• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Wigan-Bolton electrification. Construction updates only please

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

snowball

Established Member
WatcherZero has posted this on skyscrapercity:

A/24/96990/LB
Planning application for jacking up the 40m long wrought iron Deep Pit footbridge near Hindley by 1m as well as installing panelling on the sides to cover the gaps, this bridge when originally built in 1882 spanned four running lines and four sidings at Hindley Station which served the coal pit and was in open countryside though now the surrounding banks are heavily forested.

Network Rail had originally proposed in March 2023 replacing the cobbled 4m high earthen bank approach ramp and iron descent ramp with a 5m flight of steps on both sides which the council opposed going so far as to get the bridge Grade 2 listed in September to protect its heritage and accessibility as a public footpath. The revised proposal from Network Rail has new wheelchair accessible steel landing ramps painted red to match the bridge on either side with an optional 12 steps from the end of a cobbled path on one side.

Springs Branch

Established Member
Wigan Council's website for advance notification of roadworks now includes replacing the Ince Green Lane overbridge at Ince station under its Major Schemes section. The road closure at the bridge will start Monday 22nd April for 31 weeks (= end of November 2024)

Major Schemes

Ince Green Lane, Ince in Makerfield
- Network Rail will be undertaking works to electrify the railway which includes the demolotion and rebuilding of the existing railway bridge. The works will include the use of a road closure and will commence on 22nd April 2024 for a period of 31 weeks.

We are encouraging all residents, businesses, and organisations to sign up to get the most up to date information about the works. If you are interested in receiving future updates via email, you can sign up online (external link). For any additional questions or concerns, you can visit living by the railway (external link) or telephone the 24-Hour National Helpline on 03457 11 41 41

This is the most public communication I've seen for this specific bridge, beyond listings of NR's planning applications on planning portals, and mention of 'local consultations' on the road closure on social media.

However, it's purely from a road users' perspective. I haven't seen anything yet from the 'railway' side - i.e. planned impact on users of Ince station - apart from a subtle clue about elimination of all stops at Ince from 22 April in Northern's online (& printed?) timetable pdf dated December 2023, as mentioned in post #501.

Journey planners still show all current stops by trains at Ince continuing beyond 22 April and into May, and Northern's website make no mention of temporary closure at Ince on its June 2024 Timetable Changes page.

TfGM's website is similarly quiet about any arrangements for diverting or curtailing the hourly Bee Network 630 bus which normally passes over the Ince Green Lane bridge.

[EDIT] Note for non-locals: The one-and-only access point to Ince station is more or less on the road bridge which is to be demolished. This is why the bridge closure also means station closure.

Last edited:

pokemonsuper9

Established Member
Some of the overhead parts have gone in (at the Wigan end).
There's some scaffolding over the tracks by Ince, looks like the temporary bridge has stated construction.

Pillars for the OLE are in the ground most of the distance between Wigan and Hindley.

Fences have shown up on the platform extensions at Hindley

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
Some of the overhead parts have gone in (at the Wigan end).
There's some scaffolding over the tracks by Ince, looks like the temporary bridge has stated construction.

Pillars for the OLE are in the ground most of the distance between Wigan and Hindley.

Fences have shown up on the platform extensions at Hindley
WOW- definite progress

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
That footage raises the question: how much of an off-route over-run will be provided on the Wallgate route after Wigan Station Junction?
I was thinking exactly the same myself. However, isn’t there very awkward infrastructure close by that needs major intervention such that only a short wire run could be provided.

Shaw S Hunter

Established Member
I was thinking exactly the same myself. However, isn’t there very awkward infrastructure close by that needs major intervention such that only a short wire run could be provided.
The issue to which you refer is the road overbridge carrying Wallgate itself upon which are built both the station building and some shops opposite and which has been relying for some years now on jacks to stop it collapsing as a result of cracks in the arches. The arches are in any case rather low for OHLE and their apparent fragility is going to make any form of OHLE difficult, perhaps even impossible, to install. I don't know what the standard length is for electrification over-runs but I wonder if it might exceed the length available.

Shaw S Hunter

Established Member
Surely the Wallgate situation is not impossible just ridiculously outrageously expensive?
True. But if anything even more true given current financial strictures. It remains to be seen if this relatively small electrification scheme will deliver the value for money that HMT wants.

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
True. But if anything even more true given current financial strictures. It remains to be seen if this relatively small electrification scheme will deliver the value for money that HMT wants.
Without getting too much into speculative mode, I feel the BCR will only be reasonable on that scheme is if it went through to Southport along with Crow Nest via Atherton to Salford Crescent.

59CosG95

Established Member
The issue to which you refer is the road overbridge carrying Wallgate itself upon which are built both the station building and some shops opposite and which has been relying for some years now on jacks to stop it collapsing as a result of cracks in the arches. The arches are in any case rather low for OHLE and their apparent fragility is going to make any form of OHLE difficult, perhaps even impossible, to install. I don't know what the standard length is for electrification over-runs but I wonder if it might exceed the length available.
I do wonder when/if the point will be reached where it becomes more viable to simply rebuild rather than having a complex network of props.

