• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Xc 170s

Status
Not open for further replies.

baz2277

Hi all

Random question..did the 170s have internal sliding doors at one point? On one now and there are covered over 'sensors' under the digital displays plus what looks like a metal cover over something at waist height where a 'door' button could be...answers on a postcard!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Merle Haggard

Established Member
I think I recollect that the first (MML) 170s had 'push buttons' to open the vestibule doors but they were dummy. If you tried to press them, though, you interrupted a sensor ray from a ceiling mounted lens, having the same effect as pushing a real button without the need for wiring it.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Hi all

Random question..did the 170s have internal sliding doors at one point? On one now and there are covered over 'sensors' under the digital displays plus what looks like a metal cover over something at waist height where a 'door' button could be...answers on a postcard!
The Central Trains ones certainly did on the centre part of each coach.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Hi all

Was it one of the 3-car units 170101-110? These were originally Midland Mainline units.

These ten were extended from 2-car units (out of their total of 17 units).

The extension saw a centre car of type MCMB (Motor Composite Minature Buffet) inserted into these ten sets.

These had improved First Class of 2+1 configuration located in the vehicle centre beteeen the two sets of doors with full partitions and bi-parting sliding doors divinding First Class from the door vestibules. The remainder of the vehicle had Standard Class seating and a small buffer counter in one end. The original First Class areas in these units driving cars was then declassified.

The remaining ten units retained their original 2+2 First Class behind each cab.

baz2277

Thanks for your quick replies...this was on a 2+3 170 out of New Street to Burton. I had a 2+3 going down at lunchtime...almost a decent service!!

hexagon789

Veteran Member
...almost a decent service!!
I think we can all relate! ;)

Thanks for your quick replies...this was on a 2+3 170 out of New Street to Burton. I had a 2+3 going down at lunchtim
Do you know the unit or service so the unit can be 'looked up' on RTT?

And was it a centre car you noticed the former partitions in?

I believe all the XC 170s have the usual partitions for their current First Class, but with the varied origins of their fleet I think there are other units (bar the ex-MM 3-car) that may have part-removed partitions as well.

LowLevel

Established Member
Yes, they had various combinations depending on where the unit came from but except for the one into first class (which were added to the ex Central Trains units) they were all removed at various points in their life. They played up and got in the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.