White Periods can be very short in certain busy locations due to the Intensive Train Service. For example when working at Guildford the Mid Week Night T3 Possessions in the weekly Operating Notice are from about 01:00 to 04:30 not much time to get alot done! We should pity the guy as he is very quick to give his Ignorant View which should be discounted due to his lack of knowledge of the subject matter!

networkrail1

I have just held the frustration that guys like this give me in for ages and just let it pass but this guy made me snap.

When i am on track, no matter what time of day or night, i am there to do a job, not to work slow ,tiptoe around and be as quiet as i can for the sake of people living nearby.
I mean how would he like it if i took a video of him at work and posted it on youtube, saying he was annoying me and shouldn't be doing what he is doing at this time of day (i haven't a clue what his job is that is if he works at all).

I am there on track to do my job ,that gives me the money to live on ,I'm not there to mess around and work round him.

Oops sorry rant over :oops:<D

Flamingo

Established Member
To quote an Australian I used to work with, some people would whinge if there arrse was on fire and you urinated on them to put it out.

mumrar

Established Member
I do love some of the Aussie wisdom in the world. They'll tell it like it is, not being offensive, but not bothering to dress it up either

Sun Chariot

Established Member
2 miles and 50 years away from the Longmoor Milita
I agree with sentiments here. I've had homes with gardens backing onto two main lines and a home under the Heathrow arrivals flight-path. In each case, my choice to live there, my responsibility to deal with it in a rational way.

I don't get up in arms when road-improvement works are scheduled at night to minimise traffic disruption; and I don't go off on one if an emergency services vehicle happens to need its siren on at night. Like NR and partners, they're simply trying to do their job.

AlexS

Established Member
99/100 I am fine with living next to the railway (I can hear the 1733 Codsall to Shrewsbury pulling out of the station as I type).

I can live with the night time maintenance, generally speaking. Don't even hear it generally.

It's when they get that stupid warning klaxon that is as loud as an air raid siren out when ballast trains are moving it annoys me.

It doesn't seem to be necessary when trains are shooting about at linespeed and people are working, they only whip it out at 3am when a ballast train moves 5 feet at 3 mph or something ridiculous like that (I was watching, having no hope of sleeping).

I can only remember it occurring on one occasion and us and our neighbours were about ready to go and invade the worksite and stick it up their arses. Every 10 minutes for 5 hours.

And before anyone says 'the railway was there before you' yes it was, but I can live with the horns from the nearby whistle board quite happily, the recently invented air raid siren for train movements during this work is not a bloody railway noise. It's the result of a **** and a risk assessment sheet.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
99/100 I am fine with living next to the railway (I can hear the 1733 Codsall to Shrewsbury pulling out of the station as I type).

I can live with the night time maintenance, generally speaking. Don't even hear it generally.

It's when they get that stupid warning klaxon that is as loud as an air raid siren out when ballast trains are moving it annoys me.

It doesn't seem to be necessary when trains are shooting about at linespeed and people are working, they only whip it out at 3am when a ballast train moves 5 feet at 3 mph or something ridiculous like that (I was watching, having no hope of sleeping).

I can only remember it occurring on one occasion and us and our neighbours were about ready to go and invade the worksite and stick it up their arses. Every 10 minutes for 5 hours.

And before anyone says 'the railway was there before you' yes it was, but I can live with the horns from the nearby whistle board quite happily, the recently invented air raid siren for train movements during this work is not a bloody railway noise. It's the result of a **** and a risk assessment sheet.

Yeah thats reasonble, could they not just sound horn once or twice that wouldnt be as bad ?

Status
Not open for further replies.