• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

WMT - Trainee Driver (Talent Pool) - Crewe / Shrewsbury / Leamington Spa (27/12/23)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

stXeve

Just cancel your holiday and don't give them the option if you really want the job. Much easier to fill with someone who has not commitments. All TOCs have been burnt by people with holidays booked

Utrinique Paratus sir, you deserve this more than most. Congratulations and good luck

Just cancel your holiday and don't give them the option if you really want the job. Much easier to fill with someone who has not commitments. All TOCs have been burnt by people with holidays booked
That's what I have done! No one is responding from the TOC!

walfo

Has anyone else heard yet? I’m thinking people might be off for half term so maybe it’ll be next week now?

Hi Sophie. Nothing my side. I interviewed on the 27th March. I also suspect it's partly down to the Easter break so fingers crossed we'll find out something soon.

How did you find your DMI?

Sophiehatts

Hi Sophie. Nothing my side. I interviewed on the 27th March. I also suspect it's partly down to the Easter break so fingers crossed we'll find out something soon.

I think it went okay… I had examples for things that were asked but I just hope I gave enough info and it was what they are looking for! how about you? Do you think it went well?

It sounds like I was towards the end as my interview was on 2 April (Crewe) so I’ve not been waiting too long!

I found out I had passed my DMI on 28th march but nothing since. I found the DMI ok, the driver managers were great, nice and relaxed.

walfo

I've just had an email from Aimee to say I passed the DMI and I'm now in the talent pool. Hopefully you have had an email with an update
I think it went okay… I had examples for things that were asked but I just hope I gave enough info and it was what they are looking for! how about you? Do you think it went well?

It sounds like I was towards the end as my interview was on 2 April (Crewe) so I’ve not been waiting too long!

Sophiehatts

I've just had an email from Aimee to say I passed the DMI and I'm now in the talent pool. Hopefully you have had an email with an update
Haha yes, they must have known we were chatting. I got the same, congratulations, I’m sure you’re just as made up as I am!

newtownmgr

Does anyone know how often train driver courses begin throughout the year. Or is it dependant on depot?
They run a few during the year. The academy is busy so slots are booked well in advance to ensure classroom availability etc.
As regards dependent on depot, they tend to mix drivers from different depots, potentially with similar traction, although not always the case. so drivers going to electric depots will be grouped together & diesel likewise. Hopefully some one who as done a recent course may have better info. My experience of the academy is limited to doing instructor courses & taking trainees up to the sim. My driver training was all in depot back in the 90’s.

I wonder whether this announcement by Labour this morning will have an effect on recruitment? It maybe me being paranoid, but if I was the CEO of a TOC I wouldn't be improving infrastructure and increase staffing if I knew it will be changing when the contract comes to an end?

I would like to add I know nothing about the rail industry so maybe talking nonsense, but it's just a thought.

newtownmgr

I wonder whether this announcement by Labour this morning will have an effect on recruitment? It maybe me being paranoid, but if I was the CEO of a TOC I wouldn't be improving infrastructure and increase staffing if I knew it will be changing when the contract comes to an end?

I would like to add I know nothing about the rail industry so maybe talking nonsense, but it's just a thought.
Nothing will change for months, possibly a couple of years. Current operating contracts will have to be renegotiated etc.
recruitment will i suspect have to continue as normal.

Each TOC / Management contract has a requirement to employ X number of Drivers and other members of staff so absolutely no impact on recruitment. This is why there is still a covid backlog of trainees awaiting instructors at home. They were and are employed even though they will be unproductive for quite some time so that the company forfills its obligations of the management contract with the DaFT.

TonyBrides

The fines they get for not running services would outweigh recruitment freezes.

You all need to calm down. The ones who got a reply strait away are extremely lucky.

I was told at the end of my interview I had passed.

It took 6 weeks to get an email from HR saying I was in the tallent pool. I then waited 11 months for a course.

Nothing happens overnight. Patience is definitely part of the NTS you’ll require to be a successful driver. So relax and wait until you get an email. Until you get one saying no it’s all good.

Thanks for the responses all very interesting. I am glad I generated a conversation.
I am not or ever have been part of the industry, so it's useful to get advice from people in the know.

I wouldn't say it was inpatients on my part, just excitement and keen to get going on my 2nd career .

TonyBrides

Thanks for the responses all very interesting. I am glad I generated a conversation.
I am not or ever have been part of the industry, so it's useful to get advice from people in the know.

I wouldn't say it was inpatients on my part, just excitement and keen to get going on my 2nd career .

There’s nothing wrong with being excited, but railway recruitment moves at the pace which suits the company.

If they have a course planned they will fill it, once that’s done every one else goes in the talent pool.

It’s a sizeable cost to run a recruitment process. So they tend to run one and then hold a large tallent pool.

I’ve known of people that waited 2 1/2 years to start after covid.

Yes it’s not like other industries that interview you on the day and then you get a call that night and start a month later.

It’s slow and drawn out, but stick with it because it’s worth it. After 17 years in the police all I can say is I wish I’d made the move years ago.

There’s nothing wrong with being excited, but railway recruitment moves at the pace which suits the company.

If they have a course planned they will fill it, once that’s done every one else goes in the talent pool.

It’s a sizeable cost to run a recruitment process. So they tend to run one and then hold a large tallent pool.

I’ve known of people that waited 2 1/2 years to start after covid.

Yes it’s not like other industries that interview you on the day and then you get a call that night and start a month later.

It’s slow and drawn out, but stick with it because it’s worth it. After 17 years in the police all I can say is I wish I’d made the move years ago.
Cheers. I am 22 years deep into a policing career, so I know the feeling and the excitement about leaving!