• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

X Country trains cancelled west of Exeter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

D1009

Established Member
Actually one of the first test runs of the IEP to Plymouth happened to coincide with similar conditions as tonight at Dawlish. There was no problem.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
That is good.
Unfortunately we're still stuck with Voyagers too :)

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
And again during the evening today. Voyagers cancelled, HSTs run through. May be a little over cautious today as, although the Inshore Waters forecast states strong/gale force winds, the wind itself is changing directions to come from south and then west rather than from the east.

urbophile

Established Member
The title of this thread sounds like one of those Meaning of Liff definitions. 'I'd wrap up well if I were you, it's right dawlish weather today.'

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Glancing at the Western Morning News today, some clown from Cross Country said that as their trains travelled all the way from Penzance to Aberdeen and they only ever encountered this problem at Dawlish, then it was OK to ask their passengers to transfer to GWR services at Exeter or wherever! Given the huge ticket prices being charged for most journeys, this seemed to me a foot-in-mouth comment. Was he saying that perhaps if the North Sea suddenly engulfed Alnmouth as well. then perhaps there might be cause for complaint

BestWestern

Established Member
Glancing at the Western Morning News today, some clown from Cross Country said that as their trains travelled all the way from Penzance to Aberdeen and they only ever encountered this problem at Dawlish, then it was OK to ask their passengers to transfer to GWR services at Exeter or wherever! Given the huge ticket prices being charged for most journeys, this seemed to me a foot-in-mouth comment. Was he saying that perhaps if the North Sea suddenly engulfed Alnmouth as well. then perhaps there might be cause for complaint

An alternative spin might have been to suggest it was providing welcome relief to masses of passengers wedged into vestibules for half the length of the country! :lol: Indeed he might have commented that actually the displaced punters should think themselves lucky XC don't charge them a 'comfort levy' for being offered the last stretch of their journey in comparative luxury!

*The above sarcasm is based on the GWR being an HST, and does not apply when squeezed into a 2+3 seated 150/1 :D*

Master29

Established Member
Seems XC rely on GWR when the weather goes breasts up at Dawlish. Another notch in the voyagers are faeces thread material.

infobleep

Veteran Member
Would GWR make a lot of money from XC have to offload their passengers on to them? XC having to pay of course and indirectly the passengers.

Established Member
I wonder if XC get penalised for the cancellations or do they try and argue that the problem is the weather rather than their unsuitable traction

Knowing Arriva as well as I do (from a passenger perspective)....

Established Member
Would GWR make a lot of money from XC have to offload their passengers on to them? XC having to pay of course and indirectly the passengers.

It's in GWR's interest to take the XC passengers and have the voyagers terminate at Exeter.

infobleep

Veteran Member
It's in GWR's interest to take the XC passengers and have the voyagers terminate at Exeter.
Why is it in their interests? In case one breaks down. Surely if that happened XC would have to pick up the costs.

najaB

Veteran Member
Why is it in their interests? In case one breaks down. Surely if that happened XC would have to pick up the costs.
True. But they would still have irate passengers to deal with. It's not *all* about the money.

Established Member
Good luck to anyone using XC services tonight and tomorrow west of Exeter. 1V64 & 1V66 caped at Exeter tonight, and 1V68 due to be delayed awaiting tide to drop. Also looking like no Voyager services until about 1400 tomorrow along the sea wall. Still awaiting the amended train plan.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Good luck to anyone using XC services tonight and tomorrow west of Exeter. 1V64 & 1V66 caped at Exeter tonight, and 1V68 due to be delayed awaiting tide to drop. Also looking like no Voyager services until about 1400 tomorrow along the sea wall. Still awaiting the amended train plan.

A little surprising as the Inshore Waters forecast states winds south/south westerly rather than from the vulnerable east.

Established Member
Well amended plan is out and looks like no full cancellations just starting/terminating at Exeter

dave87016

Established Member
Yep just as I'm travelling back home in morning thanks cross country I'm always jinxed when i travel ;)

Established Member
Re the 1007 Paignton to Manchester
This is the info I have

Customers are to travel forward on Great Western 2F21 10:21 Paignton - Exeter St Davids then CrossCountry 1S47 11:24 Exeter St Davids - Birmingham New St and then CrossCountry 1M45 14:31 Birmingham New St - Manchester service.

Status
Not open for further replies.