• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Wortley Curve West Yorkshire

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Egg Centric

Anyone fancy putting a bid in as a forum? If guide price is only £15k then assuming it's £20k after fees I'll put up £5k of that, it could be a laugh and I don't think you'd lose any money.

Would also ensure in the meantime that no development occurs preventing reinstatement in the future.

leytongabriel

Anyone fancy putting a bid in as a forum? If guide price is only £15k then assuming it's £20k after fees I'll put up £5k of that, it could be a laugh and I don't think you'd lose any money.

Would also ensure in the meantime that no development occurs preventing reinstatement in the future.
Great idea!

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
What’s the potential reuse case of the curve? I’ve seen a bit about it online but unsure why it’s controversial to sell it off.

D6130

Established Member
What’s the potential reuse case of the curve? I’ve seen a bit about it online but unsure why it’s controversial to sell it off.
For potential direct services from Bradford to Doncaster and London, avoiding Leeds. Very unlikely to be viable in this day and age TBH.

snowball

Established Member
This has had some discussion in the last couple of days in another thread:

Neptune

Established Member
Is this yet another of those ‘there used to be a railway there so it needs putting back even though nobody has missed it for the last 40 years and nobody really seemed to know about it’?

bluenoxid

Established Member
Wortley curve regularly comes up with one of those axe to grind positions because BR appears to have not followed the correct closure process for it in the mid eighties.

As the rail network stands, restoration of the curve is not the greatest idea. Both of the lines are relatively busy and they join the same pair of tracks into Leeds station. Creating a move that in the case of Bradford to south would block out this entire pair of tracks for 4-5 minutes seems to be a really silly thing to do.

If the rail network is reorganised segregating fast Bradford, Manchester and London trains from the current network, there might be an argument that the land could be of use but I would argue for connecting a station built in this area rather than a chord.

If WYCA wants to purchase it and hold the responsibility of maintaining land, then go for it. Potentially, they could use the land and other purchases to improve walking links for Wortley and Gelderd Road.

Iskra

Established Member
There’s already an operable curve that avoids Leeds station on the Wakefield-Bradford routes, and it barely sees any use…

Brissle Girl

Established Member

I did read the site has Japanese Knotweed so I wouldn’t touch it with a bargepole, as you could suddenly find yourself liable for some hefty liability related costs from adjacent landowners.

mike57

Established Member
The 'guide price' seems pretty low, c£5k per acre, but what would you do with it. Its also worth noting that auctions often state a very low guide price in order to generate interest/publicity, I have seen the same thing with basket case properties, and they make quite a bit more than the guide price. It often means a low reserve, as in owner wants to dump it, so will get the best price they can whilst making sure it sells. I wonder if the Japanese Knotweed has anything to do with it?

quantinghome

Established Member
Wortley curve regularly comes up with one of those axe to grind positions because BR appears to have not followed the correct closure process for it in the mid eighties.

As the rail network stands, restoration of the curve is not the greatest idea. Both of the lines are relatively busy and they join the same pair of tracks into Leeds station. Creating a move that in the case of Bradford to south would block out this entire pair of tracks for 4-5 minutes seems to be a really silly thing to do.

If the rail network is reorganised segregating fast Bradford, Manchester and London trains from the current network, there might be an argument that the land could be of use but I would argue for connecting a station built in this area rather than a chord.

If WYCA wants to purchase it and hold the responsibility of maintaining land, then go for it. Potentially, they could use the land and other purchases to improve walking links for Wortley and Gelderd Road.

Acknowledging the operational difficulties, nevertheless given the price of the land it seems a no-brainer for WYCA or a local council to purchase for potential future use.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
I wonder why they are selling it now. Seems very odd. Maybe the Japanese Knotweed is the issue- always good to sell the liability on to someone else.

There’s already an operable curve that avoids Leeds station on the Wakefield-Bradford routes, and it barely sees any use…
That's because it comes from the Kirkgate line and goes right across the throat of Leeds station...

Creating a move that in the case of Bradford to south would block out this entire pair of tracks for 4-5 minutes seems to be a really silly thing to do.
I'm not sure it would- the line appears to be long enough to accommodate a full-length Azuma so a train could wait in the curve to avoid conflicting moves.

Not that I ever see a future where a Bradford-London train avoiding Leeds would ever make financial sense. But I don't see that operationally it would be a problem.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
I'm not sure it would- the line appears to be long enough to accommodate a full-length Azuma so a train could wait in the curve to avoid conflicting moves.
Which would further reduce the already minimal time saving compared to just serving Leeds and reversing.
As I said in the other thread, if the curve was still there I wouldn't suggest removing it... but I fail to see any benefit from restoring it now. If it was still in place it wouldn't be getting much use, probably a once-a-week parliamentary and the occasional empty stock working.

