• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Witness Statement Thameslink Query!!

bagels

Hello. I would really appreciate some help and clarification on my current situation as I am very worried !!
Basically. I am currently living in Luton with my boyfriend however, I work outside London Bridge station. The train fare is £20 a day so I foolishly thought to pay a short fare and use a 16-17 railcard despite being 20. I did it for 2 weeks until I got paid, which equated to 8 separate times ! I completely understand the gravity of how wrong this is, and I am very ashamed. I didn’t really think and made a huge mistake. I got caught earlier today and was issued a witness statement by Thameslink railway. I am very worried they will look at my previous tickets and see I’ve done it more than once, and with that will take me to court and prosecute me. Please can someone tell me the likelihood of these things happening and what I should do if it does? Again, I feel awful and will never do anything like this again and I never have before.
Please help !!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bagels

I had 3 tickets, to cover the journey which ended up leaving 3 stops unpaid for. I sort of just said I don’t live here (I only moved last month) and that I thought I was doing split tickets to make my fare cheaper and paying for all the stops. He explained that I hadn’t covered the whole journey and took my details. He didn’t mention the incorrect railcard, I don’t think he noticed as on his tablet I saw he wrote “short fare only” in the section where it asked for my offence. However, when they look into it I’m sure they’ll see my ticket and my real age so I will get caught out unfortunately. I’ll attach a picture of the witness statement I was given but with personal info scribbled out. Thank you for responding :)

Attachments

• IMG_6641.jpeg
    IMG_6641.jpeg
    463.9 KB · Views: 93

Veteran Member
Thanks for the details.

The bad news: GTR will very likely check your purchase history to see if there is evidence of repeat offending before writing to you (the letter may be some time coming, sorry!).

The good news: provided you don't ignore the letter, GTR are usually willing to agree to an out-of-court settlement, and often charge less than other operators in admin costs. I doubt it will make much difference that you claimed railcard discount as well.

When the letter arrives, please come back to us for more advice - meanwhile, there are plenty of threads on Thameslink (GTR) which may give you an idea of how to proceed.

And lastly: even being prosecuted will not be the disaster many people think it is.

bagels

Hello Thank you for responding. I had a feeling they would probably check the past tickets. But it’s understandable, as I shouldn’t have done it. I will be cooperative once I receive the letter and let you know what I’m planning on saying (if that’s okay)? Thanks for the advice!!

6Gman

Established Member
Hello Thank you for responding. I had a feeling they would probably check the past tickets. But it’s understandable, as I shouldn’t have done it. I will be cooperative once I receive the letter and let you know what I’m planning on saying (if that’s okay)? Thanks for the advice!!
Wait for the letter from GTR then come back here where you will find some very knowledgeable and helpful people who can advise further.

The likeliest outcome - if you co-operate fully - is you will be asked to pay the full fare for each incident of evasion plus a contribution of around £150 to their administration costs.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
@bagels. An Anytime Day Single from Luton to London (or vice-versa) is £22.20 each way. If the 8 separate occasions (for which the correct fare wasn't paid) were all return journeys, it's possible you may get asked to stump up 8 x 2 x £22.20 (= £355.20) plus the ~ £150.00 that @6Gman has just mentioned. So, ballpark £500.00 to settle the matter and avoid being taken to court.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Welcome to the forum!

We se lots of cases like this in this section of the forum. What happens next is that Govia Thameslink Railway will write to you, hte letter will sound quite threatening and say that they have received a report, are considering prosecuting you and asking for your version of events before deciding how to proceed. It is important that you engage with and reply to this letter. You might want to include the following in your reply:

- That you are sorry for what has happened
- What you have learned from the incident
- That you are keen to settle the matter without the need for court action
- Offer to pay the outstanding fare and the train company's administrative costs in dealing with the matter

Make sure your reply is short and concise, don't give a sob story - they've heard it all before. GTR are usually prepared to offer an administrative settlement (commonly known as an out of court settlement) to people who engage with the process and who haven't come to their attention before. There is no guarantee of this and GTR could decide to prosecute you in the magistrates court, although that doesn't usually happen.

An aggravating factor in your case is that you have done this before. GTR will be able to search your purchase history and you will need to be careful how you reply to theie letter. You should answer the questions they ask for truthfully but you are not required to incriminate yourself either.

If you are offered a settlement the cost tends to be around £150 plus the outstanding fare. An out of court settlement might appear to be a fine, but it isn't and you won't have a criminal record as a result of accepting one.

Feel free to post a copy of the letter once it arrives (with personal details redacted) along with your draft reply in this thread and forum members will be happy to proof read it for you.

bagels

Hello everyone. I just wanted to jump on this thread quickly as I have a little question.
Basically at the minute, due to my job, I travel to and from London to Manchester quite frequently. But for weeks at a time, and it’s very unpredictable where I stay at hotels so it’s not a second address. And I’m concerned they’ll send the prosecution letter whilst I’m away for work and I won’t have time to see it and reply. Is there any advice to get around this, or is it best to tell work I cannot travel for a while?

bcarmicle

Can you get someone to check your post every few days for you? That would seem the simplest option.

JBuchananGB

You said you live in Luton with your boyfriend. Is that the address you gave the inspector? If so, ask your boyfriend to look out for letter from GTR.