• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Would it be better to declare Beeching closures 'Damnatio memoriae'

Status
Not open for further replies.

HSTEd

Veteran Member
Perhaps it would be better to obliterate all pre Beeching maps of the railways, and destroy all remaining surface featurse of alignments, so it was if they had never existed.

That way we wouldn't end up with people constantly trying to reopen them, even though today you wouldn't build a railway on these routes, even if you wanted to reach the same stations.

(Earthworks are cheap, gradients are easy and land take is expensive)

[This is a thread created at the suggestion of the mods, and is not entirely serious about obliterating them from history, but its a nice rhetorical flourish, so I've just included the original post above]

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Yes and no. Some Beeching closures were a good idea. In others, the situation has changed since the line closed. For example Skelmersdale didn't justify a railway in the 1960s, but then the New Town was built and now it definitely does. Similarly if Newport Pagnell was still open it might not be super profitable, but I bet its figures would beat many rural lines that remained open.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Many of the real "basket case" routes closed (at least to passengers) long before Beeching was commissioned to write his report. With hindsight the restructuring should have focused more on operational savings and efficiencies rather than simply a reduction of mileage. For example paytrains, DMUs, and an end to "common carrier" obligations for freight which hamstrung the railway so severely in the post-war years.

I agree that we should focus less on putting back what we lost, and more on building what we need today. Part of that shift in mindset means we need to stop seeing Beeching as the big bad bogeyman. Marples on the other hand...

Journeyman

Established Member
No, no! 'He who forgets the past makes the same mistakes in future'.
The problem we have now, though, is that we're scared to close things that aren't meeting the needs of people. There's loads of stations that are very hard to justify keeping open (Teesside Airport, anyone?) but we're far too scared to do the right thing and get rid of them.

I'm also not convinced Beeching made all that many mistakes.

telstarbox

Established Member
Do some of the closed lines now have a case for reopening to serve modern needs - probably.
Would it have been politically justifiable to keep them open between the 60s and now - probably not.

Journeyman

Established Member
I agree that we should focus less on putting back what we lost, and more on building what we need today. Part of that shift in mindset means we need to stop seeing Beeching as the big bad bogeyman.
Absolutely! As has been pointed out, people are obsessed with putting Edinburgh to Carlisle back because it used to be there, but no-one ever suggests Glasgow to Newcastle because there was never a line there in the first place. Ditto the enthusiasts who insist we reopen the GC rather than build HS2.

I was watching a YouTube video about the Bluebell Railway recently, and dozens of the comments were raging about Beeching and how evil he was, but very few people pointed out that the line was closed and reopened - twice! - before Beeching went anywhere near the rail network. People seem to think railways never closed before he came along.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
The problem we have now, though, is that we're scared to close things that aren't meeting the needs of people. There's loads of stations that are very hard to justify keeping open (Teesside Airport, anyone?) but we're far too scared to do the right thing and get rid of them.
Ah, but it would be the “thin end of the wedge” - we had quite a few such objections in the Newhaven Marine thread...

Journeyman

Established Member
Ah, but it would be the “thin end of the wedge” - we had quite a few such objections in the Newhaven Marine thread...
Likewise locally to me, when apparently the suggested closure of Breich (approx. 150 journeys a year) provoked an "outcry" and forced Network Rail to spend two million quid rebuilding it. Ridiculous.

steamybrian

Established Member
I am often asked by many friends about the Beeching report and in my opinion....

About 33% of the closures were "basket" cases (as suggested above) and surprised they survived into the 1960s.
About one third of the closures that closed should not have closed if economies been undertaken or accounts re-examined. Some closures were based on some very debatable accounts.
A small percentage were duplicated routes or stations which needed rationalising.
A small percentage of the closures have reopened with others being considered due to increased housing development, etc.

Overall the plan was not all bad had some good pointers such as block trains rather than wagonload.
Emphasis on fast intercity expresses.

I agree that now trying to close "uneconomic" stations is ridiculously expensive and two examples are quoted above as "basket cases" such as Breich and Teeside Airport. Others such as Shippea Hill must cost more to maintain than receipts.

