• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Wilko's goes into Administration

Dai Corner

Established Member
Someone also made quite a good point that the town centre stores generally knock off at 5 - 5:30pm compared to retail parks at 8pm - 10pm, so the only busy period will be the weekend trading when most people aren't at work!
They might have had some lunchtime or after work trade from office workers but they're working from home now.

I suspect the unemployed, pensioners without cars and bored teenagers in the school holidays are now Wilko's (and other high street retailers) main customers.

If one was starting from scratch, would one target them or the wealthier car owners?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

skyhigh

Established Member
The impending closure of the Trafford Centre in Manchester is symptomatic of the general trend.
There was an April Fool 'news' article that it was closing. It absolutely, definitely, 100% is not closing any time soon.

tomuk

Established Member
Yes but unfortunately not enough to remain viable and in this "capitalist paradise" and no one (in power or wider society indeed) cares about those who falls through the gaps.
So we should nationalise Wilko to act as some sort of hardware store of last resort for those who can't access any other store or online outlet?

duncanp

Established Member
I can't see any confirmation of that in online sources, are you able to elaborate?

For what it's worth, I happened to be in the Westfield centres at Stratford and Shepherds Bush early last week, and while I did see some empty units in the latter, both seemed to be pretty busy for early in the week.

My source was a news website, but rather embarrasingly for me I forgot to check the date which was, er, April 1st this year.:oops::oops:

However it is true that many shopping malls in the UK have seen closures of big name stores, most notably the Grand Central development above Birmingham New Street station which saw John Lewis close, using COVID as an excuse.

When a big name anchor tenant leaves a shopping mall or high street, it can affect trade in other stores in the same location. (eg. people may come to the location to go to John Lewis, but may then buy something else from a neighbouring store and then visit a coffee shop, restaurant and pub.

cjmillsnun

Established Member
Big advantage Wilkos has in my city is that it is in the city centre, where as B & m, Home Bargains and B & Q, along with the super markets are in out of town retail parks. Looking round Wilkos it tends to be mainly older folk who travel into town using their free bus passes, buying one or two items. I’m not sure how much that is similar to other cities, but it’s a shame for those who rely on the buses that Wilkos may be closing, as it’s the only store of the type in my city centre. Not sure where mild Dorris will get her cleaning products if it shuts down.
Being town/city centre is proving a disadvantage for Wilko. Sky high rents and business rate and falling footfall.

birchesgreen

Established Member
So we should nationalise Wilko to act as some sort of hardware store of last resort for those who can't access any other store or online outlet?
That would be a strange move, i don't know what the answer is but the way this country now works doesn't work for everyone anymore (if it ever did of course).

Anyway our Wilko, which was at an open air shopping mall with loads of free parking, closed last year and will be replaced by a big B&M.

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
In my nearest town (Longton, Stoke-on-Trent) Wilkinsons and Home Bargains are adjacent (both in the old bus station as it happens) and B & M is next door. There are few things that Wilkinsons sell that cannot be obtained from one of the other discounters. B & M seems to be in big growth mode so the problem must lay with Wilkinsons rather than the 'discount retailer' model.

One query about Wilkinsons is - well before Covid Wilkinsons seemed to become expensive compared with the other discounters. Did Wilkinsons raise their prices or did the other discounters arrive with even keener prices?

I remember Woolworths when, if you bought a battery (and/or possibly light bulbs) they brought out a circuit on a board to test them!

Edsmith

My nearest Wilko is in Maidstone, last time I went in there they didn't have several of the things I wanted so I went elsewhere and I haven't been back since and I guess many people are the same? Home Bargains and B&M seem to be doing much better with out of town stores with free parking and lower overheads.

Strathclyder

Established Member
Not sure who would take over the current Wilko unit (a former Woolworth's store as it happens) in Clydebank Shopping Centre should that be put on the chopping block, as there is a fairly large B&M store right across from it and a Home Bargains a minute's walk away in the same part of the centre. Tangentially, there was a Farmfoods across from it on the right side as you exit the store at one time - seperated by the escalators leading up to the Kilbowie Road entrance, a open-plan Subway and a Greggs - but that closed a while back and is now a furniture store.

The only major purchase I've made there this year were 3 large clear-view plastic storage boxes back in late March as part of a long overdue room clean-up/clearout I did; neither B&M or Home Bargains had the size of box I needed. Regardless of any stock supply issues they've been having, it would be a shame to lose them and I really do feel for the staff caught up in all this.

Andyh82

Established Member
It’ll be a shame if they go. In my small town it’s still the most convenient place to go if you need a basic household essential.

It’s also convenient to pop into Wilkos in the larger city where I work on my lunch hour.

