• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

WWII Bomb on the Ilkley line

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigman

Quite a few trains have been cancelled due to unexploded WWII ordnance somewhere between Guiseley and Ilkley.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mat17

Isn't this the second such WWII bomb to resurface within the last week? There was one out Goole way near a major road the other day?

DarloRich

Veteran Member
The bomb season is giving us a full harvest this year ;)

( there as one blown up at Goole over the weekend)

It can be a massive PITA dealing with this kind of thing. Getting the army guys there and letting them investigate and decide what to do takes as long as it takes. We found one on a building site I was involved in. That was a fun morning for the JCB driver! It was a dud but it took a long time to decide.

Last edited:

skyhigh

Established Member
Isn't this the second such WWII bomb to resurface within the last week? There was one out Goole way near a major road the other day?
Third one. This one, the one at Goole and one near Weeton the other day. Must be the weather for it...

MadMac

There was one found near High Street in Glasgow some years ago right at the evening peak. Army had to come from Edinburgh so took some time to arrive, whereupon they quickly identified it as an underground storage tank which was not recorded on any plans…..

Spartacus

Established Member

Doing a very good impression of a real mortar though, I believe X-rays were needed to confirm. There was a grenade discovered a few months ago at St Athan, that turned out to be very live, close to either current or former military housing. Bet there’s been a few questions been asked about that one.

They’re discovered a lot during vegetation clearance under years of undergrowth. Almost as common as magnet fishers dragging out an old Webley! One can only guess at what was found in the days when linesides were kept well back to prevent fires.

Pigeon

We found one on a building site I was involved in. That was a fun morning for the JCB driver! It was a dud but it took a long time to decide.

"I didn't know what it was, so I hit it with me shovel", said Paddy, walking into the site office with a mucky old bomb in his arms and depositing it on the site agent's desk...

bazzoh

Numerous first hand accounts of members of the public, visiting police or fire stations with live devices in boxes having discovered said items whilst gardening, asking what they should do with it.
Even better are the accounts of the responses they got!

DarloRich

Veteran Member
"I didn't know what it was, so I hit it with me shovel", said Paddy, walking into the site office with a mucky old bomb in his arms and depositing it on the site agent's desk...

Someone pulled a mortar bomb out of the river in Bedford the other week while magnet fishing.......................

Status
Not open for further replies.