• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Wigan to Urmston Permitted Routes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mathew S

Established Member
I think I've worked out the answer to this, but would appreciate some second opinions...

Is a Wigan - Urmston Return (either Off-Peak or Anytime) valid via Warrington?

Thanks in advance

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Yes as that’s the shortest route, assuming you’re happy to walk between Warrington Central and Bank Quay.

National Rail doesn’t show the route as valid for some reason, which isn’t very surprising, as it isn’t a very good website.

Mathew S

Established Member
Yes as that’s the shortest route, assuming you’re happy to walk between Warrington Central and Bank Quay.

National Rail doesn’t show the route as valid for some reason, which isn’t very surprising, as it isn’t a very good website.
Thanks @Merseysider. That was my view also, but it's not for me so I thought best to ask a second opinion as I wasn't certain.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Almost! The shortest route by rail is 22.66 miles (via Hag Fold & Deansgate).

The route via Warrington Stations, which requires a walk, is 0.3 miles shorter than the shortest route, and is therefore a permitted route.
This is because some time ago, the routeing on the ticket was changed from "Any Permitted" to "Metrolink Ctlz"; the intention being to provide additional validity on the Metrolink for passengers changing between Manchester Stations.

There is no compulsion to use the Metrolink, but ticket booking sites treat this as a "via Manchester Stations" restriction, which is denying the route via Warrington being validated as a permitted route.

Similar problems occur with, for example, Manchester Stns to Watford Jn route: "+via London"; booking engines cannot offer an itinerary on this fare unless you travel via London Terminals, despite the ticket clearly being valid on the direct route via Rugby without any requirement to double-back.

kieron

Established Member

Do you have any recommendations for a web site which shows this ticket as being valid on this route?

Mathew S

Established Member
Do you have any recommendations for a web site which shows this ticket as being valid on this route?
I certainly haven't managed to get a journey planner to split it out, but that doesn't mean it's not valid for the reasons already explained (the shortest route and any route < 3 miles longer is always permitted unless an easement states otherwise).

Status
Not open for further replies.