HSTEd

Veteran Member
My own view on Beeching's failings was an over-focus on "routes" rather than track.
If you look at the track available before the report, we could have got a much more useful network by closing different options, especially around some major cities where terminals appeared to be closed simply because they werent from the right pre-grouping company.

However, the problem we have now is people are stuck in this mentality where there is a sacred railway network that can never be altered, and all we can hope to do is retrieve lost fragments of it. Nothing new can be created.

Journeyman

Established Member
About one third of the closures that closed should not have closed if economies been undertaken or accounts re-examined. Some closures were based on some very debatable accounts.
Whilst I agree with this to some extent, it was problematic because the unions opposed "basic railway" measures as a threat to their members' jobs (ironic, really, given that the effects of closure were far worse), and it needs to be remembered that accurate accounting information wasn't easily obtained. There's been a lot of criticism over the methods used to survey train loadings, for example, but that really was the best available at the time, and the instant stats you can now pull out of a computer just weren't available. The stats Beeching had to work with were incredibly crude, but all things considered, I think he had a decent stab at analysing them to the best standards available at the time.

The Beeching Report is now 58 years old, and I think we sometimes forget how drastically the world has changed since then.

especially around some major cities where terminals appeared to be closed simply because they werent from the right pre-grouping company.
I actually think rationalising terminal stations was one of the more sensible things Beeching did, and is something BR (and even the Big Four) should have addressed earlier. Although it's occasionally left us with capacity problems, it's solved a lot of issues and made the railway easier to use. Do we really want to go back to the days where it was frequently necessary to get off a train at Edinburgh Waverley and change onto a service from Princes Street, which involved schlepping your luggage, kids etc. up Waverley Steps and half a mile down a very busy street, where the likelihood of being rained/snowed upon was very high?
However, the problem we have now is people are stuck in this mentality where there is a sacred railway network that can never be altered, and all we can hope to do is retrieve lost fragments of it. Nothing new can be created.
Agree completely. We need to get over that. If we need new links between cities, we need to build them from scratch to meet modern needs. We need to get over things like the GC and Woodhead. They've gone. And often for good reason.

Last edited:

steamybrian

Established Member
Going back to one of the original comments about destroying infrastructure after closure.

A few abandoned undisturbed trackbeds closed in the 1960s have seen railways (or light rail/tramways) been opened or reopened and to quote a few- Edinburgh- Tweedbank, Nottingham- Mansfield, Croydon Tramlink, Manchester Tramlink and London Docklands. Another reopening was in London between Blackfriars- Farringdon completely abandoned in the late 1960s reopened in the 1980s and now possibly the biggest success story.
Heritage Railways have been able to expand to restore long abandoned branch lines with others still in progress long term and here in the South East are two examples- Bluebell Railway (Horsted Keynes- Haywards Heath), KESR Bodiam-Robertsbridge.
There have been many miles of abandoned trackbeds that have been turned into cycle paths and footpaths thus keeping roads for cars. This avoid the hazardous interface between cars- pedestrians and cycles on many narrow country lanes.
Even HS2 is following a few miles of the former GC route and others.

HSTEd

Veteran Member
I actually think rationalising terminal stations was one of the more sensible things Beeching did, and is something BR (and even the Big Four) should have addressed earlier. Although it's occasionally left us with capacity problems, it's solved a lot of issues and made the railway easier to use. Do we really want to go back to the days where it was frequently necessary to get off a train at Edinburgh Waverley and change onto a service from Princes Street, which involved schlepping your luggage, kids etc. up Waverley Steps and half a mile down a very busy street, where the likelihood of being rained/snowed upon was very high?

The problem is a lot of the time it just appears to be mindlessly closing whatever terminus was not built by the Midland, even when the Midland station was demonstrably inferior.

