• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Work on Okehampton Line: progress updates

Status
Not open for further replies.
Realtime Trains now has the timings from 12th December - 43-45 mins to Exeter Central is perhaps a tad disappointing. More services running through to and from Central, than I was expecting, however.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

24Grange

I wonder if that's the actual timings or just published for " slack" and allowing the track to bed in - or what ever

The Ham

Established Member
Cream train first. :lol:

Only because the cream can only ever come from Devon, if the reopening through to Plymouth ever came to pass then any Cornish Cream trains would have to follow the jam trains otherwise there would be significant political fallout!

BayPaul

Established Member
They would have to remarshal the consist at the border obviously!
That's the real reason for the closure of the line, so that cream and jam trains from Gunnislake need to reverse at Bere Alston before causing significant offence to the local community. Prior to that, with direct running via Okehampton the politics was beyond comprehension!

Wilts Wanderer

Established Member
Realtime Trains now has the timings from 12th December - 43-45 mins to Exeter Central is perhaps a tad disappointing. More services running through to and from Central, than I was expecting, however.

Various linespeed improvements will allow the timetable to be accelerated from next May, saving a further 3-4 mins each way on average I believe.

Veteran Member
But will the jam be in the top half or the bottom half of the freight container? :lol:
Neither, they would be passenger rated traffic :)

There is of course also the possibility of Mr Stein sending fish from Padstow by road for forwarding by passenger train to London establishments.

PS December train times are pretty much identical to those published earlier this year.

Established Member
Imagine the (tasty) mess if a wagon derailed... :lol:
(Anyway - I'll leave you knowledgeable folk to get back to your conversations ;))
Such a tasty derailment is very unlikely now that the track has been completely relaid, however since it is single track, a head on collision between separate jam and cream trains is entirely possible.
They would have to remarshal the consist at the border obviously!
The Okehampton - Plymouth line runs entirely within Devon. Bere Alston - Gunnislake only passes into Cornwall when crossing the River Tamar on the Calstock Viaduct.
That's the real reason for the closure of the line, so that cream and jam trains from Gunnislake need to reverse at Bere Alston before causing significant offence to the local community. Prior to that, with direct running via Okehampton the politics was beyond comprehension!
The L&SWR it seems were experts in the politics of cream tea trains. By requiring a reversal at Plymouth, they were able to ensure that the trains ran cream first through Devon, but were jam first when they entered Cornwall. For such traffic to run via Brunel’s route without a reversal would be grossly offensive to both Devon and Cornwall. It’s not beyond comprehension that it could also suffer seawater contamination at Dawlish!

REVUpminster

I wonder if that's the actual timings or just published for " slack" and allowing the track to bed in - or what ever
Passive provision for Okehampton Parkway? as is Marsh Barton in the Paignton-Exmouth service.

Ps I don't know if admin can transfer these to the other thread.

Peter C

Established Member
Such a tasty derailment is very unlikely now that the track has been completely relaid, however since it is single track, a head on collision between separate jam and cream trains is entirely possible.
:lol::lol:

-Peter

RPI

Established Member
I see training runs started today using 150246

snowball

Established Member
press release

Work to reopen the Dartmoor Line by the end of the year is continuing to progress well with this latest phase of work involving trains travelling the 14 mile stretch of railway to test out the newly laid track.

The increased activity starts from next week and during this time the two pedestrian level crossings – which are in the process of being upgraded – will be temporarily closed for safety reasons. The other four user worked level crossings will remain open and are only accessible by authorised farmers and their representatives.

Network Rail’s team of engineers are continuing with the remaining work on the Dartmoor Line including installing the new GSM-R masts (the railway’s mobile communications system), completing the necessary drainage work, installing fencing and repairing some of the bridges. This follows the confirmation of government funding in March and the successful relaying of the 11 miles of new track, 24,000 sleepers and 29,000 tonnes of ballast in May.