Neither involves driving elsewhere to an out of town retail park that will presumably be the future next time a light bulb goes unexpectedly

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
In another thread it was posted the reason for the empty shelves was probably because their suppliers had cut their credit terms:

Peter Sarf

Established Member
Indeed. I think most highstreets are dead and any that are clinging on are on borrowed time. Councils seem hell bent on making it ever harder and more expensive for cars to travel to towns and highstreets. The American model of having big box stores situated together out of towns seems to be the way it is all heading.
This is happening just as the UK wakes up to the idea that use of the motor car is to be discouraged. Evidence is the spread of ULEZ in London. So perhaps soon town centre shopping might actually be needed more than the out-of-town car culture centres we have grown dependant on. Pity the planners don't plan ahead.
My source was a news website, but rather embarrasingly for me I forgot to check the date which was, er, April 1st this year.:oops::oops:

However it is true that many shopping malls in the UK have seen closures of big name stores, most notably the Grand Central development above Birmingham New Street station which saw John Lewis close, using COVID as an excuse.

When a big name anchor tenant leaves a shopping mall or high street, it can affect trade in other stores in the same location. (eg. people may come to the location to go to John Lewis, but may then buy something else from a neighbouring store and then visit a coffee shop, restaurant and pub.
The main shopping centre in Croydon - the Whitgift centre is an example. Staff at "Card Factory" and "The Works" have been told their stores will close if the Marks and Spencers closes. The only Anchor store in Croydon is M&S and I suppose Boots - Sainsburys closing in October.
Being town/city centre is proving a disadvantage for Wilko. Sky high rents and business rate and falling footfall.
This (high rents) seems to be a general problem with Croydon town centre.

Pete_uk

Established Member
My Wilco's in Stroud is the largest shop in the now revamped 5 Valleys Centre.
I don't think it's closure will be a big loss but a Primark or a B&M would be a big plus. Since Peacocks closed down you can't get some cheap socks and boxers!

With expensive town centre car parking and two DIY stores just outside town with free parking my local Wilco no doubt finds it difficult to attract custom.

cjmillsnun

Established Member
It’s a countrywide issue. Many many towns see boarded up high street shops because the rents which have always been high now are unacceptably so because of the competition from out of town retail parks and online retailers such as Amazon.

Thirteen

This is happening just as the UK wakes up to the idea that use of the motor car is to be discouraged. Evidence is the spread of ULEZ in London. So perhaps soon town centre shopping might actually be needed more than the out-of-town car culture centres we have grown dependant on. Pity the planners don't plan ahead.

The main shopping centre in Croydon - the Whitgift centre is an example. Staff at "Card Factory" and "The Works" have been told their stores will close if the Marks and Spencers closes. The only Anchor store in Croydon is M&S and I suppose Boots - Sainsburys closing in October.

It doesn't help that the Westfield Hammerson project was abandoned a few years ago. Something like that would revitalise Croydon.

westv

Established Member
What cars are excluded from the ULEZ? Purely out of curiosity I checked my wive's 15 year old Corsa and that would be allowed in without charge

Peter Sarf

Established Member
It doesn't help that the Westfield Hammerson project was abandoned a few years ago. Something like that would revitalise Croydon.
Westfield is back on again (I think this is the third time). I wish it would die properly and go away. Unlike the other Westfields this one is obliterating an existing shopping centre called Whitgift - the main one that was perfectly good. Also Westfield is not really bread and butter shopping - it is for a luxury day out. It might bring in shoppers from outside Croydon and it might provide employment but it does not provide the sort of day-to-day shopping the residents of Croydon require.

A smaller and older shopping centre "St Georges Walk" has had planning blight hanging over it since last century. Half was demolished about ten years ago and nothing has replaced it. The other half has about 50% occupancy except many of those outlets seem to never open.
What cars are excluded from the ULEZ? Purely out of curiosity I checked my wive's 15 year old Corsa and that would be allowed in without charge
ULEZ will be one of many measures introduced to reduce car usage. Car usage has to drop one way or another. The cameras are there and can be used for other things.

It is very strange that Croydon never got a Wilkos in the past considering there is only a Poundstretcher to compete with in such a large catchment area.

westv

Established Member
ULEZ will be one of many measures introduced to reduce car usage. Car usage has to drop one way or another. The cameras are there and can be used for other things.
Ok. But that doesn't really answer the question I asked. :)

Peter Sarf

Established Member
Off topic but it is older cars that are charged. From before around 2005 maybe earlier for some petrol models but a Diesel is a harsher limit. It costs a minority of car drivers to continue using their cars (currently £12.50 per day) but of course once they are mainly gone then the goalposts might well be moved so as to still raise money.