Journeyman

Established Member
The problem is a lot of the time it just appears to be mindlessly closing whatever terminus was not built by the Midland, even when the Midland station was demonstrably inferior.
Not particularly convinced it was partisan. There were lots of issues involved.

tbtc

Veteran Member
Rather than be creative, I'll just re-post what I sat in the other thread:

It'd be interesting to give a newcomer to the UK (or someone who knows nothing about railway history) a map of the current rail routes and see where they felt the gaps in direct services and actual lines was.

You'd presumably get a list that included a number of "new towns" that had minimal rail access like Milton Keynes/ Skelmersdale/ Glenrothes (generally as they were built during the era when rail appeared to be failing - even if there was "a" station it wasn't serving the place fully/ there were no suburban rail services set up so a central station is a long way from houses)

You may get a few places that already had stations but were close to other "bigger" lines (e.g. I could see the logic in a spur off the ECML at Chester le Street down the Wear Valley to serve the city of Sunderland, maybe a link from Oldham to the main trans-pennine line in the direction of Huddersfield, maybe a link from Wrexham to the WCML at Crewe or from Manchester Airport to the WCML at Stockport)

You could have some chords between existing lines (I appreciate that the river/road at Newark mean that there's not much space for a Nottingham - Doncaster chord, but I could see that it would be the kind of thing that some people could argue in favour of, given Nottingham's poor links to the north - maybe a chord from the CLC or the Mid-Cheshire line onto the WCML - maybe something at Nuneaton to permit through Coventry - Leicester services, that kind of thing)

Maybe there'd be suggestions for through trains that wouldn't need any infrastructure improvements (e.g. some places don't have a direct train to a big city around an hour away - given that this is a threshold for regular travel patterns)

It's just so predictable though... Buxton *must* have a direct Derby service (not Stoke, not Macclesfield, not Sheffield, must be Derby), Tavistock and Okehampton *must* have a direct Waterloo service (who cares about whether extending the existing SWR services over more single track is going to make the carefully pathed slots at Waterloo less reliable), Colne *must* have a direct line to Skipton (even though a link to Keighley would be much better if journey times to Leeds are apparently so important)... the only possible "solutions" are re-opening lines that closed a long time ago

If HS2 followed the GC then a lot of the people complaining about it would have been in favour (and the "fifteen minute" time saving for "rich businessmen" would be A Good Thing because it followed the sacred route of our Victorian forefathers)

it was nice to discuss Dumfries - Lockerbie (Glasgow/ Edinburgh) on another thread recently, since it was a genuinely new idea and an attempt to solve an actual problem (maybe not a big enough problem, maybe you'll struggle to actually run any Dumfries - Lockerbie services into Glasgow/ Edinburgh, sure, but at least someone starting with a blank sheet of paper and trying to see if there was a way of solving it without automatically reaching for the long list of lines that closed decades ago.

It feels notable that the people who keep suggesting the same old routes (Tweedbank - Carlisle, Tavistock - Okehampton, Skipton - Colne, Matlock - Buxton, Wisbech - March, Woodhead, Harrogate - Northallerton etc) never seem to suggest anything actually new on other threads. Sometimes I can see that re-opening an old route will be worthwhile (e.g. Ashington, Portishead) but the people who suggest these kind of lines never seem to have the imagination to suggest anything actually new.

For the same reason, it's always Nottingham to Glasgow that gets suggested - never Nottingham to (e.g.) Edinburgh or (e.g.) Hull to Glasgow or anything actually original - because the mentality is to come up with your answer first ("re-open an abandoned route!") and then work backwards to find a question that will give you the answer that you want. Which is why the most recent "Matlock - Buxton" thread inevitably suggested that we must close the East Didsbury Metrolink route so we could run direct London services through to a re-opened Manchester Central... it'd be nice to discuss something with a bit of original thought.

(as for Beeching, I think only a minority of lines that were closed happened as a result of his report - many many lines closed earlier - and other lines continued to be closed afterwards - e.g. he had wanted to keep Woodhead, it stayed open at the time but then BR closed it in the 1980s - I'm sure there are some decisions that look different in hindsight - but I'm not going to take lectures on "mistakes" that he made from the kind of people who can't even accept closure of useless things like Newhaven Marine/ Breich nowadays - if you can't agree with those getting chopped then I think you were always going to complain about any closure made because of Beeching - if you are upset about something like the Weymouth Quay line being replaced then you don't strike me as the kind of objective person who was ever going to agree with any closure ever)

Likewise locally to me, when apparently the suggested closure of Breich (approx. 150 journeys a year) provoked an "outcry" and forced Network Rail to spend two million quid rebuilding it. Ridiculous.

