• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Windows 10 auto update?

Status
Not open for further replies.

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
Hello all,

Just wondering as this has happened only a few times before, if a windows update is due, does it automatically do it by itself if you don't tell it to?

Only reason I ask is I noticed it was asking for an update yesterday but as I was going to bed I decided to just shut down and do it another time. So today I came home, and knowing I had a video to process on Sony Vegas which would take an hour or two, I decided to process that and leave it to it, coming back later when I think it's done.

So I come back to find it's restarted itself, done the updates, go through the usual you need Windows 11, one drive etc etc, and find my video is corrupt so it hasn't actually processed it, presumably because windows decided to restart by itself.

I've had this before leaving the PC on for a bit and come back to find whatever windows I had open and tabs on Chrome have gone because it's decided to update and restart without me asking to, is this some sort of auto feature, is it possible to turn it off?

Any help appreciated!

James

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

dakta

If you leave it long enough with a pending update, unless suitable modified yes it does...

It's a bit of a bone of contention because particularly where security is concerned, having updates is vital and can mitigate very real risks - but - when you're doing a heavy render taking several days of processing it is annoying when you check on state of things to find you're at the login window....

It's got a bit much now.

BluePenguin

On Moderation
If you were going to bed, there would have been no harm in simply allowing it to do the updates and then shut down. There is even an option for this on the start menu.

Sadly, if you keep delaying the updates, eventually you will no longer be able to postpone them any longer. This clearly happened to you unfortunately. In the future do the update as soon as you can, not when is convenient.

Last edited:

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
Ah thank you, I shall do that, I didn't know it would just do it anyway even if there was something going on in the background, thank you for the reply :D

Status
Not open for further replies.