• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

XC Shortage of train drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaffa

There have been quite a few CrossCountry trains cancelled either throughout or for part of their journey over the past few days which has been attributed to a "shortage of train drivers". Do we know how long this is likely to last? I can't see anything on their website, just whatever comes up on JourneyCheck on the day. I ask because I'm planning a few trips next week.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SJN

since February 2021, at least 3 courses a year. Mostly the problem is route learning. New starters have limited traction and routes and at this time of year, not many get released due to annual leave.

irish_rail

Established Member
since February 2021, at least 3 courses a year. Mostly the problem is route learning. New starters have limited traction and routes and at this time of year, not many get released due to annual leave.
Exacerbated by XC insistence that qualified drivers transferring must relearn every route! Had this with a gwr driver at Plymouth, went Xc and made to relearn routes he'd been driving IC traction on for years.

class 9

The main shortages are at New Street affecting mainly 170 routes and to a lesser extent Bristol.
No shortages at other depots.

dk1

Veteran Member
I would also imagine the drivers XC do rely on are less than enthusiastic right now & wont go out of their way to assist.

Dieseldriver

Exacerbated by XC insistence that qualified drivers transferring must relearn every route! Had this with a gwr driver at Plymouth, went Xc and made to relearn routes he'd been driving IC traction on for years.
That’s the same at most TOCs as far as I’m aware, thought the EU license was supposed to address these issues

jaffa

The main shortages are at New Street affecting mainly 170 routes and to a lesser extent Bristol.
No shortages at other depots.
There seem to be a few cancellations on the Manchester - Bournemouth route too. Eg the 1645 and 1745 from Bournemouth today. Are the drivers for these based at New St?

jayah

On Moderation
Exacerbated by the huge uplift in their timetable in May.

They have gone from not being able to resource an hourly Cardiff - Birmingham service reliably, to resurrecting much of the pointless dead wood from Princess and beyond, like 5 pairs of Birmingham - York via Doncaster and 3 train pairs to Paignton, on top of the hourly Plymouth service.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
I would also imagine the drivers XC do rely on are less than enthusiastic right now & wont go out of their way to assist.

I like to call this the “overtime negative loop”; fewer people do overtime, so those that do cop the bad shifts and also start to burn out, so fewer people do overtime etc.

dk1

Veteran Member
I like to call this the “overtime negative loop”; fewer people do overtime, so those that do cop the bad shifts and also start to burn out, so fewer people do overtime etc.

Never heard of that term but yes.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Never heard of that term but yes.

Well a negative feedback loop is a common term, but in this context it’s self-made as I’ve seen it happen plenty of times across several industries.

Basically, a downwards spiral in staff availability due to morale, burnout and workload type.

driver9000

Established Member

While it certainly doesn't help that's not just XC that don't recognise existing competence and it's the same for all TOCs that I'm aware of. When I moved company I was sent to "learn" routes I had been driving over just a few days previously with my last employer.

irish_rail

Established Member
While it certainly doesn't help that's not just XC that don't recognise existing competence and it's the same for all TOCs that I'm aware of. When I moved company I was sent to "learn" routes I had been driving over just a few days previously with my last employer.
Hopefully this is something the new GB rail (if it ever happens) can address.

bob007

I'd politely suggest it is your MP who should answer - by their seeking an answer in the normal ways - the question of how long it will last.

"staff shortages" might have a kernel of truth but it masks the other truths (that's the best kind of propaganda, right?).

I can't imagine it is helping any staff who are in dispute with their employers over contracts, pay etc nor applicants put off by contracts/pay/disputes etc that any mention of issues is accompanied by the phrase "staff shortages".

Personally, I would attribute the very large majority of railway issues directly to the DfT.

NEDdrv

Not sure that’s true anymore, new driver at our depot with route knowledge only had to do route questions and have station walk arounds (major stations only). Problem with XC is due to no Rest Day Working although in the current climate not sure it would be any different. Good will has gone. Company is making full use of drv’s T&C’s and this is giving us a sense of what it would be like if the RDG modernisation plans goes ahead. As an ex freight drv I am well aware what might be around the corner if it goes ahead and I would never vote yes for it.

driver9000

Established Member
Hopefully this is something the new GB rail (if it ever happens) can address.

The EU licence certificate was supposed to allow relevant competency to carry to another company but doesn't seem to hold any water. I'm not confident GBR will go that deep if it ever becomes a reality.

12LDA28C

Established Member

Of course this might be perfectly reasonable if the traction you're driving is quite different. Braking points for stations and speed restrictions will be different due to different braking characteristics, variance in stopping points at platforms and so on.

Except there is no rest day work agreement & drivers won’t work overtime as a result i believe.

Not a question of 'won't'. Drivers can't work overtime if there is no RDW in place, even if they wanted to. The mechanism for a driver to work on their Rest Day (a RDW agreement) is not in place.

Taunton

Established Member
Except there is no rest day work agreement & drivers won’t work overtime as a result I believe.
Can someone please explain this to me. I haven't got any "rest day agreement" with my employer either, but if asked to, and appropriately compensated, I do.

dk1

Veteran Member
Can someone please explain this to me. I haven't got any "rest day agreement" with my employer either, but if asked to, and appropriately compensated, I do.

That’s not how it works with train drivers/ASLEF/TOCs/FOCs

Our union has agreements with employers that must be upheld in which to allow rest day working. This includes many things including guaranteed leave, training & filling vacant positions for full depot establishments.

jayah

On Moderation
Not a question of 'won't'. Drivers can't work overtime if there is no RDW in place, even if they wanted to. The mechanism for a driver to work on their Rest Day (a RDW agreement) is not in place.
You'll need to elaborate.

No overtime or no rest days?

No mechanism? It isn't the most difficult concept.

Does it apply to non union drivers too?

Status
Not open for further replies.