Brecih is a cracking example of the waste that the railway has to put up with because of the mentality that means we have to keep throwing money at what we have and cannot accept closing a station used by one man and his dog

Whilst I agree with this to some extent, it was problematic because the unions opposed "basic railway" measures as a threat to their members' jobs (ironic, really, given that the effects of closure were far worse), and it needs to be remembered that accurate accounting information wasn't easily obtained. There's been a lot of criticism over the methods used to survey train loadings, for example, but that really was the best available at the time, and the instant stats you can now pull out of a computer just weren't available. The stats Beeching had to work with were incredibly crude, but all things considered, I think he had a decent stab at analysing them to the best standards available at the time.

The Beeching Report is now 58 years old, and I think we sometimes forget how drastically the world has changed since then

I'm sure if he had access to the computers and the databases that we have nowadays he'd have made some decisions differently but he had to work with the information available. Maybe some could have been saved if Unions had been more flexible - but that's not his fault (as you say).

The UK has around fifteen million more people now than it did in Beeching's day (and the population travels a lot further for work than it used to), so no wonder the economies of some lines look a lot better now - e.g. the Midland Main Line only had a train every forty five minutes from London to Leicester in the 1980s (it's now four trains per hour but when it was only one train per forty five minutes then no wonder it wasn't economic to keep a second line open from London to Leicester and the GC shut - same goes for a few other parts of the country where there wasn't really sufficient traffic to keep one line open but traffic was shared across two parallel routes)

Agree completely. We need to get over that. If we need new links between cities, we need to build them from scratch to meet modern needs. We need to get over things like the GC and Woodhead. They've gone. And often for good reason.

Agreed - we have complications in the cities that do have more than one central station - Beeching inherited a mess created by nineteenth century speculators and tried to tidy things up - people like to complain about the fact that Birmingham's HS2 station won't be at New Street (it will be slap bang next to Moor Street in the city centre, but people like to exaggerate just how long it'll take people to get between the unfortunately named Curzon Street* and New Street yet the same people are often the ones saying that they wished we had services in other cities split between stations at opposite ends of town (e.g. Nottingham)... I hope I'm not the only one who gets frustrated by the parallels here!

(I say "unfortunately named" because the station entrance and buffers will be at the Queensway end, by More Street, close to the Bullring, but the name suggests it's being built much further away, since Curzon Street itself is much further out of town)

Journeyman

Established Member
Agreed - we have complications in the cities that do have more than one central station - Beeching inherited a mess created by nineteenth century speculators and tried to tidy things up - people like to complain about the fact that Birmingham's HS2 station won't be at New Street (it will be slap bang next to Moor Street in the city centre, but people like to exaggerate just how long it'll take people to get between the unfortunately named Curzon Street* and New Street yet the same people are often the ones saying that they wished we had services in other cities split between stations at opposite ends of town (e.g. Nottingham)... I hope I'm not the only one who gets frustrated by the parallels here!

(I say "unfortunately named" because the station entrance and buffers will be at the Queensway end, by More Street, close to the Bullring, but the name suggests it's being built much further away, since Curzon Street itself is much further out of town)
This is why I get so annoyed by the "Reopen Woodhead" brigade. Although it wasn't originally on Beeching's hitlist, one of the factors behind its closure to passengers in 1970 was an inability to find a way to divert services into Sheffield Midland. There were other reasons behind it, of course, like political pressure to keep the Hope Valley open, but this was a major practical problem that couldn't be solved. If Woodhead had been the only rail route from Manchester to Sheffield, you'd have been dumped at the remote and inconvenient Victoria station, with no other onward rail connections, and it would have caused a lot of issues. If Woodhead were to re-open, you'd still have the same problem now - you'd need to provide a diversion into Midland across a densely populated and highly developed area. If it was too difficult to contemplate in the sixties, I can't see it being much easier now.

