• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Wimbledon -- Platform 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr_Paul

Established Member
I don't think this has been raised elsewhere here (I couldn't see anything via a search), does anyone have any information about the building work at Wimbledon's platform 10, the tram platform? The tram service is stopping short and the platform is fenced off so it's very difficult to work out what work is being done. Presumably the work will enable more than one tram to serve the station at one time, but how is this going to be done?

The mainline bay on platform 10 has been closed; are there any intentions to rebuild platforms 9 and 10, perhaps using some of the space that would be available to the east of the station were the disused sidings to be removed and the line round from Haydon's Road slewed across, thus perhaps giving more room for both trams and Thameslink/Southern services in the station.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Domh245

Established Member
The new platform 10 (&11?) will be staggered, much like platforms 1&2 at Clapham Junction, and it will allow an extra 4 trams per hour on the Wimbledon Branch. There will still be a single track section underneath the car park and station, before then splitting out into 2 tracks, 1 roughly where 10 was (moved back a bit to accommodate the junction) and then 1 level with the pumpkin stall.

Domh245

Established Member
I've noticed some olhe masts have sprung up right at the London end of the platforms. I can only hope that they don't intend on putting the platforms at that end, unless they also build a second footbridge down at that end.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
I've noticed some olhe masts have sprung up right at the London end of the platforms. I can only hope that they don't intend on putting the platforms at that end, unless they also build a second footbridge down at that end.

I too was wondering what was happening with platform 10 at Wimbledon.

There are plans, mentioned elsewhere in this forum, to build a second foot bridge at the London end of Wimbledon station which should ease congestion in the rush hour when connecting from the District line to SWT, Thameslink/Southern & the Trams. Not sure what the timescale for that is though, shame it was not done when the other renovations were being done a year or so ago.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I happened to be travelling on SWT through Wimbledon Station yesterday morning and saw a tram stopped under the bridge. I suppose that although for passengers the trams start and end at Dundonald Road, the trams themselves have to come into almost Wimbledon Station to Change tracks for the return journey ?

Last edited:

jopsuk

Veteran Member

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
I've noticed some olhe masts have sprung up right at the London end of the platforms. I can only hope that they don't intend on putting the platforms at that end.

As I understand it they are - the platform will hold two trams in a split format similar to the Overground platform at Clapham Jct.

Domh245

Established Member
I'd seen that, but I was under the impression that the platforms would be much nearer the current overbridge!

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Just a thought about the length of OHLE, could they extend the second platform further along and allow for more than one tram to be berthed there, perhaps for stabling between the peaks or something like that?

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
I don't think so - wouldn't two Stadlers pretty much occupy the full length of the platform as it is, given that one track has to bypass the other if they are to achieve their higher service frequency that is the whole point of this rebuilding?

Farningham

Just a thought about the length of OHLE, could they extend the second platform further along and allow for more than one tram to be berthed there, perhaps for stabling between the peaks or something like that?

That is exactly what has happened - the line now extends well past the end of the second platform allowing the berthing of at least one, possibly two, extra trams in addition to the regular terminating service.
The new arrangement opened for public service Monday 2nd November.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
I used the re-opened platform today; even on a Sunday the frequency has been improved as a result of the extra loops / double tracking with just one part of the platform actually in use.

Incidentally, two of the four new trams - 2561 and 2562 - were parked outside at Therapia Lane. no sign of 2560 or 2563 though they could have been inside if they've been delivered yet.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
is that another wrapping paper design, similar to the 378 extra cars? LT Museum are missing a trick by not selling these wrapping papers.

Status
Not open for further replies.