• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Why does this train wait so long at Melton Mowbray

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tomnick

Established Member
It's reasonably comfortably in front of the passenger (or at least it would be - I've never known it run), so it could be a pathing issue around Syston or Sileby, or (more likely) booked to wait until it can be dealt with Mountsorrel - down freights are regularly recessed at Oakham and/or Melton, booked or not, for that very reason.

Aictos

Established Member
I could say same about LM's via Northampton services to Birmingham, waited 15 mins yesterday there - does it really need that much timetable padding?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I could say same about LM's via Northampton services to Birmingham, waited 15 mins yesterday there - does it really need that much timetable padding?

It's probably to try and match up with an otherwise balanced number of trains per hour between Coventry and Birmingham isn't it? I guess if it got to Coventry 15 mins earlier it would find itself duplicating another service?

plastictaffy

Northampton is almost always a crew change location. There is an xx:16, an xx:25, and an xx:55. The xx:25 usually gets there a few minutes before the xx:16 leaves. Sometimes, tickets from Euston to New Street are booked with a change at NMP onto the xx:16. (usually cross platform) The xx:25 is also booked to sit at Coventry for 11 minutes on the down. I guess it's to provide three nicely spaced trains an hour between Coventry and Brum. I should think the other reason it's set up that way is to give some operational flexibility, too.

Last edited:

83G/84D

Established Member
Drivers of trains in Engineering possessions sit in the cab sometimes for hours doing nothing or very little.

tjlrailblue

Is the driver allowed to play on their phone or read a book once the train is stationary and due to stay this way for ages?

Scott M

Is the driver allowed to play on their phone or read a book once the train is stationary and due to stay this way for ages?

I would assume so. I always wondered why it's common to see newspapers in cabs, as I thought drivers wouldn't have time to read them. But now I know why.

Status
Not open for further replies.