• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Woking to Waterloo in morning peak: which train to take?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pne

I may be making a journey from Woking to Waterloo on the morning of Thu 16 April. I will have a BritRail 1st class pass so I can take any train.

Trains on that line seem to be extremely frequent (every 3 minutes or so, with various stopping patterns).

I recently read this post:

We have had enough coverage of the Woking to Waterloo which is 150% loaded (or whatever it was) and the fact that a train 10 minutes later is quite reasonably loaded, how many commuters on that crush loaded train changed their travelling habits and caught the later train? Zero, none, nadda, so I dont think anything will work because people want to travel at that time and that is it.

Given that, I thought I'd ask whether it's possible to recommend certain trains that are less likely to be rammed? (I imagine travelling in 1st class may help anyway.)

I ultimately want to catch the 1006 Paddington to Penzance (as far as Par, to catch the Atlantic Coast Line train to Newquay), so my plan is to arrive at Waterloo at around 0900, to give me plenty of time to cross London and perhaps relay in the Paddington lounge for a bit. I could go a tad later or up to half an hour or so earlier.

I suppose I could also travel via Guildford and Reading, via Basingstoke and Reading, or via Honiton, but starting at the beginning and enjoying the lounge in addition to the FGW HST seemed like a good idea.

What would be a good train to take from Woking to Waterloo at around that time? Either times (e.g. "the 0847"), or routes (e.g. "trains from Salisbury")?

Or is there simply no good train from Woking to Waterloo on the morning peak and I should better travel westwards instead? If so, would it be better to travel via Guildford or Basingstoke - or via Honiton?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Kite159

Veteran Member
To be sure of a seat, than a Woking stopper starting from the pier ;)

Even a pair of 444s might be standing room only (although you might get a seat in 1st class) as the 8:06 comes via Winchester.

Smod

0806 from Woking is always 3x450 not 2x444.

This information is for fast trains only - I can only speak for 2nd class so this is probably a general indication only:

0806 - generally some seats towards the back
0809 - this is the best bet if it's 3x450 - but it often gets cut to 2x450 and then it's full and standing
0812 - 3x450 generally full and standing
0819 - 3x159 - often a few seats towards the rear
0823 - 3x450 - not too bad - again get a seat towards the rear

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.