I would rather see use of town centres encouraged by making them viable - something that arguably would have benefited Wilkos among other chains.

For more on ULEZ there is this thread.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Went into Wilkinsons yesterday; despite posters in the windows advertising an administration sale I couldn’t see any reductions; all prices looked normal. I ended up stocking up on quite a few things you simply either cannot get anywhere else, or that you can’t get for a reasonable price anywhere else.

Silver Cobra

The Wilko's in Biggleswade is one of the outliers, in that it is located at the A1 retail park to the south of the town rather than the town centre, and also does not have any direct competition with B&M or Home Bargains as their nearest stores are in Bedford, Hitchin and Letchworth. I have to admit I didn't shop there too often, but the times I had it seemed they were doing reasonable trade and didn't suffer too badly from empty gaps on the shelves (they had some but not many).

DelW

Established Member
Roughly speaking, petrols newer than about 2006 are okay, diesels need to be newer than about 2015 or so to avoid the charge. Individual brands and models vary though.

Thirteen

Westfield is back on again (I think this is the third time). I wish it would die properly and go away. Unlike the other Westfields this one is obliterating an existing shopping centre called Whitgift - the main one that was perfectly good. Also Westfield is not really bread and butter shopping - it is for a luxury day out. It might bring in shoppers from outside Croydon and it might provide employment but it does not provide the sort of day-to-day shopping the residents of Croydon require.

A smaller and older shopping centre "St Georges Walk" has had planning blight hanging over it since last century. Half was demolished about ten years ago and nothing has replaced it. The other half has about 50% occupancy except many of those outlets seem to never open.

It is very strange that Croydon never got a Wilkos in the past considering there is only a Poundstretcher to compete with in such a large catchment area.
Isn't the Westfield development replacing both Centrale and Whitgift?

westv

Established Member
Roughly speaking, petrols newer than about 2006 are okay, diesels need to be newer than about 2015 or so to avoid the charge. Individual brands and models vary though.
So petrol cars that next year will be more than 18 years old and diesel more than 9 years old.
The way people were going on about it you'd think everybody needed to buy a newer car to avoid it.

DelW

Established Member
So petrol cars that next year will be more than 18 years old and diesel more than 9 years old.
The way people were going on about it you'd think everybody needed to buy a newer car to avoid it.
IIRC when it was originally proposed, it wasn't very contentious, but some newspapers and politicians have hyped it up for their own purposes. The group that are most affected are small traders running older diesel vans. Probably not many of those are used to drive to shopping centres or town centre Wilkos though.

Peter Sarf

Established Member
Isn't the Westfield development replacing both Centrale and Whitgift?
Centrale is quite small (but still not full of shops). Both Centrale and Whitgift are owned by the developers Hammerson (or is it Hammersfoot ?) so they are in control of most of Croydons retail outlets - a bit ominous. Plenty of space for a Wilko but now to late !.
IIRC when it was originally proposed, it wasn't very contentious, but some newspapers and politicians have hyped it up for their own purposes. The group that are most affected are small traders running older diesel vans. Probably not many of those are used to drive to shopping centres or town centre Wilkos though.
I would add to that people like carers who have quite ridiculous/tenuous itineraries. Many of those that will have to consider the ULEZ charge live outside London and so will never be eligible for the scrappage scheme. It is going to financially hit people who are not high earners the hardest. I was talking to my garage yesterday (well the people in it !) and they have said they have customers who are giving up car ownership. One is a care worker who has decided to retire early, a handyman who is changing jobs so avoiding the need to be mobile while others are hoping to just not travel.

For me I have often considered giving up my car and hire for when I need one but on balance I use it too much. Nowadays I really need to use a car more as the missus does not have the range to get to the out of town shops. Also the high streets of Bromley and Sutton are more attractive than Croydon both having a Wilko (for now) amongst other shops. I have gone without a car quite often over the last 35 years but it is a struggle wit hindsight - and more so nowadays. I always end up being glad I have access to a car when I have one again.

Thirteen

Centrale is quite small (but still not full of shops). Both Centrale and Whitgift are owned by the developers Hammerson (or is it Hammersfoot ?) so they are in control of most of Croydons retail outlets - a bit ominous. Plenty of space for a Wilko but now to late !.
I've read that the eventual shopping centre will be more akin to Les Ateliers Gaîté in Paris than either the two Westfields and looking at how LAG looks in pictures, it's not a bad idea.

I assume URW would invest in any transport redevelopment to Croydon for the new shopping centre so perhaps a deal could be done to have new trams or perhaps a new tram stop.