Having had a look, short of major construction work in Sheffield city centre, I think you'd have had to take trains off Woodhead at Penistone and run them via Barnsley. It would have made the journey somewhat longer, and required the expense of electrifying that section.

Last edited:

yorksrob

Veteran Member

I'm also not convinced Beeching made all that many mistakes.

Slippery slope though.

As soon as you make it easy for the Establishment to go around closing things, it will go too far.

You can guarantee it.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Slippery slope though.

As soon as you make it easy for the Establishment to go around closing things, it will go too far.

You can guarantee it.

But keep too many and that also becomes an "establishment" kicking ball, wondering why we subsidise the continued operation of so many lightly used stations, detracting from the value of the railway as a whole.

Journeyman

Established Member
Slippery slope though.

You can guarantee it.
But "we can't close anything, ever" is too extreme as well. We're going to have to ask some big questions about value for taxpayer's money in the near future.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
But keep too many and that also becomes an "establishment" kicking ball, wondering why we subsidise the continued operation of so many lightly used stations, detracting from the value of the railway as a whole.

But "we can't close anything, ever" is too extreme as well. We're going to have to ask some big questions about value for taxpayer's money in the near future.

The reality is that most small stations don't have huge running costs anyway.

The Battersby Junctions of this world might not be heavily used, but are important for their communities and need to be shielded from the pressure of the closure proponants

Ianno87

Veteran Member

The Battersby Junctions of this world might not be heavily used, but are important for their communities and need to be shielded from the pressure of the closure proponants

Not disputing that for a second. But lots of people don't see it like that!

HSTEd

Veteran Member
Honestly it might be better to apply pressure for housebuilding near these lightly used stations to make them not lightly used any more!

Peregrine 4903

Established Member
Honestly it might be better to apply pressure for housebuilding near these lightly used stations to make them not lightly used any more!
Probably not going work for stations such as Egton Bridge which are in national parks.

Glenn1969

Established Member
I would argue Whitby is an example of where they got it wrong in that all its south facing routes closed and a day out by train from most places is nigh on impossible because of the need to go via Middlesbrough first

Queensbury Tunnel (which shut before Beeching), Bradford - Wakefield direct and the Bradford avoiding line are routes that possibly would still be open too for regional connectivity if they hadn't closed before their areas "urbanised" in the late 50s/60s

Journeyman

Established Member

I should make it clear that I'm not advocating any closures. I just think we need to be able to discuss the subject without howls of protest.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I should make it clear that I'm not advocating any closures. I just think we need to be able to discuss the subject without howls of protest.

The "howls of protest" are the antibodies that protect the national railway network against the virus of another closure programme.

Journeyman

Established Member
The "howls of protest" are the antibodies that protect the national railway network against the virus of another closure programme.
I think that's over-egging the pudding a bit. Nothing should be beyond discussion, just because of what happened 60 years ago.

alistairlees

Established Member
I don't really get the obsession with Beeching. The only analysis that should happen is "what size and shape network do we want to have / can we justify?" then go and do it. Whether it existed before and was closed by Beeching, or not, is (or should be) irrelevent. I don't see anyone in the roads lobby lamenting all the Roman roads that no longer are roads, and asking for them to be re-opened. They just identify what the size and shape of the road network should be and go and do it.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I don't really get the obsession with Beeching. The only analysis that should happen is "what size and shape network do we want to have / can we justify?" then go and do it. Whether it existed before and was closed by Beeching, or not, is (or should be) irrelevent. I don't see anyone in the roads lobby lamenting all the Roman roads that no longer are roads, and asking for them to be re-opened. They just identify what the size and shape of the road network should be and go and do it.

I think that the size and shape of the network should be what we have now, with some significant additions.

Most of these will be reopenings because there are very few towns of note that haven't had a railway station in the past.

Status
Not open for further replies.