• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Windows PC question - preventing users from exiting software

Status
Not open for further replies.

ABB125

Established Member
I have a bit of a niche question that I haven't been able to find an answer for.

Suppose I have a Windows laptop. This is used to control some external equipment. To do this, some software needs to be running on the laptop. Is it possible to set it up so that I can leave the software running (so that random people can come along and do things to the external equipment) but prevent literally anything else from being done without entering a password (eg: closing the software, minimising it, starting some other software etc)? The aim being that I can set up the laptop, leave it for several hours whilst people use the software (but aren't able to do stupid things that'll cause problems), then come back to shut it down.

Hopefully this makes sense! Does anyone have any ideas?
Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SargeNpton

Established Member
How about if you set up a subsidiary user profile, with non admin-rights? With that program for the external equipment being the only application that the profile has access to?

Everybody else then has the log-in details for that profile but not for the main profiel that you log-in on.

You would need to set up the permissions correctly to prevent users of that second profiels could not access File Explorer, etc, nor to allow them to shut down the laptop.

I have seen this on a Windows server, so not sure whether it can be replicated on a normal Windows PC.

Geezertronic

Established Member
Some training centres have configurations like this so people who want to take tests online cannot exit, manipulate the program, or launch other programs without the system generating a visible alert resulting in the test application shutting down (and therefore failing the test you are taking). Also companies like Virus Scanning companies have a system whereby the service cannot be stopped, uninstalled, etc... without an "administrator-level" password. I've no idea how it is done, but it is possible

ABB125

Established Member
How about if you set up a subsidiary user profile, with non admin-rights? With that program for the external equipment being the only application that the profile has access to?

Everybody else then has the log-in details for that profile but not for the main profiel that you log-in on.

You would need to set up the permissions correctly to prevent users of that second profiels could not access File Explorer, etc, nor to allow them to shut down the laptop.

I have seen this on a Windows server, so not sure whether it can be replicated on a normal Windows PC.

Something like this, perhaps:
Either of those might work, but I think the laptop in question uses Windows 10 Home (though I've never had a prior reason to check this, and don't have it to hand). I could try to convince the powers that be that a device with one of the compatible editions of Windows is needed, but for various reasons I'm unlikely to be successful.
Some training centres have configurations like this so people who want to take tests online cannot exit, manipulate the program, or launch other programs without the system generating a visible alert resulting in the test application shutting down (and therefore failing the test you are taking). Also companies like Virus Scanning companies have a system whereby the service cannot be stopped, uninstalled, etc... without an "administrator-level" password. I've no idea how it is done, but it is possible
Testing centres was kind of the model I was thinking of!

dosxuk

Established Member
Generally, the software you are using needs to be designed for this. Lots of software is - especially that used where the device is not being used as a general purpose computer, but for a specific task, and Windows fully supports this type of set up.

For a random piece of software, running on a normal laptop that needs to be used (at other times) for a bunch of other things, it's going to be difficult to achieve. In this sort of setup, Windows deliberately makes it difficult for applications to completely lock a user out of the OS (otherwise every bit of malware would just do this).

ABB125

Established Member
Generally, the software you are using needs to be designed for this. Lots of software is - especially that used where the device is not being used as a general purpose computer, but for a specific task, and Windows fully supports this type of set up.

For a random piece of software, running on a normal laptop that needs to be used (at other times) for a bunch of other things, it's going to be difficult to achieve. In this sort of setup, Windows deliberately makes it difficult for applications to completely lock a user out of the OS (otherwise every bit of malware would just do this).
Generally, the laptop is only used for running the software. Occasionally it might get used for something else, but when that happens it'll either be me or some other "trustworthy" person using it.

dosxuk

Established Member
It's not about the user being trustworthy - it's about the Windows set up - you'd need to fully lock the machine down, installing various components such as the keyboard filter (to block Ctrl+Alt+Del) and changing the shell application to your chosen application. Doing this means there is no normal Windows environment for your trustworthy users to use or access.

Some of the lockdown features may only be available in Windows Enterprise / Windows IOT editions (the latter being the modern name for the better known Windows Embedded edition).

XAM2175

Established Member
Either of those might work, but I think the laptop in question uses Windows 10 Home (though I've never had a prior reason to check this, and don't have it to hand). I could try to convince the powers that be that a device with one of the compatible editions of Windows is needed, but for various reasons I'm unlikely to be successful.
There comes a point where you don't have the right tools for the job, unfortunately.

Status
Not open for further replies.