• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

xc hst to brighton

Status
Not open for further replies.

hello

is there any truth in the rumour i heard that axc are planning on having the first ever hst work into brighton, for the last ever xc service out of brighton in december??

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

David

Established Member
I didn't think that HSTs were passed for the route to Brighton. IIRC they don't have short swing-link bogies which means they can not travel along most of the 3rd rail network.

:?

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I didn't think that HSTs were passed for the route to Brighton. IIRC they don't have short swing-link bogies which means they can not travel along most of the 3rd rail network.

:?
Some do, and are labelled as such... however I have heard that the labels are not always accurate as bogie swaps have taken place and the labels not changed. So I would imagine a full inspection would need to take place and probably some swapping about of vehicles to ensure the entire rake was short swing fitted.

xc170

My dad drove the last HST out of Liverpool Lime street under Virgin XC

Established Member
Somone told me that FGW had most if not all swing bogie sets, why not use one of those sets?, be immensly hellfire to have valentas on one of those sets again.

Established Member
Because FGW are going to lend a set for what reason exactly?

It was only an idea, I would have thought XC would do Bournemouth, Bit easyer seeing as its Reading - Basingstoke - Winchester - Southampton - Brockenhurst and Bournemouth <D... But we will probably only get Voyagers sadly :(

thefab444

Established Member
Yes? Brighton is Kensington Olympia > East Croydon > Gatwick Airport > Haywards Heath > Brighton... or Guildford/Redhill instead of Kensington and East Croydon.

I doubt HSTs will work down to Bournemouth, despite the obvious frothing value.

Turbostar

IIRC, I think HSTs did run briefly at the start to Bournemouth & Poole when Virgin won the XC franchise many moons ago, but soon went over to 47 haulage.

hello

apparently they are going to do it as it was the last ever crosscountry service out of brighton, but the first ever hst to work into/out of brighton, would be hellfire

Julian G

Established Member
apparently they are going to do it as it was the last ever crosscountry service out of brighton, but the first ever hst to work into/out of brighton, would be hellfire

I heard there was some gossips through the net about a HST going that way before

A loco-hauled train would be more appropiate as that what INTERCITY, Virgin XC has been using on the Brighton runs

class 313

Established Member
All seems like froth to me.

I mean, by the time it happens (if it does) It will probably be an MTU set. (Good I hear some of you say!)

But yes, LHCS would be a better choice.

Jim

Established Member
Somone told me that FGW had most if not all swing bogie sets, why not use one of those sets?, be immensly hellfire to have valentas on one of those sets again.

You mean SHORT swing link? I belive FGW do have most, but they are dotted all around, and I belive as already mentioned XC only have LSL.

thefab444

Established Member
HSTs worked to Bournemouth regularily prior to 2003/2004. They are definately cleared. There was also a run with the NMT last year.

The problem is they need to use Short Swing Link sets to, in theory, protect the passengers from being fried. I think the problem with the normal sets is that there is a danger the bogie will come into contact with the 3rd Rail. Same reason why 14x units are banned from SR 3rd, although that is because they bounce too much. Interestingly, they are not banned from Mersey 3rd which IIRC has a lower voltage.

thefab444

Established Member
Someone more technically minded will probably explain it, but I presume the SSL bogies are shorter - and as such don't swing out so much.

Jord

IIRC, I think HSTs did run briefly at the start to Bournemouth & Poole when Virgin won the XC franchise many moons ago, but soon went over to 47 haulage.

I'm sure I saw a picture somewhere of a Virgin Red HST on the Aberdeen - Bournemouth or Bournemouth - Aberdeen run, would this be true?

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I'm sure I saw a picture somewhere of a Virgin Red HST on the Aberdeen - Bournemouth or Bournemouth - Aberdeen run, would this be true?
Yes it is true. I travelled to Bournemouth in October 2002 and got a HST, although that must have been one of the last times a HST did it as it was just after 'Operation Plastic' and I am sure there would not have been any IC livery still around then!

Status
Not open for further replies.