• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Work Experience

Status
Not open for further replies.

TechieHelper

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone knew of any work experience for a position as a dispatcher (or any train-related job for that matter) in the London / South East area? I've just started A Levels and would be very interested to come and work in a station :)

Thanks!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone knew of any work experience for a position as a dispatcher (or any train-related job for that matter) in the London / South East area? I've just started A Levels and would be very interested to come and work in a station :)

Thanks!
Contact the local TOCs would be the best advice.

That said, I emailed a TOC up North when I would have been about such a thing and they never gave me a reply.

CyrusWuff

Established Member
Hi,

Thanks!
You'd be unlikely to be able to do work experience as a Train Dispatcher, given the medical and training requirements involved.

Greater Anglia occasionally offer unpaid "traineeships", but they tend to be a two month programme rather than the couple of weeks that work experience placements tend to last.

zwk500

Veteran Member
I'd personally write to Network Rail and TOCs asking for work experience in a Station Customer Support role at one of the big terminals. You can mention that you'd like to see how despatchers work at some point during that week. Work experience placements tend to include a range of roles over the week, getting a sense of what the company offers and how jobs differ, rather than doing just 1 role.

StaffsPM1

I did work experience twice with SOuth West Trains as was. Realistically you cannot do anything other than platform customer services because of the psycometrics and medical and training requirements of most roles.

skyhigh

Established Member
Realistically you cannot do anything other than platform customer services because of the psycometrics and medical and training requirements of most roles.
You might be able to shadow a dispatcher, but you definitely wouldn't be allowed to have a go. Anything that's non-safety related you might also have a chance at shadowing - ticket office etc. You definitely wouldn't be able to go out with a driver or guard though.

Established Member
I appreciate you were asking about London and the South East, but I've just seen this poster at Leeds Station, for anyone else's benefit.

Attachments

• 20221016_195257.jpg
    20221016_195257.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 46

skyhigh

Established Member
I appreciate you were asking about London and the South East, but I've just seen this poster at Leeds Station, for anyone else's benefit.
They don't offer work experience as a part of that, though. It's simply a course on CVs, customer service and basic IT etc. with a job interview at the end hoping to pick out any talent that comes through.

zwk500

Veteran Member
Ok thanks everyone, I've tried emailing one company but I'll try a few more!
My rule of thumb when doing job applications was that I'd hear back seriously from about 1 in 5 companies (nearly everybody gives a 'thank you for your interest' email). Obviously it's hit and miss how many response you need before you get a 'yes', but you'll have to put some legwork in to get a foot in the door.

Status
Not open for further replies.