• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

WMT recruiting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dilksy2396

Good luck to everyone. I was invited to the Stage 1 assessment this week but had already accepted a role as a Senior Conductor for WMT so have to wait 6 months and apply again (if I want to...not sure yet...lots to learn about being a guard!).

I was a little dissappointed, for a few seconds,then I realised I had done well to get the Conductors position. I knew what the situation would be when I accepted the Conductor position anyway.

Anyway, I'm really enjoying my conductor training so far and I think it could be a job I'll really like. So I'll settle into it, and if I ever feel the time is right, I'll give driving another shot. If not, there'll be lots I can do with a conductors career so I feel like I've put myself into an excellent position.

I know a couple of people personally who are doing their Stage 1 this week, so I'll look on with interest and see how they get on. Best of luck to you guys on here. Hope I end up working a train with you one day. Let us know how you get on.

Hi Phil,

Well congratulations on being a guard with WMT!! I know a few guards with WMT and it is a brilliant career with many options to take to advance your career.

Hopefully stage 1 goes well on the 10th along with the next stages. Will be a pleasure to meet you and work a train together from Birmingham New Street as that's where I will be based.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Morning Dark Lightning.

Glad to hear you heard back quickly. I've booked in for the afternoon slot, give me chance to prepare in the morning and quickly go over my notes etc.

What about you mate?

Afternoon slot for me too, I’ll be seeing you there then.
Hopefully down in Watford too, should we both make it.

Dilksy2396

Afternoon slot for me too, I’ll be seeing you there then.
Hopefully down in Watford too, should we both make it.

Good Morning Mate,

Ah okay, will be a pleasure to meet you. You know what I look like ha!

Yes hopefully we always meet again in Watford, hopefully not long after!

brum

Hey Dilksy2396 and Dark Lightning I am also attending the West Mids assessment centre on Monday (morning), I have been practicing with all the tests/material they sent. I have to say I'm struggling with the memory one where you have to read a passage then answer questions on it. Hopefully with more practice I will improve! Good luck to you both and anyone else attending.

Dilksy2396

Hey Dilksy2396 and Dark Lightning I am also attending the West Mids assessment centre on Monday (morning), I have been practicing with all the tests/material they sent. I have to say I'm struggling with the memory one where you have to read a passage then answer questions on it. Hopefully with more practice I will improve! Good luck to you both and anyone else attending.

Hello There,

Ah okay well good luck with sitting your tests on Monday

Practice does make perfect!!

I've found reading a newspaper article, listing to the radio or a magazine passage then getting someone to ask you questions on what you've just read is good practice.

Thank you again and good luck again.

abacus614

I think that's the official OPC guidance but individual TOC's have different rules. EMR has a 2 year limit from passing stage 1.

I'm not sure. I've heard of candidates sitting in talent pools for years. No good if you only have 2 years to get though the whole process otherwise you'd have to start all over again.

severussnape

I'm not sure. I've heard of candidates sitting in talent pools for years. No good if you only have 2 years to get though the whole process otherwise you'd have to start all over again.
This is the situation I'm in. I'm in the talent pool for east mids. My 2 years ends November. I would then have to start all over again.

crebbs1

This is the situation I'm in. I'm in the talent pool for east mids. My 2 years ends November. I would then have to start all over again.

Which is why you should apply for all trainee driver jobs that are within your area. Don’t hesitate, just keep applying.

trundlewagon

Hi,

Can I ask how you found the DMI? And how the DM was...

Cheers in advance.

DMI was (and I hesitate to use this word) the easiest part of the process. Found it much more relaxed and informal than the MMI, would almost describe it more of a chat than an interview.

Touched upon some similar areas as the MMI but also a bit about what I knew about the company, qualities of a train driver, etc. From my experience, I'd say that if you can get through the MMI, you should be fine for the DMI.

abacus614

DMI was (and I hesitate to use this word) the easiest part of the process. Found it much more relaxed and informal than the MMI, would almost describe it more of a chat than an interview.

Touched upon some similar areas as the MMI but also a bit about what I knew about the company, qualities of a train driver, etc. From my experience, I'd say that if you can get through the MMI, you should be fine for the DMI.
Just wondering how long did it take to be invited to your DMI after passing your stage 2. Also where was it held.

Dilksy2396

Hi Trundlewagon,

Thank you for taking the time to comment.

That's good to know that it's more of a relaxed environment with the Driver Manager. I've been told it's down in Watford? I would of thought with the position being in Birmingham then it would be a Birmingham TDM interviewing?

They haven't been able to provide me a date for stage 2, hopefully it's not too long of a wait after passing on Monday! Is the TDM interview before or after the MMI?

trundlewagon

Just wondering how long did it take to be invited to your DMI after passing your stage 2. Also where was it held.

Hi Trundlewagon,

Thank you for taking the time to comment.

That's good to know that it's more of a relaxed environment with the Driver Manager. I've been told it's down in Watford? I would of thought with the position being in Birmingham then it would be a Birmingham TDM interviewing?

They haven't been able to provide me a date for stage 2, hopefully it's not too long of a wait after passing on Monday! Is the TDM interview before or after the MMI?

Had my Stage 2 at the start of October, DMI was towards the end of November.

DMI was in Brum at their training centre just round the corner from Snow Hill Station with a couple of New Street managers.

It's the MMI (along with the stage 2 tests) that happens in Watford at the OPC offices.

abacus614

Had my Stage 2 at the start of October, DMI was towards the end of November.

DMI was in Brum at their training centre just round the corner from Snow Hill Station with a couple of New Street managers.

It's the MMI (along with the stage 2 tests) that happens in Watford at the OPC offices.
Ahh I see. Where in the process are you now?

Status
Not open for further replies.