• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

York - Abingdon mon 19th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ploughman

Established Member
I need to get to the Ashville Trading estate at Abingdon South of Oxford on Monday 19th from York.
I think my best option is
XC from York - Birmingham
XC Birmingham - Oxford
Bus x 2 to the Community Hospital in Abingdon and then walk.

Is there a quicker / better way?
Is there a nearer station with a taxi / bus?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Veteran Member
Culham and Radley are nearer, but have only local trains (and I doubt taxis), so I wouldn't bother.
Googlemaps is suggesting via Didcot rather than Oxford, and I suspect there is a nearer bus stop to your destination too. (I find Googlemaps easier to use than Traveline, but doublecheck their info, as they don't take minimum connection times into account.)
I would in any case consider travelling via London on an Advance, unless you are split-ticketing Offpeak Day Returns on the XC route.

route:oxford

Established Member
I need to get to the Ashville Trading estate at Abingdon South of Oxford on Monday 19th from York.
I think my best option is
XC from York - Birmingham
XC Birmingham - Oxford
Bus x 2 to the Community Hospital in Abingdon and then walk.

Is there a quicker / better way?
Is there a nearer station with a taxi / bus?

The X2 operates between Oxford & Didcot (& Wallingford) - so you can reach the estate from either direction. There are alternatives buses every few minutes to central Abingdon from Oxford too. It's one of those rare opportunities to go hurtling down one of the UK's roads that you are most likely to die on at 60ish mph whilst standing hanging on for dear life onto a steel pole.

By rail, I'd probably go East Coast to London then out to Didcot for the X2. It'll help avoid the terrible roadworks outside Oxford Station too.

To be honest though, if you can drive and the traffic is favourable, it's easier to jump in the car. You should be able to do it in 3 hours each way.

W-on-Sea

Established Member
You won't get the X2 from Oxford Station - you'd need to walk 15-20 minutes to St Aldates (by Christ Church) for that. (Or hop on pretty much any bus from the station forecourt to there - the adult fare, at least on the Oxford Bus co and Stagecoach buses is £1.10 for that stretch). As well as the X2, you can get the Stagecoach S8 from one of the other stops at St Aldates. There are plenty of other buses (X3, X13) that go to Abingdon, but stop at the town centre, some way short of the hospital.

It's conceivable it might just work out quicker to go to Didcot and get the X2 from there.

Royston Vasey

Established Member
Also highly recommend London, Didcot and the frequent fast X2. You might even get Didcot as a cheap "and connections" type add-on to the York to London advance. Radley is closer but the bus isn't as good and the train much slower to there.

If you do use XC to Oxford, splitting opportunities will help you. Banbury springs to mind.

cm39275

Surly a better idea would be to take the 1 train per hour direct from York to Oxford rather than Changing at Birmingham new street or traveling via London

Mitchell Hurd

On Moderation
I live in Abingdon and have done since October 2005. If you need advice on transport on buses etc in Abingdon anytime then just drop me an email and I should be able help you.

Status
Not open for further replies.