• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Woman lying on Milton Keynes railway track sought

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hyphen

Swansea (previously Nottingham/Sheffield)
Sorry if this has been posted elsewhere...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-27706650

A woman caught on camera lying across railway tracks in Milton Keynes is being sought by police. CCTV images of the woman and a man seen loitering on a stretch of track between Woburn Sands and Bow Brickhill stations in April, have been released by British Transport Police.
The pair were seen near a railway foot crossing near Davenport Lea in Old Farm Park.
British Transport Police called their actions "foolish and extremely dangerous".

What a stupid thing to want to do...! I have no idea how busy that stretch of line is (or how many tracks there are - it's not possible to tell from the video) but my first thought was that if nothing else, she's got her back to the direction of traffic.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ushawk

Established Member
The line is 2 track and fortunately not that busy with services, but that isnt the point.

CCTV is incredibly clear so hopefully the woman can be spoken too about her stupidity.

Emblematic

No passenger services on a Sunday, and little other traffic (RTT shows a single working on the line last Sunday, which is likely typical.) It would be very easy to assume the line was closed on a day like that - a potentially fatal assumption.

Chrisgr31

Established Member
Leaving aside the actions of the pair why on earth is there a CCTV camera in that postion in the first place?

Surly you'd want it so it can see an essential bit of kit, or as much track as possible, rather than looking at a whole load of ballast?

GodAtum

On Moderation
Looks like the camera fell down from a pole onto the floor?

Geezertronic

Established Member
Leaving aside the actions of the pair why on earth is there a CCTV camera in that postion in the first place?

Surly you'd want it so it can see an essential bit of kit, or as much track as possible, rather than looking at a whole load of ballast?

Maybe they have had a spate of cable thefts or vandalism in the area so have installed a camera for that purpose?

Johnny_w

I'd almost say that was taken from a camera on a 'shoot' and Plod have lifted it
from facebook/Flickr ect ect?

Just a thought.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
I'd almost say that was taken from a camera on a 'shoot' and Plod have lifted it
from facebook/Flickr ect ect?

Just a thought.

Makes sense to me; the image quality looks far better than most CCTV images... On the other hand, however, if it was on social media wouldn't the BTP have been able to trace who it was by their profile, or at least via whoever uploaded it?

Hyphen

Swansea (previously Nottingham/Sheffield)
the image quality looks far better than most CCTV images

'Most' CCTV systems are beginning to show their age now - there are a lot of analogue or early digital systems out there which record at rather low resolution, leading to the 'grainy' effect we've become used to. Modern equipment now gives a choice to use 1080p cameras at decent frame-rates, in small enough packages to hide away like this.

Certainly in the transport sector, on-vehicle storage has always been a concern, and trading off recording resolution with the cost of storage. As this camera is trackside, it could well be an IP camera transmitting to a data centre somewhere, where storage is much cheaper.

In my opinion it does very much look to me like an HD CCTV output (the quality of the image doesn't suggest it's got a large lens on it).

Olaf

I think the exposed length of cable in the foreground is a give-away as to the camera's intended purpose.

dk1

Veteran Member
As they dont like to lock such people up in nut houses like Victorian times just set snipers on them. Danger to themselves & society.

Care to expand? As I can't really understand what a CCTV would accomplish from this angle?

If it's what I think it is (a hidden camera disguised as a rock) then it's a good angle for getting faces of potential cable thieves without them knowing it's there.

Chrisgr31

Established Member
If it's what I think it is (a hidden camera disguised as a rock) then it's a good angle for getting faces of potential cable thieves without them knowing it's there.

Is that area known to be a problem area for cable theft? After all the camera can only see a very short distance so the chances of it picking up someone stealing cable must be very small. Although it picked up this woman and the chances of that must be equallly small!

34D

Established Member
Is it just me thinking "doesn't she have a nice bottom"?

I agree that this appears like it could be someone doing an 'arty photoshoot' rather than a nutjob.

Either way, the BTP are to be applauded for their hardline stance.

SPADTrap

Established Member
Is it just me thinking "doesn't she have a nice bottom"?

I agree that this appears like it could be someone doing an 'arty photoshoot' rather than a nutjob.

Either way, the BTP are to be applauded for their hardline stance.

Arty? Not sure it was that kind of photoshoot!

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Arty? Not sure it was that kind of photoshoot!

I think the suspicion is that, how can I put this, the rest of the clip might have been unsuitable for broadcast as it may have involved the removal of one or more pieces of clothing...??

DarloRich

Veteran Member

It ain't going to catch anyone now ;)

I think the suspicion is that, how can I put this, the rest of the clip might have been unsuitable for broadcast as it may have involved the removal of one or more pieces of clothing...??

Discussing Ugandan affairs? Surely not………………

Chrisgr31

Established Member

Which then begs the question of how it fell in to the hands off the authorites "Well boss I was just searching this port ohh sorry arty site for models stripping off on railway lines and found this..."

Big Mac

If the police took the photo from Facebook, surely that'd give quite a big clue about the identity of the person in question?

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
If the police took the photo from Facebook, surely that'd give quite a big clue about the identity of the person in question?

Presumably uploaded by a friend or aquaintance of the trespasser so the person who took the video may well not be the one who was on the line.

I hope a suitable fine is handed out when the person is identified to discourage this sort of behaviour.

Status
Not open for further replies.