• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Why no 21:30 to Swansea?

Status
Not open for further replies.

animationmilo

Hi,

I'm travelling on Sunday 26th June and want to be on 21:30 London Paddington to Swansea but its not showing up on any timetables, last one showing is 20:30 Swansea. Why? Its showing every other sunday but 26th june. Very annoying.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

VideozVideoz

There are engineering works going on in South Wales so it must have something to do with that... Although I cant find something that specifically affects the 21:30 from Paddington, this is my best guess

VideozVideoz

It must be missing from the database?? I cannot get it to show this train for the 26th June. I did however try Cardiff-Swansea and it showed the train. When I clicked on 'details' it said it was the Paddington service. I then tried a few previous stations (Reading, Swindon) but there nowt was doing!

Flamingo

Established Member
it's usually XX.37 on a Sunday, so if they have been moved to XX.30, there must be engineering works somewhere in the mix.

animationmilo

It must be missing from the database?? I cannot get it to show this train for the 26th June. I did however try Cardiff-Swansea and it showed the train. When I clicked on 'details' it said it was the Paddington service. I then tried a few previous stations (Reading, Swindon) but there nowt was doing!

I just tried that and it shows the 23:28 Cardiff to Swansea arrive at 00:23. thats the 20:30 train, but wheres 21:30

VideozVideoz

Sorry my mistake, yes it only shows 20:30 service.. you'll just have to leave Paddington 1 hour earlier! 01:30 is too late to be arriving in Swansea anyway...

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
There's nothing on the FGW website about the train not running. The weekly update on alterations due to engineering is silent on the matter.

Established Member
There's nothing on the FGW website about the train not running. The weekly update on alterations due to engineering is silent on the matter.
The 21.30 is shown as a planned cancellation on the magic box, all other South Wales trains running as WTT so no sign of engineering work unless it catches a late night possession. Very poor if no mention on the website, I'd suggest making a call to customer services.

animationmilo

The 21.30 is shown as a planned cancellation on the magic box, all other South Wales trains running as WTT so no sign of engineering work unless it catches a late night possession. Very poor if no mention on the website, I'd suggest making a call to customer services.

Whats the magic box?
It seems weird this.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
The magic box is a term used to refer to TRUST and other staff only systems.

Very odd there's no mention of it being a planned cancellation, worth checking with FGW directly to see what's going on. As for 0130 being too late to get into Swansea at, well I've arrived there after 0200 on many occasions! In all fairness, I usually head back out soon after though.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Yes, the OP should contact FGW directly about the 2130. It may be an ommission which they can rectify so that other intending travellers might not show up for a train that isn't running.

It's quite poor but these things are bound to happen every so often.

anthony263

Established Member
I have arrived into Swansea at 2am , gone for a quick walk about then back to the station to get the 03:30 service to London as it was cheaper to do this than to get a taxi to Bridgend station at 02:30

animationmilo

I have arrived into Swansea at 2am , gone for a quick walk about then back to the station to get the 03:30 service to London as it was cheaper to do this than to get a taxi to Bridgend station at 02:30

Me too, I do that sometimes:)

Its the end of the glastonbury festival on the 26th, perhaps FGW are using the set that would normally be the last Swansea service to run a special??

Techniquest

Veteran Member

Done much the same too often to remember. Arrive off the 2245 Paddington to Swansea, head back out on the 0400 Swansea to Paddington. Know the feeling with taxis, I once did the following on the way to Manchester:

Proper bus Fforestfach to Quadrant
Walk to Swansea High Street station
2340 Swansea to Fishguard (or whatever time it left back then)
0150 Fishguard to Swansea
0400 Swansea to Bristol Parkway
Voyagers up to Birmingham then Manchester

Just to avoid a taxi fare at daft o'clock in the morning to get the 0400!

Status
Not open for further replies.