• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

XC HST Diagrams from December?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MCR247

Established Member
Are they staying the same or are they changing. If the latter, then does anyone know what they'll be?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

route:oxford

Established Member
I keep hoping an HST is put on the Sunday 13.33 service from Edinburgh to Reading. I'm sure even a 47 and DVT could keep up with the timings - last time I was on it there was a 20 minute wait at Newcastle a further 10 minute wait some point between Doncaster and it sat at Birmingham New Street for 10 minutes too.

f they decide to go with only 2 sets whats gonna happen with the other 2 sets surely they wont lie around all week till weekends?:roll:

richa2002

Established Member
f they decide to go with only 2 sets whats gonna happen with the other 2 sets surely they wont lie around all week till weekends?:roll:
Outside of London, it's a bit of a fallacy to say the fewer people travel on a weekend. I'd say Cross Country serves the sort of routes which attract weekend trippers. Just look at how busy trains are on National Express East Coast on Saturdays and especially Sundays!

i did a lot of X country HSTs recently on an ALR and they seemed busy all week just different punters on Saturdays holiday people mainly. Dont see why they should not stick with the same 4 now......One thing they could change is having a set at laira for an earlier morning service instead of 1221 being the first HST. Surely Aberdeen-Penzance warrants the extra capacity of an HST?

Pumbaa

Established Member
What's the difference in track charges between a Voyager and an HST? ;)
And yes, XC does need to make up money somewhere ;)

Drsatan

Established Member
That's because of track access charges. XC probably pay less to use the 220s/221s because they're RA2 while an HST power car is RA5

Pumbaa

Established Member
Aye. Two points relating to track access charges really.

HSTs are 2+8? Well a Voyager at 4/5 cars is going to cheaper. Secondly, an HST loco is 70 tonnes, a good 20 tonnes heavier than a Voyager car, and 10 tonnes heavier than the heaviest 221 car.

And I thought HSTs were RA6? (edit: TRC has RA6. Can anyone confirm this or the proper RA)?

43034 The Black Horse

Established Member
They're 5. No offence to Mr Marsden but I have seen/been told about a lot of duff gen on the site, but probably most of it will be typos

Pumbaa

Established Member
They're 5. No offence to Mr Marsden but I have seen/been told about a lot of duff gen on the site, but probably most of it will be typos

Ta. I've found typos/duff stuff before, so I thought I'd better check! I originally got the RA6 from another site a long time ago... Railway testing maybe? But it's always been in my mind!

Drsatan

Established Member
And I thought HSTs were RA6? (edit: TRC has RA6. Can anyone confirm this or the proper RA)?

The wikipedia article on class 43s said they were RA5. Regardless, trust XC for being such greedy bastards by running Voyagers since they're cheaper even though passengers don't like them...

Status
Not open for further replies.