Iskra

Established Member
I wonder why they are selling it now. Seems very odd. Maybe the Japanese Knotweed is the issue- always good to sell the liability on to someone else.

That's because it comes from the Kirkgate line and goes right across the throat of Leeds station...

Not that I ever see a future where a Bradford-London train avoiding Leeds would ever make financial sense. But I don't see that operationally it would be a problem.
And it makes zero sense to avoid Leeds; the main source of passenger demand and connections in West Yorkshire.

quantinghome

Established Member
It's owned by Railway Paths whose remit is developing old railway alignments as footpaths and cycleways. So it's surplus to their requirements and I guess they see it as a liability. TBH it's probably better off owned by someone else.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
And it makes zero sense to avoid Leeds; the main source of passenger demand and connections in West Yorkshire.
That's not why the curve at Holbeck isn't used by passenger trains though.

Which would further reduce the already minimal time saving compared to just serving Leeds and reversing.

The time saving would be more than minimal, the LNER trains are scheduled to take around ten minutes to reverse in Leeds.

But there almost certainly won't ever be enough traffic to justify not going into Leeds and reversing. Especially as the Wortley curve used to connect to the Interchange line, not the line to Forster Square/Harrogate.

As I say, I don't ever see a future where the curve would be needed. But that's a business decision and not an operational/infrastructure decision. And one doesn't always follow the other- look at the money spent on the Castlefield curve for one train an hour in each direction...

Doctor Fegg

Established Member
It's owned by Railway Paths whose remit is developing old railway alignments as footpaths and cycleways. So it's surplus to their requirements and I guess they see it as a liability. TBH it's probably better off owned by someone else.

In particular, their latest annual report says:
During 2022-23, the Charity conducted a strategic review. It identified that over the past twenty-five years it has brought nearly all its assets into use for public benefit. It considers these assets are now safe from the threat of abandonment or demolition. Whilst the property portfolio continues to yield an income through easements and marginal sales the Charity will continue to operate. However, the Charity now runs a significant public transport asset and views the future funding and management of that asset as part of the national infrastructure responsibility of the State.

So there's a certain amount of "clearing the decks" going on, I think.

Grumpy

I think it is a little brave suggesting that there wont ever be enough traffic to justify not going into Leeds. Who at the time predicted the rapid growth in traffic in the years following privatisation (from whatever causes) or more recently the structural changes in commuting post -Covid? .Nobody knows the future. It's a case of imagining some likely scenarios and then best positioning to meet the one which emerges.

I recall that in early Deltic days there was a morning express from Bradford to KX serving New Pudsey and Westgate via the Wortley Curve, with a separate train non stop from Leeds and running through the centre tracks at Westgate. A faster service for all concerned. Perhaps if traffic did grow in future this might be attractive. Perhaps in such a case people might be posting on this forum in 25 years their astonishment that a potentially useful bit of infrastructure was virtually given away for such a trivial sum

deltic08

On Moderation
I think it is a little brave suggesting that there wont ever be enough traffic to justify not going into Leeds. Who at the time predicted the rapid growth in traffic in the years following privatisation (from whatever causes) or more recently the structural changes in commuting post -Covid? .Nobody knows the future. It's a case of imagining some likely scenarios and then best positioning to meet the one which emerges.

I recall that in early Deltic days there was a morning express from Bradford to KX serving New Pudsey and Westgate via the Wortley Curve, with a separate train non stop from Leeds and running through the centre tracks at Westgate. A faster service for all concerned. Perhaps if traffic did grow in future this might be attractive. Perhaps in such a case people might be posting on this forum in 25 years their astonishment that a potentially useful bit of infrastructure was virtually given away for such a trivial sum

Just think of all those trackbeds built on since 1970 where reinstatement would be done now if the trackbed was intact and free of development.
Cross Gates-Wetherby would be one and Otley giving a Leeds-Horsforth-Pool-Otley-Menston-Leeds circular route. Every settlement on this and the Wetherby line has more than trebled since the decision was taken to close in 1963. Even enough potential passengers for an hourly Harrogate-Otley-Guiseley-Bradford FS train avoiding and changing at congested Leeds.

Last edited:

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member

Thing is, the events that would justify a service not serving Leeds aren't just a sudden increase in demand to Bradford- it would also need a significant drop in demand to Leeds. As things stand, Leeds is the dominant force in the region and that isn't going to change any time soon. This curve isn't going to turn Bradford into a powerhouse, regardless of how much a reversal at Leeds might hurt the delicate feelings of Bradford councillors. As a West Yorkshire resident I'd rather the various councils from the five local authorities worked together on the mayor's plan for sorting out buses and maybe even a proper Metro, rather than competing with each other for imagined prestige and pushing vanity projects like the ridiculous "Bradford Gateway" Station.

