• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Why do train wheels screech/sequel so much nowadays

Status
Not open for further replies.

Western Sunset

Established Member
Listen to a train leave Euston and the wheels screech and squeal. Same at Kings Cross, Paddington, you name it.

Why?

I'm sure there weren't such high-pitched noises from wheelsets twenty years go. Just wondering why.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

edwin_m

Veteran Member
I think it's to do with modern bogies, which are stiffer in rotation to reduce the lateral oscillation or "hunting" that was a big problem in the 70s. As they are stiffer they are less able to align themselves on tight curves so the flanges are more likely to contact.

deltic08

On Moderation
Listen to a train leave Euston and the wheels screech and squeal. Same at Kings Cross, Paddington, you name it.

Why?

I'm sure there weren't such high-pitched noises from wheelsets twenty years go. Just wondering why.
Longer distance between wheelsets in a modern bogie. Pacers with effectively one long single bogie, were around 35 years ago and squealed but not at London termini naturally

coppercapped

Established Member
In the case of Paddington the trains accelerate more quickly than in days of yore...

(Squealing seems to me to be to be more prevalent on the lower number platforms which have tighter radius curves as well as above 12 where the line limit is only 25mph).

Status
Not open for further replies.