• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

XC salary journey

sktt25

Hi all

Just wondering if anyone is able to please tell me what the salary jumps and numbers are for a train driver at XC. I recently applied and all that it said was 28k during basic training then up to 37k once basic is complete.

I have seen some say on here that top is 65k, some say 59k, others say it's changing due to a wage rise.

Some have said the salary journey takes 3 years, other say 1 year.

Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DJP78

On Moderation
£28k during rules
£37,500 once passed out on rules & traction, but with no core routes
£55k with traction & a core route (within approx 10-14 months of start date)
£60k commencement year 2
£65k commencement year 3

Far as aware, pay rises hinge on a resolution to the ongoing pay dispute

SuperS16v

£28k during rules
£37,500 once passed out on rules & traction, but with no core routes
£55k with traction & a core route (within approx 10-14 months of start date)
£60k commencement year 2
£65k commencement year 3

Far as aware, pay rises hinge on a resolution to the ongoing pay dispute

Thanks, also was wondering this too. So you essentially go to £37.5k once you’re out the classroom?

tedbaker

You go up to £37.5k on completion of your summative assessments at training school, which are two weeks back at Derby after your 15 weeks traction handling at local depot - circa 36 weeks after your start date.

DJP78

On Moderation
You go up to £37.5k on completion of your summative assessments at training school, which are two weeks back at Derby after your 15 weeks traction handling at local depot - circa 36 weeks after your start date.
Yes. I didn’t make that clear in my earlier response. Apologies

End of Part-B, which is after your 4 months Part-A classroom rules, then 4 months mainline handling, plus 2 weeks back @ Derby again

You’re looking at around 34 weeks on the £28k

A short time between end of Part-B and Summative Assessment. Summative is done at depot with your DTM. Takes around 3 weeks, but your DTM will likely do 1 person at a time. Length of waiting time might depend on numbers going through training at your respective depot and availability of the DTM(s)

Traction courses are being incorporated into the initial training from this year onwards.

Alumni

Does anyone know the durations of each salary stage from start to finish?

Thank you