Grumpy

Thing is, the events that would justify a service not serving Leeds aren't just a sudden increase in demand to Bradford- it would also need a significant drop in demand to Leeds.
You've missed the point. The inference was an increase in traffic from the whole of West Yorkshire, not just Bradford. Growth from Leeds might be such that it filled trains on its own.

fishwomp

Thing is, the events that would justify a service not serving Leeds aren't just a sudden increase in demand to Bradford- it would also need a significant drop in demand to Leeds. As things stand, Leeds is the dominant force in the region and that isn't going to change any time soon.
Right. That's the point. Once the formation is gone to housing or whatever, it's gone. Changes we can't predict are precisely that, unpredictable. Keeping the ownership of the trackbed protects things we can't and don't expect.

Who would have thought that someone would build a new line from London to Birmingham? Or that the Borders Railway would reopen, or Leven, or that someone might want to link Oxford and Cambridge again, or Oxford and Milton Keynes. Indeed, who'd have predicted Milton Keynes or many a new town would have been created - that is the kind of unexpected thing that can happen, as would be a new factory/warehouse/container terminal between Leeds and Bradford.

Closer to home, the Bradley curve and Greetland curve saw very little use until the 2000 reopening of Hudds-Bradford directs - they could've lifted and sold those too way back if they'd wanted to bring in a paltry bit of cash...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Beeching_cuts_service_reopenings would be worth a read.

This curve isn't going to turn Bradford into a powerhouse,
No-one's suggesting that (bar the odd politician) - everyone has been saying just leave it as is..

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
You've missed the point. The inference was an increase in traffic from the whole of West Yorkshire, not just Bradford. Growth from Leeds might be such that it filled trains on its own.
But growth from Leeds is of no relevance to the retention of this curve. If Bradford has some sort of economic boom which means a more frequent London service is viable, this can be adequately served by extending Leeds services- not by diverting those services away from Leeds entirely.
Closer to home, the Bradley curve and Greetland curve saw very little use until the 2000 reopening of Hudds-Bradford directs - they could've lifted and sold those too way back if they'd wanted to bring in a paltry bit of cash...
Whilst those curves were never officially "closed", you'd have struggled to use them between about 1985 and 2000 as they had trees growing in the four-foot!

But those curves aren't a like-for-like comparison. Reopening those allowed much shorter journey times between the respective towns compared with going via Leeds or sitting in a traffic jam. They also restored trains to Brighouse (and would have done so to Elland, but that's another story). The Wortley curve would save around twelve minutes at the expense of skipping the main transport hub in the region. It wouldn't open up any new markets that can't already be served by reversing services at Leeds (as was the plan for the Nottinghams).
No-one's suggesting that (bar the odd politician) - everyone has been saying just leave it as is..
If people are saying it shouldn't be sold off, it must be with at least some aspiration for it to be reinstated at some point, otherwise what's the point?

If was a Bradford ratepayer, I'd want the council to be working on more useful improvements such as restoring the frequencies out of Forster Square, not on a curve of track that hasn't been any use since loco-hauled services were the norm.

On the other hand, if it's being sold off so cheaply perhaps Bradford Council could put in a bid themselves...

Last edited:

Egg Centric

I did read the site has Japanese Knotweed so I wouldn’t touch it with a bargepole, as you could suddenly find yourself liable for some hefty liability related costs from adjacent landowners.

*IF* we were gonna do it as a forum collective of some kind then I agree, absolutely we wouldn't do it in our own names - would have to do as some kind of limited liability thing.

No one else appears to be drunk enough to join though (and I have to sober up from tomorrow as will be back at work) so I think it isn't happening - not long left to incorporate everything etc...

Established Member

How has the line been abandoned at all if the correct closure process was not followed? If this was not done legally then surely reinstatement is compulsory? I note that it was extant in the representation of the area in the mid 80s found on Train Sim World.

I have actually been on a train that made an awkward reversing move where the two lines converge, blocking both while the driver changed ends to continue from Bradford to Wakefield, when it would otherwise have used the curve without stopping. Surely that would have been a better option.
That is the Leeds avoiding line of the Midland, which was intended for non-stop trains from St Pancras to reach the Settle - Carlisle, while fouling the Leeds station throat, whether capacity exists to do so or not.

This is the Leeds avoiding line of the GNR, which is intended for trains from Bradford (Exchange/Interchange) and New Pudsey to use to reach Outwood, Wakefield Westgate and then onto other destinations such as Doncaster, Peterborough and Kings Cross, but perhaps other local stations for example towards Knottingley.

