• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

World War II - US Army Ambulance Trains

Status
Not open for further replies.

DerekC

Established Member
I was reading a railway history of Tewkesbury the other day, and saw a mention of ambulance trains operating in WWII to a temporary US Military Hospital at Malvern and had some interesting snippets on their operation. The source cited was O S Nock's Britain's Railways at War, 1939-1945. I managed to acquire a copy of that, which contains rather more information, which I will quote:

The preparations extended into many forms of railway activity. It was naturally expected that casualties would be very heavy, and extensive arrangements were made for the running of ambulance trains. The working prepared for those allocated to the American Army was interesting. These trains, equipped for working on the Continent or at home, were fitted with the Westinghouse brake. For service within Great Britain LNER locomotives of the former Great Eastern 4-6-0 class B12 were used. These had the Westinghouse brake, and were generally acceptable because their low-axle loading
gave them a very high route-availability. Their crews, drivers, firemen, guards lived with the trains and worked rotationally on the caboose system. Although they had certain bases of operation they were so organised that the trains could be ordered anywhere, at any time of the day or night. The needs of the service frequently took drivers over unfamiliar routes, and then of course they had to be accompanied by local pilotmen. Furthermore, while the rebuilt variety of the B12 was an excellent engine and rendered invaluable and trouble-free service, some routes over which these heavy ambulance trains were ordered included severe gradients, where double-heading was necessary. On such occasions control of the train, and with it the brakes, was vested in the assistant engine, which in almost every instance would be vacuum-braked. The ex-Great Eastern 4-6-0s were fitted with vacuum-air proportional valves, so that the leading driver could work in his normal manner and apply the air brakes on the train engine and the coaches to an appropriate degree.
Does anyone know if more information on the operation of these trains and (even better) some photographs exists anywhere? There is a poor quality one in the Tewkesbury book which I probably should not reproduce here.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Gloster

Established Member
The Military Railway Study Group, formerly the World War II Railway Study Group, is probably your starting point. The more you can refine your question, the more likely they will be able to help.

Last edited:

Llanigraham

On Moderation
I believe the hospital mentioned was roughly where the Three Counties Ground now is.

Llanigraham

On Moderation
That is adjacent to the now defunct Midland Railway Malvern to Ashchurch line.

Indeed, and Rail Map online shows that there were a couple of sidings and a station just to the south of Hanley Rd (opposite Brown Gate).

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
I'm not sure whether it's of any use (and I realise that it's after the period), but at the Army Medical Services Museum, Keogh Barracks, Aldershot is a US Army Medical Department Ambulance Train Coach.

It is a Bymk Ward Car designed for the Department as ambulance stock and built in Germany at the DB workshops at Neuaubing, Munich in 1957. It was one of eleven purchased by the British Army in December 1978 and used by 79 Transport Squadron, RAMC in Germany.

These are the details: Number: 002-3; Length: 19.5 metres; Weight: 32 tons; Bogie configuration: Swan neck; Served in the Ambulance Train Fleet until 1989; Converted to take 33 stretchers in bespoke constructed frames.

Upon withdrawal, it was decided to preserve one coach. The choice of stock for preservation was influenced by the fact that the Bymk fleet was to undergo an upgrade and refit, which would prolong their service life thus this example of rolling stock would not become available for preservation. Fleet number 002-3 was delivered to the Port of Hull and eventually arrived at Marchwood Military Port August 28th 1992. Members of the 275 Railway squadron RLC(V) and the Ambulance Train Squadron RAMC(V) completed the coach restoration project over 13 months within the port’s workshops. On September 23rd 1993 at Keogh Barracks the coach was manoeuvred into position and set to rest onto a specially prepared section of period track.

The Museum is scheduled to move to Cardiff at some time in the future, although there's no firm date for this as far as I know, as there's quite a lot of controversy about the use of the chosen site in Cardiff Bay.

In the meantime, it might be worth you asking the Museum whether they have any information on your enquiry.

Wychwood93

I'm not sure whether it's of any use (and I realise that it's after the period), but at the Army Medical Services Museum, Keogh Barracks, Aldershot is a US Army Medical Department Ambulance Train Coach.

It is a Bymk Ward Car designed for the Department as ambulance stock and built in Germany at the DB workshops at Neuaubing, Munich in 1957. It was one of eleven purchased by the British Army in December 1978 and used by 79 Transport Squadron, RAMC in Germany.

These are the details: Number: 002-3; Length: 19.5 metres; Weight: 32 tons; Bogie configuration: Swan neck; Served in the Ambulance Train Fleet until 1989; Converted to take 33 stretchers in bespoke constructed frames.

Upon withdrawal, it was decided to preserve one coach. The choice of stock for preservation was influenced by the fact that the Bymk fleet was to undergo an upgrade and refit, which would prolong their service life thus this example of rolling stock would not become available for preservation. Fleet number 002-3 was delivered to the Port of Hull and eventually arrived at Marchwood Military Port August 28th 1992. Members of the 275 Railway squadron RLC(V) and the Ambulance Train Squadron RAMC(V) completed the coach restoration project over 13 months within the port’s workshops. On September 23rd 1993 at Keogh Barracks the coach was manoeuvred into position and set to rest onto a specially prepared section of period track.

The Museum is scheduled to move to Cardiff at some time in the future, although there's no firm date for this as far as I know, as there's quite a lot of controversy about the use of the chosen site in Cardiff Bay.

In the meantime, it might be worth you asking the Museum whether they have any information on your enquiry.
About – The Museum of Military Medicine

Some years ago while staying at the caravan club site in Malvern the reception building had a photo' of an ambulance train at the station. I did get a copy of it at the time but I can no longer locate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.