But also - how the hell do you keep the station open during such an extensive rebuild?

zwk500

Veteran Member
Surely the Wallgate situation is not impossible just ridiculously outrageously expensive?
The two are near as makes no difference the same.

I do wonder when/if the point will be reached where it becomes more viable to simply rebuild rather than having a complex network of props.
At some point it will because the shifting arches will be damaging services and foundations of the buildings above.
But also - how the hell do you keep the station open during such an extensive rebuild?
Its possible bit expensive to demolishing the buildings carefully without closing the line (e..g with crash decks) to get the bridge to a point that you can replace it in a blockade, however it may be preferred to install a temporary entrance across 1 platform to avoid the station building, terminate everything from the west in the two remaining platforms (may require new crossovers) and terminate everything from the East at North Western.

Last edited:

themiller

It looks like it’s possible for a train to access Wigan North Western from electrified lines now. How much over-run is provided at the moment?

scrapy

Established Member
What's the line speed? Can't be more than 40? Surely a low line speed would only need a proportionately short overrun?

Shaw S Hunter

Established Member
What's the line speed? Can't be more than 40? Surely a low line speed would only need a proportionately short overrun?
Line speed for all diverging routes at Wigan Station Junction is 15 mph. On the Hindley route line speed is 20 between Wallgate station and the junction, rising then to 40: these apply in both directions. As such some sort of overrun on the Down line will surely be needed, the question being whether the distance between the junction and the Wallgate overbridge is sufficient to meet standards. Failing that I suppose some sort of signalling arrangement might be possible as alternative mitigation though I'm not aware of such a measure existing anywhere.

zwk500

Veteran Member
Line speed for all diverging routes at Wigan Station Junction is 15 mph. On the Hindley route line speed is 20 between Wallgate station and the junction, rising then to 40: these apply in both directions. As such some sort of overrun on the Down line will surely be needed, the question being whether the distance between the junction and the Wallgate overbridge is sufficient to meet standards. Failing that I suppose some sort of signalling arrangement might be possible as alternative mitigation though I'm not aware of such a measure existing anywhere.
Given Wallgate isn't being electrified as part of this, I presume bi-modes are the plan for services towards Southport and Headbolt Lane? Therefore there'll be no need to provide runouts to prevent stranding, as the train can just fire up the onboard power. If the plan is for EMUs to terminate at Wigan NW then it might need runouts if there's considered insufficient warning of the route indication to stop and challenge.

Shaw S Hunter

Established Member
Given Wallgate isn't being electrified as part of this, I presume bi-modes are the plan for services towards Southport and Headbolt Lane? Therefore there'll be no need to provide runouts to prevent stranding, as the train can just fire up the onboard power. If the plan is for EMUs to terminate at Wigan NW then it might need runouts if there's considered insufficient warning of the route indication to stop and challenge.
That's the whole point of this sub-thread, the current scheme is based on trains from the Manchester direction terminating at North Western. As for potential bi-modes using the wires before heading to points west of Wigan that is just speculative at the moment.

Foggycorner

the whole point for a run out is that the pan dosen't suddenly spring up and get entangled with the other wires
bimodes already run through Wallgate on southport stalybridge/oxford rd workings changing to electric at Bolton

Shaw S Hunter

Established Member
the whole point for a run out is that the pan dosen't suddenly spring up and get entangled with the other wires
bimodes already run through Wallgate on southport stalybridge/oxford rd workings changing to electric at Bolton
Unsecured pantographs striking overbridges is a more common risk and is very much the issue under discussion with regards to Wallgate. And the current bi-modes, as in 769s, are not likely to see too many more years before withdrawal. As such it's unlikely that bi-modes to Southport will be a long-term operation. At least the Westhoughton wiring will allow pure electric operation to reach all the way to Wigan, which is something of a natural termination point, but Southport services will eventually return to pure diesel operation and all go via Atherton.

HurdyGurdy

Its possible bit expensive to demolishing the buildings carefully without closing the line (e..g with crash decks) to get the bridge to a point that you can replace it in a blockade, however it may be preferred to install a temporary entrance across 1 platform to avoid the station building, terminate everything from the west in the two remaining platforms (may require new crossovers) and terminate everything from the East at North Western.

Don't forget that Wallgate as a main thoroughfare will be full of all kinds of services (telecoms, gas, etc) which will have to be diverted somehow. In schemes I've been involved with the cost and time taken to get the services out of the way and then reinsted over the new structure has been eye-watering.

A further complication is that the street level station building is Grade II listed. I guess the front canopy can be removed for safe keeping and then reininstated, but the building itself would need reconstruction.