Are we going to argue which of these propositions is more sensible?
But Leeds station is already at capacity, that is it is not possible to accommodate any more trains at Leeds and if additional connectivity is desired, either locally between Bradford and Wakefield, or between Bradford and Kings Cross, it cannot be provided either by reversing additional trains, or expecting additional passengers to change at Leeds onto unreliable, or already crowded connections.

As we know Leeds is such a massive traffic draw, effort should be taken to encourage non-Leeds passengers not to change at Leeds, by providing new Leeds-avoiding trains, as has been done recently with the reinstatement of through running between Castleford and York, so as not to contribute to overcrowding either on trains to Leeds, or at Leeds station itself and afford themselves a more comfortable journey.
Exactly. Who’s to say that (especially without HS2) an ECML service from Leeds couldn’t be filled with calls at Leeds and Doncaster only, leaving no capacity for passengers for Wakefield, or connecting for Bradford? In this case, a separate train starting from Bradford and calling at New Pudsey, Wakefield Westgate and perhaps another station such as Outwood, Pontefract Monkhill or Knottingley wouldn’t load well by Doncaster?

These expresses could then be supplemented by an all day service providing local connectivity between Bradford and Wakefield avoiding Leeds, in the same way as the new service already connects Huddersfield, Wakefield and York avoiding Leeds. You could perhaps extend the Huddersfield - Bradford services to Wakefield, Knottingley or Doncaster via the curve.
*IF* we were gonna do it as a forum collective of some kind then I agree, absolutely we wouldn't do it in our own names - would have to do as some kind of limited liability thing.

No one else appears to be drunk enough to join though (and I have to sober up from tomorrow as will be back at work) so I think it isn't happening - not long left to incorporate everything etc...
I wouldn’t actually mind having a stake in the ownership in order to veto development on the trackbed, although not sole ownership.

I don’t see it being particularly useful for non-railway use with where it is, but the most northerly section bounded by the line to Bradford could easily be filled with a few houses (which could easily be located elsewhere, on non-railway land) rendering the entire formation unusable.

If it is not to be reinstated, would expansion of the park be possible? I have seen examples of green spaces absorbing adjacent sections of railway land. Also, if it is found that the line was closed unlawfully, what would that mean for any development that may have been built on the trackbed?

Last edited:

bluenoxid

Established Member
That is the Leeds avoiding line of the Midland, which was intended for non-stop trains from St Pancras to reach the Settle - Carlisle, while fouling the Leeds station throat, whether capacity exists to do so or not.

This is the Leeds avoiding line of the GNR, which is intended for trains from Bradford (Exchange/Interchange) and New Pudsey to use to reach Outwood, Wakefield Westgate and then onto other destinations such as Doncaster, Peterborough and Kings Cross, but perhaps other local stations for example towards Knottingley.

Are we going to argue which of these propositions is more sensible?
The most sensible proposition is the one currently with maintained track on it that can actually facilitate the journey that your train wants to make.

How has the line been abandoned at all if the correct closure process was not followed? If this was not done legally then surely reinstatement is compulsory? I note that it was extant in the representation of the area in the mid 80s found on Train Sim World.

I have actually been on a train that made an awkward reversing move where the two lines converge, blocking both while the driver changed ends to continue from Bradford to Wakefield, when it would otherwise have used the curve without stopping. Surely that would have been a better option.

I don’t know the ins and outs but I expect that the case was either thrown out or not pursued because it was a technicality. Prosecuting the law is mostly built around proving that a party has done wrong rather than maintaining a status quo.

There is no need for Bradford passengers to change trains if the decision to operate a direct service is made. Two trains each way are scheduled to do that from Bradford at Leeds station every day.

mike57

Established Member
There is no need for Bradford passengers to change trains if the decision to operate a direct service is made.
And there is the Grand Central services for those who want a direct connection, which will probably be cheaper as well, at the expense of a slightly longer journey time. (Looks to be 15min ish penalty over a change in Leeds, and 30 mins over a direct via Leeds LNER service)

Meerkat

Established Member
If rail travel has become popular enough to justify direct Bradford trains then surely there isn’t going to be capacity for the two flat junctions at either end of the curve?

fishwomp

If rail travel has become popular enough to justify direct Bradford trains then surely there isn’t going to be capacity for the two flat junctions at either end of the curve?
It hasn't, yet! The point is potential but unforeseeable future not today - low cost to hold onto it today, impossible/stupid cost in future if not.

Earlier someone suggested the Whitehall curve as an alternative - which blocks even more of Leeds when used.. but I guess that could be ameliorated by reopening the viaduct line, also in an unforeseeable future. How much will they flog the viaduct to this forum for ;)