• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Worst damage to a locomotive sustained while hauling a railtour?

On Moderation
Certainly, it had crossed my mind that there were some Victorian-era prangs, or worse, that'd qualify for this thread. The 1889 Armagh disaster would count in that regard.
I did consider Armagh, but the loco with the damage (per thread title) was that of the following scheduled passenger service (which was therefore not a railtour).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

wce

King George V had an argument with a bridge (somewhere on the North and West ?) as a result of track renewal causing the loading gauge to be changed. Pretty sure the safety valve brass cover was torn of.
The same happened with 6024 on the way into Paddington in March 92.

Thornaby 37

It was a normal service Derby-Skegness train hauled by a pair of class 20s during the summer peak, with a morning departure, and an evening return from Skegness. The last Derby-Skegness ran on 4th September 1992 with 20090+20132. The following summer a Leicester-Skegness class 20 hauled train ran, ending on 3rd September 1993 (the last BR class 20 hauled train to Skegness)!
20090+ 20132 worked the Skegness diagram throughout the summer of 1992
Each time I rode that pair 090 sounded worse and worse each time
The video I have linked [wasn't filmed by me BTW] demonstrates how bad 090 sounded that summer, in particular about 45 seconds into the video

Sean Emmett

Tangers the naughty engine!

IIRC I was on a Pathfinder tour from Temple Meads to Carlisle and back (out via Leeds, back via Shap) when our class 45 failed approaching Derby and was replaced by another in quick time, and the failed engine never ran again.

B1 61264 has had its share of scrapes, setting off the overhead at Liverpool St and Forest Gate, hot box at Diss and hitting the buffers at Norwich.

Not all on the same tour mind, and it's still with us.

Edit: I was on that Deltic tour that failed at Berwick. We had Tornado on the way out from Doncaster to Auld Reekie.

Very disappointed as the booked schedule was phenomenal.

Last edited:

D6130

Established Member
Does anyone know what went wrong with today's 1Z37 Kidderminster to Canterbury West railtour? After a 5 minute late start, it lost 130 minutes between Worcester Shrub Hill and Norton Junction. Was it a loco problem?

Does anyone know what went wrong with today's 1Z37 Kidderminster to Canterbury West railtour? After a 5 minute late start, it lost 130 minutes between Worcester Shrub Hill and Norton Junction. Was it a loco problem?
According to reports, there was a fatality on the original planned route at Standish Jct, so the train was delayed and then diverted via the Cotswold line and Oxford instead of via Kemble.
To make up some time, the planned steam haulage was ditched (so no need for water stops or servicing) and the 47 hauled the tour throughout Kent.
(There was a suggestion that they wanted the Class 40 to take the tour to Canterbury, but it wasn't cleared for Kent, so had to come off at Hanwell as originally planned).

Harvester

Established Member
20090+ 20132 worked the Skegness diagram throughout the summer of 1992
Each time I rode that pair 090 sounded worse and worse each time
The video I have linked [wasn't filmed by me BTW] demonstrates how bad 090 sounded that summer, in particular about 45 seconds into the video
It does sound extremely unhealthy, yet 20090 survived another six months or so before its withdrawal from Toton in 1993. During the 1993 summer, the last for class 20 haulage to Skegness, 20132 paired with 20087 was a regular on the Leicester-Skegness diagram.

D6130

Established Member
According to reports, there was a fatality on the original planned route at Standish Jct, so the train was delayed and then diverted via the Cotswold line and Oxford instead of via Kemble.
To make up some time, the planned steam haulage was ditched (so no need for water stops or servicing) and the 47 hauled the tour throughout Kent.
(There was a suggestion that they wanted the Class 40 to take the tour to Canterbury, but it wasn't cleared for Kent, so had to come off at Hanwell as originally planned).
Many thanks!

Wyrleybart

Established Member
On June 13th 1998 I was on the Slug and Slog railtour and 73131 front bogie derailed in Bescot Yard and wthetourwas taken forward by 58028!
That is sorta partially correct !!!
I was the TCS on duty and the Rugby conductor driver and Hither Green drivers arrived separately. I sent them over to the down receptions where the pair of 73s were stabled - their intention being to run down the receptions towards Tame Bridge, then set back onto the train on the UDGL once the pair of RfD 47s had departed to Saltley. The train arrived from the north onto the UDGL and ran down towards Tame Bridge.

The signalman in the Down Tower called me and his opening line was "You are never gonna believe this" !!! Basically, the drivers were taking the locos down the receptions when the leading wheelset of 73131 left the rails. My immediate response was to find the most suitable blue star loco to multi to the remaining 73, and get rid of the train PDQ.

I called the "boss" at Crewe and asked if 37675 would be the most suitable replacement to go with 73128 (I think it was). and sent drivers out to do moves. The 73s were split and the remaining 73 was sent up the north end of the yard, the crossed over and run to the south end via the upside. 37675 was fired up on the holding sidings and brought off the holding siding ready to back up on the train, with 73128 coupling onto it to lead via Aston.

It then became clear that the derailed 73131 was locking up all the track circuits on the receptions and preventing the fresh power from reengining the train. I got another driver to go over to the holding sidings and fire up 58028 and drop this onto the north end of the train, so it could be hauled up to the north end. so that the locos could be dropped onto the train via the "middle".

IIRC we got the train away from Bescot a smidge over 60 mins late which was pretty good in the circumstances.

So yes, 58028 moved the train within the yard complex but 37675 was the loco that replaced the derailed ED.