• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Woman Gets £480 Bill For Putting Feet On Seats.

BlueLeanie

Surely once it's identified that the paperwork wasn't issued to a resident of Wales in Welsh & English the fine will be quickly struck off?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
I really don't know why people find the need to put their feet on seats and have no sympathy with the person prosecuted.

I imagine, mostly they do it because for many people it's more comfortable to have your feet raised off the floor, so finding somewhere higher up to put your feet is almost an unconscious, instinctive, reflex. I do that myself when I'm at home - if I'm sitting for long periods, I automatically move so I'm not sitting with feet on the floor for a long time. To be clear though, that doesn't justify putting dirty shoes on a seat that other people may then need to sit on - I agree with others here that is inconsiderate and unhygienic, I wouldn't do it myself, and I also have no sympathy for the woman who was fined - but it possibly explains why people do it.

I do sometimes wonder if it'd be an idea if footrests were fitted under seats on trains - which would make make it more comfortable for those of us who prefer to have feet elevated. Combining that with better policing of anti-social behaviour on trains ought to vastly reduce incidence of shoes on seats.

Tester

It says a lot about our society if they have to put a notice on the train saying “Do Not Pout Feet On Seats”. (I would also include animals being banned from sitting on seats - as cover in my earlier thread some months ago).

On Thursday afternoons at 14.30 (UK winter time), I watch ‘Japan Railway Journal’ on NHK (Freesat 209). Everything looks so clean and the people seem to be very polite. Can’t see Japan needing to have such notices about feet on seats.
Also on internet:> https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/tv/japanrailway/
Interestingly, it is not unusual to see feet on seats in Japan (rural - not physically possible urban!) but invariably with shoes off.

Buzby

Is the age of the miscreant relevant? I’ve just returned from a journey where a mother and two kids let them stand, fight and do acrobatic feats with little or no control. The resulting mess from muddy wellington boots seemingly ignored by train staff and would not be cleaned for a considerable time.

Butts

Veteran Member
If I got a four to myself in 1st Class on a Pendelino or HST (in the old days) sometimes I would take my shoes off and put my feet up on the opposite seat.

Prior to each stop I would remove them in case anyone wanted to sit down.

This would be particularly prevalent on a long journey and at Night.

No member of Crew ever remonstrated with me.

Is this deemed unacceptable behaviour ?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
If I got a four to myself in 1st Class on a Pendelino or HST (in the old days) sometimes I would take my shoes off and put my feet up on the opposite seat.

I don't have an issue with that but some people do seem to be oddly squeamish about feet, despite them largely being the cleanest part of the body because they spend most of the time between being cleaned inside shoes. Aside from private parts, hands are by far the dirtiest part of the body and we don't have people calling for gloves to be worn when touching parts of the train (other than from germophobes). Socked feet are almost certainly considerably cleaner than one's backside.

Deepgreen

Established Member
Good old Serco, ripping people off.

Shame their fraud with their contracts in the prisons sector wasn’t penalised so robustly.
How, precisely?!

Not the same as the case in question as, unless your socks were filthy enough to soil others' clothing, it's not going to cause a problem. If you had bare feet - hmm.

I see that a woman has ended up with a £480 bill for putting feet on seats on Merseyrail train. (She did not pay the initial penalty).

I see from the comments that most members of the public are pleased that action was taken to stop this filthy habit of soiling the seats.

Good - it needs to be tackled. No matter how people behave at home, they have to realise that in public different rules apply. It's not only about soiling seats, it's also to do with the offenders' aggression and territoriality. On many occasions before I have simply approached the seat and made to sit down, looking as if I would sit on the offenders' feet. They were hurriedly removed!

Last edited:

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Not the same as the case in question as, unless your socks were filthy enough to soil others' clothing, it's not going to cause a problem. If you had bare feet - hmm.

While keeping socks on is better, I don't get the aversion some people have to bare feet on a seat. They're without doubt the cleanest part of the body because they spend most of their time between being cleaned inside shoes and socks. Hands by contrast are filthy.

AdamWW

Established Member
On Thursday afternoons at 14.30 (UK winter time), I watch ‘Japan Railway Journal’ on NHK (Freesat 209). Everything looks so clean and the people seem to be very polite. Can’t see Japan needing to have such notices about feet on seats.
Also on internet:> https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/tv/japanrailway/

Some time ago in China I was on a long distance train where people were having to stand on the seats to reach their luggage on overhead racks.

The seats had removable covers which they carefully lifted out of the way before standing on the seat, then put back afterwards.

al78

Established Member
Find it incredible that anyone would have an entitlement attitude to putting feet on a seat. Smacks of treating any space they are in as an extension of their home. I went for a 10 mile hike on Sunday between stations along an extremely muddy long distance path and at one point I was hoping I didn't get too much mud on me before catching the train home (I didn't thankfully).

