• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Window destination stickers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheshire Scot

Established Member
A few reminders of a mis-spent youth. Most (though I confess not all) of the paper ones were removed after the last stop. The continental one, which was of course designed for re-use, disappeared into my bag at the point at which the last ever run became officially set down only.View attachment 117338
I have a few of these, some examples.

All the paper ones are long since binned.

Attachments

• IMG_3702.JPG
    IMG_3702.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 75
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

BeijingDave

With regards to labels yes the Night Riv still uses them, but also the LNER 91s to London Kings Cross !!, never seen the down road versions though.

With regards to the OP yes there was a llandudno label, As I recall starting from Derby
afixed to none other thn a pacer

Voila

Thanks for sharing. That is actually a Holyhead rather than Llandudno label if you look closely, but it's all interesting.

Most of mine were common WCML and trans-pennine services, but the unusual two I remember swiping were one for 'The Clansman' and a strange Llandudno-Holyhead one (as memory serves): Llandudno-Deganwy-Llandudno Junction-Conwy-(stations to)Holyhead.

There have been several terminating at llandudno

With examples being Crewe, Newcastle, York and even London Paddington and a Cardiff Central (The Marches Line) from the BR era in my collection
And Birmingham New Street in the Inter City era

Undoubtly there are others though

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I used to rip these off the windows when I was a kid in the 80s/early 90s. When a train had reached its destination of course, not before.

I wish I'd kept some of them, and would love to see people's examples, if anyone has any photos.

The most unusual one I remember having was a Llandudno - Holyhead one, which doubled back at Llandudno Junction of course. Am I imagining that this could have been loco-hauled or would I have got it off a DMU?

Thread reopened for the benefit of @Ashley Hill

Ashley Hill

Established Member
Whilst having a rummage around some old boxes in the attic I came across this window sticker. Now it’s been nearly 40 years since I “acquired” it and have no idea which service it came from,does anyone have any idea?
I see @The exile you have a similar one in your collection,would you know?5AE44960-8C2F-4143-900C-2A9DBB126669.jpeg

AIUI these were used on the boat trains out of Liverpool Street to coincide with the ferries to Holland

There were 4 in this style;

Admiral de Ruyter: Liverpool Street to Harwich Parkeston Quay Ref NT375
Harwich Parkeston Quay to Liverpool Street Ref NT376

Benjamin Britten : Liverpool Street to Harwich Parkeston Quay Ref NT374
Harwich Parkeston Quay to Liverpool Street Ref NT373

Latterly they were recoded NT 1 - 4

The Benjamin Britten had the Violin as the Logo, The Admiral de Ruyter had the tall ship as a logo

The Benjamin Britten had the Euro code as 62 the Admiral de Ruyter had 66

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Whilst having a rummage around some old boxes in the attic I came across this window sticker. Now it’s been nearly 40 years since I “acquired” it and have no idea which service it came from,does anyone have any idea?
I see @The exile you have a similar one in your collection,would you know?View attachment 138748
Wasn't it a BR London Liverpool Street to Harwich boat train, which via ferry and corresponding NS service offered a through London to Amsterdam itinerary?

Edit: I see @berwicksfinest has explained the services above

Halwynd

I see @The exile you have a similar one in your collection,would you know?View attachment 138748

It was a Liverpool Street - Harwich Parkeston Quay service which connected with an evening sailing to the Hook of Holland. The service (but obviously not the same train) then continued to Amsterdam under EuroCity branding and status. The return service was the following morning.

There was another service serving a different sailing named The Admiraal De Ruyter.

Both trains ran from May 1987 but only lasted a couple of years.

The exile

Established Member
And I came too late to the party! The one thing I can add is that, IIRC those trains were part of the launch of the “brave new world “ of Eurocity services - in the days when we wanted to be part of Europe!

Status
Not open for further replies.