• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

XC Senior Conductor "on hold prior to assessment" query

Status
Not open for further replies.

G_for_Gnome

I've worked on and around the railways for many years, on and off. I know the job is full of antisocial hours, the odd abusive member of the public, and the occasional stressful incidents - but I really want to be a guard and have wanted this for a couple of years now!

I have an application in with Cross Country for Senior Conductor at New Street, this is from January 2015 - I had an email in March saying that they couldn't invite me to assessment but would keep my application on file for 6 months should another vacancy for Senior Conductor at New Street arise. The recruitment website says "on hold prior to assessment" and "short listing"

This afternoon I see that there are Train Manager jobs advertised at New Street. Does anyone know if my Senior Conductor application that is "on hold" will automatically be considered for the Train Manager position by Cross Country?

I know the roles differ in duties, traction, routes etc but I'm just wondering if it's worth putting a separate application in for the Train Manager position?

I put in a lot of effort into the Senior Conductor application and hope it was a strong application, I don't want to just cut-and-paste for the TM job as I think that would suggest laziness!!

I have sent the recruitment team through a web query through their site, but it came up with a blank page on the iPad when submitted - refreshed and resubmitted and it did the same , so no idea if it's sent - I've now found their generic recruitment email address in an old email (why didn't i just do that first :s !! )

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MuttleyBOT

I've worked on and around the railways for many years, on and off. I know the job is full of antisocial hours, the odd abusive member of the public, and the occasional stressful incidents - but I really want to be a guard and have wanted this for a couple of years now!

I have an application in with Cross Country for Senior Conductor at New Street, this is from January 2015 - I had an email in March saying that they couldn't invite me to assessment but would keep my application on file for 6 months should another vacancy for Senior Conductor at New Street arise. The recruitment website says "on hold prior to assessment" and "short listing"

This afternoon I see that there are Train Manager jobs advertised at New Street. Does anyone know if my Senior Conductor application that is "on hold" will automatically be considered for the Train Manager position by Cross Country?

I know the roles differ in duties, traction, routes etc but I'm just wondering if it's worth putting a separate application in for the Train Manager position?

I put in a lot of effort into the Senior Conductor application and hope it was a strong application, I don't want to just cut-and-paste for the TM job as I think that would suggest laziness!!

I have sent the recruitment team through a web query through their site, but it came up with a blank page on the iPad when submitted - refreshed and resubmitted and it did the same , so no idea if it's sent - I've now found their generic recruitment email address in an old email (why didn't i just do that first :s !! )

Put in another application specific to this role, don't risk losing the opportunity. As your original application got through the sift for Snr Conductor it was obviously good enough but look at it objectively and try to improve it wherever you can, sometimes just by changing the odd word can make all the difference - best of luck mate ;)

Jonfun

Established Member
Aye, put in a seperate application. By all means use your Senior Con one as a base, but make sure you read through the TM job advert and job spec and cover anything additional. Make sure you keep it sensibly structured and keep to the point.

G_for_Gnome

I have compared the Senior Conductor and Train Manager job descriptions, so there is some work to be done.

I have unsuccessful applications with Chiltern and London Midland under my belt from the last couple of years - I think it will be time to call it quits on the whole idea if these XC applications go the same way.

Thanks all for the advice and I'll let you know how it goes.

In short if your on hold for a senior conductor role your application would not be considered for the Train manager role as there different roles in that they have different t&c's different pay and a different working week. If you want to be considered for the TM role i strongly advise applying for it. Good luck

craigybagel

Established Member
I have unsuccessful applications with Chiltern and London Midland under my belt from the last couple of years - I think it will be time to call it quits on the whole idea if these XC applications go the same way.

Thanks all for the advice and I'll let you know how it goes.

Don't set yourself limits on how many times to apply: competition for any railway job these days is ridiculous, especially for trainncrew positions. Keep plugging away. Giving up is the only way you can guarantee NOT getting the job. I know it can be disheartening, but I got a guards job on my 6th or 7th attempt. I've never looked back since, its one of the best jobs on the railway if not anywhere.

G_for_Gnome

Application submitted! Thanks all for the advice given.

I have been getting on with my life should this aspiration come to nothing, and I started a new job just over a month ago. I fear that this will work against me, but I have explained that it is a long-held aspiration.

It's Wait-And-See time...!

Status
Not open for further replies.