D6130

Established Member
While keeping socks on is better, I don't get the aversion some people have to bare feet on a seat. They're without doubt the cleanest part of the body because they spend most of their time between being cleaned inside shoes and socks.
....unless their owner has Athlete's Foot or a fungal nail infection! ;)

Butts

Veteran Member
While keeping socks on is better, I don't get the aversion some people have to bare feet on a seat. They're without doubt the cleanest part of the body because they spend most of their time between being cleaned inside shoes and socks. Hands by contrast are filthy.

I always keep my socks on o_O

May I reiterate I would only put my feet up if no one else was occupying the other three seats and remove them at each stop.

scragend

I remember that there used to be very small signs just below the window on Pacers which simply said "Please do not put your feet on the seats".

The reason I remember this is because I once saw one where some wag had tried to deface the sign by replacing one word with another, but had crossed out the wrong word.

The defaced sign then read "Please do not put c*ck feet on the seats".

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Surely once it's identified that the paperwork wasn't issued to a resident of Wales in Welsh & English the fine will be quickly struck off?

Are you sure about that? The offence took place in England.

I remember that there used to be very small signs just below the window on Pacers which simply said "Please do not put your feet on the seats".

The reason I remember this is because I once saw one where some wag had tried to deface the sign by replacing one word with another, but had crossed out the wrong word.

The defaced sign then read "Please do not put c*ck feet on the seats".

"Fleas in your head"* was the usual refrain on 1980s Merseyrail. Vandalism, but somehow more innocent times.

* Please mind your head.

AdamWW

Established Member

"Fleas in your head"* was the usual refrain on 1980s Merseyrail. Vandalism, but somehow more innocent times.

* Please mind your head.

Or the ever hilarious changing "Toilet" to "To let".

Skimpot flyer

Established Member
I wouldn’t want this person to put their feet on the seats o_O

<image shows man barefoot, in sandals, in winter, with one of the sandals on the floor, a bare foot resting on his knee>

Attachments

• IMG_4899.jpeg
    IMG_4899.jpeg
    177.9 KB · Views: 93

Thirteen

I wouldn’t want this person to put their feet on the seats o_O

<image shows man barefoot, in sandals, in winter, with one of the sandals on the floor, a bare foot resting on his knee>
At least it's not on the seat but still!

Some people just have no manners or awareness.

BlueLeanie

I'm genuinely not sure! The fine and fees were issued to an address in Wales.

I know that the Parking Companies have had their cases thrown out in Welsh courts for issuing parking fines in English only to Welsh drivers.

Zamracene749

* Please mind your head.
Not quite on topic, but in the 1970s single deck buses had transferred on notices saying 'Smokers are requested to occupy the rear seats'. Inevitably, the 'occ' got scratched out, followed by the 'y', if you were lucky the 'the' then the 're'. Finally the 'ats' at the end was removed.

jon0844

Veteran Member
Not quite on topic, but in the 1970s single deck buses had transferred on notices saying 'Smokers are requested to occupy the rear seats'. Inevitably, the 'occ' got scratched out, followed by the 'y', if you were lucky the 'the' then the 're'. Finally the 'ats' at the end was removed.
I was content with 'Permit to rave' machines.

Tester

Showing my age, but.....
Do not lean out of the window

Easily became.....
Do not clean soot off the window

Springs Branch

Established Member
Latecomer to this thread . . .
walesonline.co.uk said:
Woman gets 'ridiculous' £480 bill for putting foot on train seat
"Woman gets £60 fine for putting feet on seats which then escalated to £483 after non-payment" would be more valid a title
Given this is one of those ultra click-baity Reach sources, we should all be grateful the story didn't start:-

"Wales Mom rests tired feet. You won't believe what happened next!"

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Showing my age, but.....
Do not lean out of the window

Easily became.....
Do not clean soot off the window
"Not for pub ic use" was very common, sometimes expanded to " for pub ic use".

I could never quite work out what use one would make of the staff-only door into the kitchen area of a buffet car, "pub ic" or not. :s

The exile

Established Member

I know that the Parking Companies have had their cases thrown out in Welsh courts for issuing parking fines in English only to Welsh drivers.
Presumably for offences committed in Wales though.

Neptune

Established Member

So the law is now language dependent? I might pop across to France and get a barrage of parking tickets and not pay them because they’re written in French. See how far that gets me.

The exile

Established Member
So the law is now language dependent? I might pop across to France and get a barrage of parking tickets and not pay them because they’re written in French. See how far that gets me.
Very unlikely that parking and speeding offences would be pursued internationally - though if you want to test it I’d do it somewhere deeper into Schengen so you can cross an open international frontier. That is of course, not an incitement to break the law!!!!