The Supporters' Association are reporting today that the turnout to Platform 2 at the Meldon end of Okehampton station has been removed and plain-lined.

Ash Bridge

Established Member
The Supporters' Association are reporting today that the turnout to Platform 2 at the Meldon end of Okehampton station has been removed and plain-lined.
Hopes for a heritage operation working off platform 1 to Meldon sadly rather unlikely for the foreseeable then?

fgwrich

Established Member
Not so much left there now I believe, the link below may help although I‘m not certain how often it gets updated?

I don’t think that has been updated for a while, as 70273 has recently left Devon too, for a new life with other EMU vehicles at the East Kent Railway (private sale to a well known EMU preservationist). I did notice some of ERS’s Blue and Cream Mk2s have also now been moved over to Great Yarmouth in recent weeks as well.

geoffk

Established Member
I noted a class 150 near Coleford this afternoon heading for Okehampton (time around 14.15) but it didn't reappear at Yeoford (I was on the bridge until around 15.45) despite RTT reporting it had left Okehampton at 14.50. Allegedly this unit returned from Yeoford at 15.32! I can only assume it turned back short of Yeoford station so I didn't see or hear it.

Brush 4

Oct 6 2021. View from the old A30 bridge, looking towards the station. This was a tree tunnel, with the tops touching from both sides. The line was barely visible in summertime. Perhaps they will do the other side as well. It must be 50 odd years since it was last like this. Now if only existing lines could get this level of vegetation management........ 007.JPG

Ash Bridge

Established Member
That really is a sight to behold! Lets hope the rest of the route gets the same treatment for as well as the obvious improvements it brings operationally it opens up some wonderful views for the passenger also.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Oct 6 2021. View from the old A30 bridge, looking towards the station. This was a tree tunnel, with the tops touching from both sides. The line was barely visible in summertime. Perhaps they will do the other side as well. It must be 50 odd years since it was last like this. Now if only existing lines could get this level of vegetation management........ View attachment 103628

At the best part of £100 per cubic metre of logs these days I hope they get some money back for all of the wood! :lol:
Looks great though doesn’t it?

Class 170101

Established Member
Oct 6 2021. View from the old A30 bridge, looking towards the station. This was a tree tunnel, with the tops touching from both sides. The line was barely visible in summertime. Perhaps they will do the other side as well. It must be 50 odd years since it was last like this. Now if only existing lines could get this level of vegetation management........ View attachment 103628
I hope that left hand bank is secure. Looks rather vulnerable to landslips if you ask me.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
I hope that left hand bank is secure. Looks rather vulnerable to landslips if you ask me.

No more vulnerable than it was before the vegetation was removed. And rather less vulnerable to leaves on the line (still attached to the trees).

Class 170101

Established Member
No more vulnerable than it was before the vegetation was removed. And rather less vulnerable to leaves on the line (still attached to the trees).
I hope you are right but I know from experience of a slope whilst being cleared of tress actually slipped.

AlbertBeale

Established Member
I hope you are right but I know from experience of a slope whilst being cleared of tress actually slipped.

Generally, bare earth without vegetation is more prone to slipping - not only because the root system can hold things together, but also because the tree cover disperses rain more evenly and makes it less likely that channels will be gouged in the bank.

Personally I think the side with the trees is massively more attractive; the other looks awful. And as for opening up view for passengers ... not from down in a cutting like that! As a passenger, I like the attractiveness of tree cover in that sort of situation, as well as having longer distance views in places too.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
It’s a common misconception that tree root systems hold embankments / cuttings together.

Grass helps.

Brush 4

The old shed area is being dug down 3 or 4ft. Rubble from the turntable pit can be seen. They found the spindle and in the 3rd photo, apparently the whole turntable. It looks as if it was cut up then buried in the pit. No doubt the facts will emerge eventually. The concrete buffer block by the pit in the middle photo is apparently being retained, it already has a plaque, explaining the history of the site.
004.JPG003.JPG006.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.